OT: 2019 Football Thread: Part IV – More like the "Football Thread", amirite?

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I know the Jets need offensive line help but I feel if we pass on Jeudy or Lamb at 11 (if they're available) we will regret it for years. I don't have the numbers to back this up but I feel like high-drafted o-linemen bust at a higher rate than receivers. It seems like the skillset for a standout college receiver translates pretty well to the pros. If you're fast and can catch, that works in any league.
Jets have only drafted 4 wrs in the 1st round in 60 years: keyshawn, toon, Moss and of course Johnny lam Jones. Before drafting darnold, the most recent first round pick of an offensive player was the sanchize. And you wonder why the Jets offense has been trash?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Jets have only drafted 4 wrs in the 1st round in 60 years: keyshawn, toon, Moss and of course Johnny lam Jones. Before drafting darnold, the most recent first round pick of an offensive player was the sanchize. And you wonder why the Jets offense has been trash?

I don't wonder, no.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I know the Jets need offensive line help but I feel if we pass on Jeudy or Lamb at 11 (if they're available) we will regret it for years. I don't have the numbers to back this up but I feel like high-drafted o-linemen bust at a higher rate than receivers. It seems like the skillset for a standout college receiver translates pretty well to the pros. If you're fast and can catch, that works in any league.

I'd be fine with any of Jeudy/Lamb/Wirfs/Wills/Becton at 11. If they're all gone, trade down I guess.

I do really want one of the WR. I know the line is prob more of a need - but it'd be fun to get one of those guys.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Giants seem way too quiet when they are in desperate need of Pass Rush help. Like real good pass rush help.

Even if they bring back Golden who I like a lot, I still dont see the large step forward from this Defense overall. I feel like it is a lot of the same. Sure they can draft Simmons, but thats one guy and I think they needed more than that. And they still may draft an OL at #4. And possibly a WR in the 2nd round. You dont have your 3rd (f***ing moron Gettleman) and you dont have your 4th or 5th with Williams staying around (also a very questionable decision).

Bradberry is definitely an upgrade to Apple.

Does Baker eventually become an upgrade to Jenkins?

I think Love can be better than Bethea with time.

Martinez a slight upgrade to Ogeltree, but similar LBs who have a weakness in pass coverage.

Connelly coming back. You hope he is that steal draft pick you thought he was last season. You hope.

Zo Carter you are hoping becomes a big time LB.

XMan should get more snaps, you hope he is another young guy who improves.

Fackrell is a blah pickup.

Tomlinson, Hill, Lawrence....did they really need the freaking money spent on Williams?? Just let the youth play there.

Golden and who? I dont even want Clowney but Id rather him than no one. I doubt we could afford both which is why keeping Williams was just stupid. Fowler was there. Floyd was there. Fowler would have been a good add. TRADE FOR NGAKOUE. Just disappointing.

Golden-Ngakoue-Simmons would have been much more helpful for the defense than Golden-Williams-Simmons. And this is if they draft Simmons.

You draft Simmons and your LB group is Simmons-Carter-Connelly-Martinez in some sets. XMan and Fackrell jumping in on certain downs with less drop off to give the main guys a break.

Just feel like this defense hasnt changed a ton and it has sucked for 3 years. We are banking on A LOT of youth to become more prominent players.

@Hunter Gathers thoughts?

Adam Fox Time

Jan 1, 2020
Or they trade down.

Would they have, though? The Giants needed a quarterback back then and most likely would have just taken a QB if they didn't like Saquon so much.

Also don't forget, Josh Rosen was one of the top QBs at the time. I mean they easily could have drafted Dwayne Haskins instead of Jones. I'll just be happy with what they have and move on from there.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't disagree in the least. I think you hit the nail on the head for the most part.
To me there is too much money being gambled on”hope”. It is somewhat why I was so in favor of the Rangers signing Panarin. You cannot possibly 1) rely on all your youth taking significant steps forward with them filling your most, if not all, of your starting spots and most important roles and 2) you need someone to lead the way, a veteran who has the credibility for the youth to believe in. You cant just sign any Vet. These kids may “respect” them but they wont believe in them.

