Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’d prefer dudes back-check all the time, I just know that it’s not going to happen.

I do too, but as you said, that's not realistic...and it won't be until we start using robot-players...

So when we're talking about guys who we're banking on driving chance creation, night in & night out; I prioritize them continuing to try to make things happen -- even though things aren't going our way -- over them focusing their energy on backchecking instead. If you want more backchecking as a coach then you can lean on your energy line more...especially if you have a Bennett on that line, being one of the only Flames experiencing any success doing his thing...what you want from your creators is for them to continue trying to get something going. At least to me.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I do too, but as you said, that's not realistic...and it won't be until we start using robot-players...

So when we're talking about guys who we're banking on driving chance creation, night in & night out; I prioritize them continuing to try to make things happen -- even though things aren't going our way -- over them focusing their energy on backchecking instead. If you want more backchecking as a coach then you can lean on your energy line more...especially if you have a Bennett on that line, being one of the only Flames experiencing any success doing his thing...what you want from your creators is for them to continue trying to get something going. At least to me.

Agreed.

On a somewhat similar note. I was worried early in the season that Bednar might coach the creativity out of Makar’s game. Asking him to not make any mistakes and not worry about attacking. Glad that didn’t happen.

Reactions: cgf

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He won’t waive out of Vancouver. Loves it there, got a NMC, I’m pretty certain he’s a lifer.

Also, can’t say I’m high on Martinez if the goal is a smarter defense that does less stupid ****. He’s pretty good at doing stupid **** with the puck.

The LHD market looks pretty bleak. Minny might sell but I doubt they’d ship Brodin our way. There’s always Ryan Murray in Columbus, could see them shipping out a D. Murray has I njury issues, but if looking for a steady second pairing guy he’s actually the best fit I can reasonably see. Wonder if CBJ looks to recoup some picks and prospects at some point if they continue falling flat this year.

Yeah I'm definitely not recommending Martinez, just saying if there's a real need for another "interim" guy he'd be one of the better options out there. But that's not to say he, or anyone else really, would be a good option.

I just feel like Ian Cole is an "interim" guy on the blueline, and let's face facts, so are Zadorov and Johnson. Z is not going to be on the team next season, and a tough decision may have to be made about EJ before the expansion draft takes place. The projected defensive core going forward (for now) is Girard, Makar, Byram, and Timmins.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah I'm definitely not recommending Martinez, just saying if there's a real need for another "interim" guy he'd be one of the better options out there. But that's not to say he, or anyone else really, would be a good option.

I just feel like Ian Cole is an "interim" guy on the blueline, and let's face facts, so are Zadorov and Johnson. Z is not going to be on the team next season, and a tough decision may have to be made about EJ before the expansion draft takes place. The projected defensive core going forward (for now) is Girard, Makar, Byram, and Timmins.
EJ isn't going anywhere. He's going from 1st pairing to 2nd pairing to 3rd pairing to retirement. Pretty sure that's the plan.

Edit: Looking at Capfriendly, EJ will make close to 70M throughout his NHL career. Pretty crazy numbers for a guy like him.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
EJ isn't going anywhere. He's going from 1st pairing to 2nd pairing to 3rd pairing to retirement. Pretty sure that's the plan.

Well, not having Barrie around anymore makes things a little easier, since now for sure they only have to protect Makar and Girard. As Hench mentioned though, there may be some complications regarding Timmins. They can protect three to four defensemen, so it's entirely possible they just keep EJ. I certainly wouldn't mind him sticking around until he's done, but I just don't know what things will look like come 2021.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Coming from someone who was never on a debate team...

giphy.gif

url

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO

Edit: Looking at Capfriendly, EJ will make close to 70M throughout his NHL career. Pretty crazy numbers for a guy like him.
I wonder if he makes any decent money from his horses. Dude has put up some wins there hasnt he?

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017

There it is. There’s our target. I’ve been saying that every year there seems to be a relatively young star player who is shopped/moved and that’s who Joe will chase. Nobody has the assets we have. I doubt they want to trade him within the conference (if they trade him at all) but we can make it happen.

this is a one sided opinion of one person so it’s not a certainty they actually shop him. If they do though, get him.

Hell no! After watching him in the series against us, I would never want a guy like that in the locker room. Am I the only one who witnessed him bitching at the refs while in the handshake line with the Avs? I can't remember ever seeing a better example of a guy being immature, disrespectful, and whiny all in the same moment.

Yeah, the guy has tons of talents and puts up tons of points. But I'd rather have players I want to cheer for. I love how Avs players talk about the atmosphere in the locker room. I don't want to see that ruined.

Reactions: Patagonia

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I really don't think people should be too worried about the expansion draft. When the time comes, it's not like Seattle is going to say "we're not negotiating with anybody, **** all you GM's we're taking who we want and you'll like it."

They are going to be open to deals because it could potentially lead to more acquired assets. If there are players Joe Sakic doesn't want Seattle touching, then he's very likely going to have that conversation with Seattle and discuss what can be done to ensure those players are kept on the Avalanche, even if they aren't technically protected.

In saying that, by no means does Seattle have to oblige and take deals that aren't beneficial towards them. But I do think the fear of not protecting certain players is a little overblown.

Just as long as you don't go full Florida and panic, you should be fine.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I really don't think people should be too worried about the expansion draft. When the time comes, it's not like Seattle is going to say "we're not negotiating with anybody, **** all you GM's we're taking who we want and you'll like it."

They are going to be open to deals because it could potentially lead to more acquired assets. If there are players Joe Sakic doesn't want Seattle touching, then he's very likely going to have that conversation with Seattle and discuss what can be done to ensure those players are kept on the Avalanche, even if they aren't technically protected.

In saying that, by no means does Seattle have to oblige and take deals that aren't beneficial towards them. But I do think the fear of not protecting certain players is a little overblown.

Teams that made deals with Vegas got hosed. Now maybe it's different with Seattle, but they can ask for an overpayment and all the other teams can do is agree or Seattle is simply picking whoever they want.

Don't make deals, just lose one player and be done with it.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Florida didn't panic, they got spiteful. Tallon got rid of Smith and Marchessault, two of the key pickups made by his predecessor (though there was some very weird fallout with Smith in FLA, to this day no one except Henchy knows what it was). If any teams panicked it was definitely Anaheim and Minnesota. We likely won't see that this time around.

You're right in that it shouldn't be a major stressor but I am curious as to how the Avs handle the expansion draft this time around. Last time they handled it by being the Worst Team EVER and only lost the backup goalie. This time around they'll be a bigger target for the expansion franchise.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hell no! After watching him in the series against us, I would never want a guy like that in the locker room. Am I the only one who witnessed him *****ing at the refs while in the handshake line with the Avs? I can't remember ever seeing a better example of a guy being immature, disrespectful, and whiny all in the same moment.

Yeah, the guy has tons of talents and puts up tons of points. But I'd rather have players I want to cheer for. I love how Avs players talk about the atmosphere in the locker room. I don't want to see that ruined.

He's unraveled a couple times against the Avs, remember when he got kicked out of a game?

I'm not worried about any sort of lack of maturity. Nathan MacKinnon used to have the same exact issue, and it was on display as late as last season. And even he has acknowledged it, and grown since then. And I doubt he's completely cured of it--I mean, the guy's human, as is Gaudreau.

If you want to talk about whiners, have you ever see Jonathan Toews? For all the flack Sidney Crosby gets about supposedly crying to the refs, Toews yaps at the men in stripes seemingly every shift. And he's the captain!

If it were possible to get Johnny Hockey, I'd trade for him in a second. Tremendous talent. The only guy with supposed "character issues" I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole is Mike Hoffman. Unlike a lot of the other guys that get talked about, I think he really does have character issues.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
This time around the Avs have a lot better assets available to the expansion team. Because of that I am sure it wouldn't cost a very high pick to protect EJ if he waives his NMC. IMO a 4-6 round pick would be enough. If Timmins doesn't get a protection waiver this needs to be done. It's a small price to pay in order to be able to go 3-7. If Timmins is protected thy will need to decide if they still want to pay that price in order to protect either Z or Rosen. Let's not forget that Frankie will also be available if he re-signs with the Avs and if he keeps playing like he has so far he might be the perfect goalie to pick up by Seattle. He might prefer to test UFA this summer though.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
Hell no! After watching him in the series against us, I would never want a guy like that in the locker room. Am I the only one who witnessed him *****ing at the refs while in the handshake line with the Avs? I can't remember ever seeing a better example of a guy being immature, disrespectful, and whiny all in the same moment.

Lol I’m sure you know all about Jonny gaudreau’s character, are you the flames former stick boy? Your logic is that he complains to refs, so you don’t want him? should we trade Nate? Should Pitts trade Crosby? Personally I love a player that is fired up after a loss & Gaudreau just put up 99 points with lindholm & Monahan.... that’s elite, and the avs would be absolutely set if we snagged Jonny. Especially with his 6.75 aav which expires before Nates next contract. you want players you’d want to cheer for, well the avalanche want players that will help them win.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'M OK with a 6M deadweight for a division rival but man, this is bad.

I'd argue Granlund and Smith have been worse than Turris this year... 16m between those 3 this year. Though those other two are over this summer. I think Turris will get dealt somewhere like Buffalo and recover fairly nicely. Not back to his mid 50 point days, but solidly in the upper 40s and provide a solid center option in the middle 6.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This may be an unpopular take but I don't think Johnny Hockey was necessarily wrong to put the refs on blast. He got absolutely mugged in that series, but for some reason that's just what's allowed in the postseason. I mean, it's not like MacKinnon didn't have to fight his way through a ton of clutching and grabbing himself, so my sympathy only extends so far, but Gaudreau wasn't out of line. Plus, given how badly the Flames imploded in the postseason after being the best team in the West in the regular season, I'd be frustrated as all hell as well.

That said, I'd still like to see it called more like the regular season, with an emphasis on slashing calls.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Teams that made deals with Vegas got hosed. Now maybe it's different with Seattle, but they can ask for an overpayment and all the other teams can do is agree or Seattle is simply picking whoever they want.
Friedman was told that GM's won't do that mistake again with Seattle. They'll let them pick a player and that's it, no deal.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Remember as a rookie when Gaudreau took the playoffs by storm and everyone was cranking it to Johnny Hockey videos.

I realize he’s small, but perhaps going head to head against Mackinnon every night is harder than people realize. I’ll give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I’d bet he’s more of rookie Gaudreau going forward in the playoffs than what we saw last playoffs when his team simply got absolutely steamrolled

Reactions: cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad