Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Yeah I'm definitely not recommending Martinez, just saying if there's a real need for another "interim" guy he'd be one of the better options out there. But that's not to say he, or anyone else really, would be a good option.

I just feel like Ian Cole is an "interim" guy on the blueline, and let's face facts, so are Zadorov and Johnson. Z is not going to be on the team next season, and a tough decision may have to be made about EJ before the expansion draft takes place. The projected defensive core going forward (for now) is Girard, Makar, Byram, and Timmins.
Agree with Martinez, but don’t necessarily agree with the Z and EJ parts. I doubt EJ will waive, and if he does, it will be so that we can protect someone else and work out a deal with Seattle to not pick EJ.

With Z though, I think that he’s for sure going to be on the team next year (at least to start) unless we get an offer that’s too good to pass up. He’s still an RFA and to ask Byram or Timmins to immediately fill a top 4 role on a cup contender is ambitious and very risky. I see us hanging onto Z for 1 more year (essentially as our rental), allowing Byram/Timmins time to adjust.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Friedman doesn't know the thoughts of every GM, though.
He could be speaking for those that massively overpaid last time.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Remember as a rookie when Gaudreau took the playoffs by storm and everyone was cranking it to Johnny Hockey videos.

I realize he’s small, but perhaps going head to head against Mackinnon every night is harder than people realize. I’ll give the guy the benefit of the doubt. I’d bet he’s more of rookie Gaudreau going forward in the playoffs than what we saw last playoffs when his team simply got absolutely steamrolled

Gaudreau really needs a big guy creating space out there for him like Monahan in order to be effective. When the two of them are on, they're really hard to handle, and the perfect complements to one another. Johnny is a fast, slick playmaker who can shoot and create offense in a number of ways. Boring is big, slower, and does most of his damage along the boards and in front of the net. The problem is that Monahan keeps getting hurt and the Flames don't have someone else ready to jump in to take his place. That's why the Flames tried to trade for Kadri. Right now there just isn't a viable option at center for when Monahan goes down.

Unfortunately the number two guy in Calgary is still Backlund, and as much as I love the guy as a defensive forward with some offensive pop, he's not really a 2C. And that was made abundantly clear in the postseason when MacKinnon, Makar, and the rest of the Avs big guns tore him to shreds*.

*Watch Backlund get like four goals tonight as I post this...

Reactions: cgf

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This may be an unpopular take but I don't think Johnny Hockey was necessarily wrong to put the refs on blast. He got absolutely mugged in that series, but for some reason that's just what's allowed in the postseason. I mean, it's not like MacKinnon didn't have to fight his way through a ton of clutching and grabbing himself, so my sympathy only extends so far, but Gaudreau wasn't out of line. Plus, given how badly the Flames imploded in the postseason after being the best team in the West in the regular season, I'd be frustrated as all hell as well.

That said, I'd still like to see it called more like the regular season, with an emphasis on slashing calls.

Postseason officiating drives me crazy. The refs just put away the whistles, which definitely doesn’t help a team like the Avs who are built on speed and skill.

Reactions: cgf and Pokecheque

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Postseason officiating drives me crazy. The refs just put away the whistles, which definitely doesn’t help a team like the Avs who are built on speed and skill.

Also doesn't help casual fans trying to get into the sport if their hardcore friends have to spend half the game saying "Yeah, you're right. According to the rules that was a _____ penalty; but it's the playoffs".

...and we know how much the NHL cares about expanding its casual fanbase...

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If Gaudreau was made available, and the Avs were to go after him, I'd imagine Girard would be a part of the package going the other way.

Not sure how I would feel about it. Girard is the same age as Makar, which is always easy to forget. LD isn't a strength of the Avs either.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If Gaudreau was made available, and the Avs were to go after him, I'd imagine Girard would be a part of the package going the other way.

Not sure how I would feel about it. Girard is the same age as Makar, which is always easy to forget. LD isn't a strength of the Avs either.

Can't say that I agree. Byram would be tempting to them because he's such a high caliber prospect & he's so young; not because he's a LS. Between Valimaki, Andersson, Hanifin, etc. their young blueliners are actually a strength for them -- with two of those first three being LS -- even if I've never been much of a Kylington fan.

Turning Monahan into a franchise #1 or getting someone to bounce him down to the 2C, is the only way to fix that core; even if it means dramatically re-shaping the roster and needing to regroup for a couple of seasons.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Can't say that I agree. Byram would be tempting to them because he's such a high caliber prospect & he's so young; not because he's a LS. Between Valimaki, Andersson, Hanifin, etc. their young blueliners are actually a strength for them -- with two of those first three being LS -- even if I've never been much of a Kylington fan.

Turning Monahan into a franchise #1 or getting someone to bounce him down to the 2C, is the only way to fix that core; even if it means dramatically re-shaping the roster and needing to regroup for a couple of seasons.
I wasn't saying the Flames would want Girard because he's a LD, but because he is a good young defenceman that is locked up long term at a good cap hit.

Perhaps they would prefer a prospect, but I would think if the choice was between a 22+ minute a night 21 year old, or an 18 year old in the WHL, they would take the guy in the NHL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wasn't saying the Flames would want Girard because he's a LD, but because he is a good young defenceman that is locked up long term at a good cap hit.

Perhaps they would prefer a prospect, but I would think if the choice was between a 22+ minute a night 21 year old, or an 18 year old in the WHL, they would take the guy in the NHL.

I mean, I suspect that they'd want a 1-for-1 swap if they did move Gaudreau. Just saying that if they settle for a package they'll probably prioritize getting a bluechipper over getting an immediate contributor.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I mean, I suspect that they'd want a 1-for-1 swap if they did move Gaudreau. Just saying that if they settle for a package they'll probably prioritize getting a bluechipper over getting an immediate contributor.
Fair enough. I hope we get to see it happen and the return. Not that it'll likely involve the Avs, it's just alway exciting seeing Stars traded.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If the Leafs continue to flounder, the Avs should go right after Nylander. His contract is now below market, he's the right age, skilled, versatile, etc. Plus Timmins fills an organizational need (young RD with potential on ELC), was drafted by Dubas, coached by Keefe... and the Avs have their first to throw in a deal when the Leafs lack one in a deep draft. Avs 1st + Timmins + as a base...

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
If the Leafs continue to flounder, the Avs should go right after Nylander. His contract is now below market, he's the right age, skilled, versatile, etc. Plus Timmins fills an organizational need (young RD with potential on ELC), was drafted by Dubas, coached by Keefe... and the Avs have their first to throw in a deal when the Leafs lack one in a deep draft. Avs 1st + Timmins + as a base...
I’m certainly interested in Nylander, although I think Timmins + 1st is a heavy price.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
They are not trading Nylander for futures unless they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by the trade deadline. If they trade him it's going to be for immediate help at D, like Brett Pesce.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
They are not trading Nylander for futures unless they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by the trade deadline. If they trade him it's going to be for immediate help at D, like Brett Pesce.

Yeah I agree. Zadorov COULD get the conversation started, but I'd rather look elsewhere. Look to the teams who consider themselves out of the playoff race.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

They'd have to logically be out of the playoffs to move Nylander (hence 'If the Leafs continue to flounder'), but he's the most logical player to trade to open up cap for them. His cap hit is high, but not so high it eliminates teams from paying up and he has enough value to bring back good pieces. I also don't see Carolina moving Pesce for him... they don't need that level of forward anymore with Necas rounding into form and Svech on the verge of becoming a star.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think they'll eventually have to move one of Marner/Nylander. Their roster is too top heavy to compete and after this summer when Barrie is gone and possibly Muzzin they're going to be hurting bad for defensemen (even more than now) with no way to pay for them.

The moment they signed JT they locked themselves into eventually having to choose between one of Marner/Nylander.

Sucks for them Liljegren didn't pan out. I will never forget Leaf fans thinking they got the best defenseman in the draft.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
They would be over the moon if they could get Pesce. I doubt that Nylander would be enough for that.

But you’re right that they wouldn’t trade for futures (unless they really fall apart), so we’d have to include a 3rd team.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
They would be over the moon if they could get Pesce. I doubt that Nylander would be enough for that.

But you’re right that they wouldn’t trade for futures (unless they really fall apart), so we’d have to include a 3rd team.

Babcock would be over the moon, I don't think Dubas would be.

This team is clearly built to generate offense from the blueline. Virtually every guy they have has a modicum of puck skill. The guys that had little to no puck skill (Zaitsev, Hainsey) were sent packing. No surprise that Babs loved those two.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Agree with Martinez, but don’t necessarily agree with the Z and EJ parts. I doubt EJ will waive, and if he does, it will be so that we can protect someone else and work out a deal with Seattle to not pick EJ.

With Z though, I think that he’s for sure going to be on the team next year (at least to start) unless we get an offer that’s too good to pass up. He’s still an RFA and to ask Byram or Timmins to immediately fill a top 4 role on a cup contender is ambitious and very risky. I see us hanging onto Z for 1 more year (essentially as our rental), allowing Byram/Timmins time to adjust.

I'm afraid you're going to be very, very disappointed when Z leaves or gets traded. I'll be flabbergasted if he re-ups in Colorado. They've already had one rough negotiation and narrowly avoided another one this summer. He took a cheap one-year "prove it" deal and he won't do that again. The Avs are not going to pay him what he is seeking, period. Whether that's fair to Z or not is beside the point, but it's not happening regardless. Z will either find his payday in the NHL with another club, or he'll find it in the KHL. But dude is gonna get paid, one way or another.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm afraid you're going to be very, very disappointed when Z leaves or gets traded. I'll be flabbergasted if he re-ups in Colorado. They've already had one rough negotiation and narrowly avoided another one this summer. He took a cheap one-year "prove it" deal and he won't do that again. The Avs are not going to pay him what he is seeking, period. Whether that's fair to Z or not is beside the point, but it's not happening regardless. Z will either find his payday in the NHL with another club, or he'll find it in the KHL. But dude is gonna get paid, one way or another.

Yup... to me he clearly looks like a draft day deal sort of guy. The Avs will have Bryam coming into the fold next season, along with their love of Graves and another season of sitting through Cole's contract. Can't see the Avs going down the Z negotiations again. I don't see the Avs trading Z during the season because there isn't going to be an internal replacement ready. On draft day they they will look to recoup their 2nd round pick with somebody needing some depth. They may or may not get that, but I'd bet that is the plan.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yup... to me he clearly looks like a draft day deal sort of guy. The Avs will have Bryam coming into the fold next season, along with their love of Graves and another season of sitting through Cole's contract. Can't see the Avs going down the Z negotiations again. I don't see the Avs trading Z during the season because there isn't going to be an internal replacement ready. On draft day they they will look to recoup their 2nd round pick with somebody needing some depth. They may or may not get that, but I'd bet that is the plan.

Oh man if they get a 2nd rounder for Z, I think that's a good trade.

I love Z, love his personality, and I love the physicality, but I also know that his game is always going to be very limited. The Avs will need to start worrying about cap space going forward, and giving Z upwards of $3-4 million would be insane.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

I'm not so sure Zadorov will want to sign another 1 year contract.... and part of his value for any team that acquires him next will be that they can dictate the term and AAV on his next contract. If the Avs sign him to a multi-year deal, it might remove some flexibility for potential trade partners. With both of those facets in mind, the optimal time to trade him is clearly next summer.

The closer we get to the expansion draft the more teams will be trying to trade to consolidate their roster ahead of the ED, so that will probably also negatively affect the return we could get for Zadorov after next summer if he would stick around for a little bit beyond the summer.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Zadorov is among my favourite AVs, but accepted the possibility of being moved. He wants the opportunity and the money associated which is his right. It’s almost a certainty to be a permanent 3rd liner within the next 1-2 years as Byram matures. He’ll be fantastic in the role, but likely seeking 2nd line money which would be too high. I wouldn’t be surprised if moved prior to the TDL, but he is gone by the Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->