Again, as I said, it seems like as it stands the defense is very similar to what it was last year. The only upgrade is Bradberry who is a CB. Sure a great CB can certainly help, but they play off the ball most of the game. If you dont have the secondary help around him and if you dont have the pass rush to put pressure on the QB, that great CB just becomes exposed. I would rather a great pass rush and average CBs to be honest. A great pass rush makes QBs uncomfortable and shortens the amount of time the secondary has to cover Receivers. As long as you have an athletic and competent CB you can end up with a great D.

So while I appreciate the effort signing a top CB, its a bit of misplaced energy to a degree. I am happy to have him, but they need more. There pass rush is their biggest concern. They could end up with Young or Simmons. But, while Gettleman has a good track record drafting you still dont ever know what they will do. They could go defense, they could go OT. I am not that impressed with the Tackles in this draft. They dont seem as impactful as the top D guys at #4.

But I think they must find a way to sign Golden AND Clowney. Unfortunately. I do not think they can roll out that defense and expect the youth to make positive strides if they are constantly getting exposed all over the field. The youth needs to develop in an experienced fully capable D as a unit. Not feel like they are putting out fires all over the field. One game they are covering the middle of the field well, the next they are not. One game the secondary looks tight with coverage and gaps, the next its open season.

If it hasnt happened with the Eagles, Gettleman should be swooping in on Ngakoue over Clowney

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
To me there is too much money being gambled on”hope”. It is somewhat why I was so in favor of the Rangers signing Panarin. You cannot possibly 1) rely on all your youth taking significant steps forward with them filling your most, if not all, of your starting spots and most important roles and 2) you need someone to lead the way, a veteran who has the credibility for the youth to believe in. You cant just sign any Vet. These kids may “respect” them but they wont believe in them.

Again, as I said, it seems like as it stands the defense is very similar to what it was last year. The only upgrade is Bradberry who is a CB. Sure a great CB can certainly help, but they play off the ball most of the game. If you dont have the secondary help around him and if you dont have the pass rush to put pressure on the QB, that great CB just becomes exposed. I would rather a great pass rush and average CBs to be honest. A great pass rush makes QBs uncomfortable and shortens the amount of time the secondary has to cover Receivers. As long as you have an athletic and competent CB you can end up with a great D.

So while I appreciate the effort signing a top CB, its a bit of misplaced energy to a degree. I am happy to have him, but they need more. There pass rush is their biggest concern. They could end up with Young or Simmons. But, while Gettleman has a good track record drafting you still dont ever know what they will do. They could go defense, they could go OT. I am not that impressed with the Tackles in this draft. They dont seem as impactful as the top D guys at #4.

But I think they must find a way to sign Golden AND Clowney. Unfortunately. I do not think they can roll out that defense and expect the youth to make positive strides if they are constantly getting exposed all over the field. The youth needs to develop in an experienced fully capable D as a unit. Not feel like they are putting out fires all over the field. One game they are covering the middle of the field well, the next they are not. One game the secondary looks tight with coverage and gaps, the next its open season.

If it hasnt happened with the Eagles, Gettleman should be swooping in on Ngakoue over Clowney

The Giants are in a weird spot for Ngakoue though. The Jags are going to want a 1st. The Giants 1st is too high. Probably can't center it around the 3rd, but it's 3rd round comp pick (the Jets have the Giants 3rd). Are you willing to go 2nd and 3rd? Cause I think that's prob the asking price.

Clowney is just money at least.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The Giants are in a weird spot for Ngakoue though. The Jags are going to want a 1st. The Giants 1st is too high. Probably can't center it around the 3rd, but it's 3rd round comp pick (the Jets have the Giants 3rd). Are you willing to go 2nd and 3rd? Cause I think that's prob the asking price.

Clowney is just money at least.
Fair points but Clowney isn’t just money to me. He had that significant injury early in his career and has been underwhelming since. He has not matched the hype. He is 27 years old. Ngakoue is 24 years old, has played all but 1 game in his first 4 seasons and has more sacks already than Clowney does who has played one full season over the last 5.

I don’t know, to me I’d rather invest in Ngakoue. But I can understand not wanting to part with multiple picks. Especially when you have less from that jackass Williams trade, making it even more infuriating that it happened.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Fair points but Clowney isn’t just money to me. He had that significant injury early in his career and has been underwhelming since. He has not matched the hype. He is 27 years old. Ngakoue is 24 years old, has played all but 1 game in his first 4 seasons and has more sacks already than Clowney does who has played one full season over the last 5.

I don’t know, to me I’d rather invest in Ngakoue. But I can understand not wanting to part with multiple picks. Especially when you have less from that jackass Williams trade, making it even more infuriating that it happened.

Yeah Clowney is definitely a risk because of the injuries. I just don't see how the jags ask for anything less than a 1st. Probably get someone like Minnesota with 2 late 1sts to trade for him. The risk makes more sense for a team ready to win now. It's a tough trade to make for a developing team.

Reactions: Bob Richards

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
It's refreshing to have a competent and patient GM. Douglas is clearly aware of this team's flaws and has addressed them the right way in free agency. The key will be how he ultimately fares in the draft though, as the Jets have been one of the worst drafting teams in the history of sports.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It's refreshing to have a competent and patient GM. Douglas is clearly aware of this team's flaws and has addressed them the right way in free agency. The key will be how he ultimately fares in the draft though, as the Jets have been one of the worst drafting teams in the history of sports.
Yeah that’s what I’ve been saying . I’m reserving judgement on JD until I see him draft. The Jets have had like 2 good drafts in their history and that was in the early 2000s, which was coincidentally the last time they were any good.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Yeah that’s what I’ve been saying . I’m reserving judgement on JD until I see him draft. The Jets have had like 2 good drafts in their history and that was in the early 2000s, which was coincidentally the last time they were any good.

That's really what it all comes down to. Great teams that compete in the playoffs consistently are the ones that make the most of their draft picks, especially in Rounds 3 through 7 to fill in depth.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Well Robbie Anderson is gone. Praying Jeudy or Lamb falls to 11 and we take them. In fact the Jets should try to draft at least 2 or 3 wide receivers in this draft.

Reactions: Maximus

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Jets have the worst wr Corp in the league, even drafting one at 11 and asking him to be your number one guy, and go up against every top corner is a dangerous game to play.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Giants sign Austin Johnson...yet another DT...

He had good underlying numbers but WHY. I think were just gona start all DTs in the front 7. No DEs or LBs, just DTs.

GettleLOLZ

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

Jet were actually very good in the late 2000's as they did make two AFC championship games in a row but I hear what your saying.

I felt originally from the initial hire of Douglass when I read his resume with the Ravens and Eagles and his impact on both teams success, that the Jets just might have found the right guy to right the ship.

Well so far from everything he has done, Douglass hasn't dissapointed. His moves thus far tho not flashy at all, has put them in a position where at the 11 slot, he can go either WR or O-Line and that's a nice place to be. If Jeudy is there(I think Lamb will be gonzo by than) for the taking especially now with the signing of Perriman, I think you take him and don't look back.

You've now given Darnold two sweet WR targets to go along with Crowder and Herndon at TE plus Lev Bell, that's some pretty decent weaponry to go to war with. Douglass than addresses the rest of the draft to get a CB, an edge rusher and fortify even more so that O-line, I'd consider that a hell of an off-season.

Bottom line, just like with Gorton with the Rangers, I feel very confident with Douglass in charge. And even tho I'm still not an Adam Gase fan at all, I think if there are enough weapons and Darnold can be protected better than he was last year which he has to be, the Jets can make some noise this upcoming season.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad