Rumor: 2019-2020 Trade Rumours and Free Agent Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Graves isn't going anywhere neither is Cole. You might as well get used to that. And I'm not sure Timmins is better than those 2 anyways.

And EJ is under contract for another 3 years.

So like I said for at least the next 2 years he is blocked by 7 Dmen and that's not even counting Byram.

And there’s a good chance he’ll be better 2 of those 3 guys that I mentioned next season?

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Me.

Go back 3 years and offer Makar in some of these rediculous proposals and lets see how that works out.
Good to know you’re a front office guy that can speak to this issue.

And let’s not make the Makar comparison. Byram is a great prospect, but he is not and never will be Makar.

Reactions: cgf

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
And let’s not make the Makar comparison. Byram is a great prospect, but he is not and never will be Makar.

While it's probably true, no one knows.

Byram on draft year > Makar on draft year
Byram on D+1 >= Makar D+1

So yeah, can't say with certainty that he won't be as good because so far he's been ahead of Makar in his development.

Last year's Byram would have 100% went 1st OA in 2017.

Reactions: Vaslof

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Good to know you’re a front office guy that can speak to this issue.

Byram isn't getting traded fam, especially not for 28 year old Taylor Hall. It's embarrassing enough that talk is going on in the NJ board, it should be ridiculed here.

Reactions: Boulder Avalanche

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Do NJ have a bluechip forward prospect that could be included with Hall in a Byram trade? If so I'm willing to listen.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
While it's probably true, no one knows.

Byram on draft year > Makar on draft year
Byram on D+1 >= Makar D+1

So yeah, can't say with certainty that he won't be as good.

Last year's Byram would have 100% went 1st OA in 2017.
If you’re comparing them as prospects, especially at draft time, then sure.

But to look back in hindsight and compare Byram to a now Norris-caliber Dman in Makar is an inapt comparison.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Byram isn't getting traded fam, especially not for 28 year old Taylor Hall. It's embarrassing enough that talk is going on in the NJ board, it should be ridiculed here.
I never once said I’d trade Byram for Hall, nor would I trade him for any guy on an expiring deal.

Reactions: Ararana

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hynes seems like a coach that still thinks he's coaching in the AHL. I loved him when he coached in WBS and thought NJ was getting a gem, but some coaches aren't suited for the NHL. His players supposedly would lay down in traffic for him but that doesn't necessarily mean he can get the most out of them, especially stars like Hall. He's kind of like Bylsma in that he prefers to coach AHL grinders and make superstars out of them instead of coaching up to already good players.

Their situation seems equal parts coaching and goaltending to me. Kind of hard to hide coaching issues without Matt Murray breaking AHL records for you.

Personally I think the Devils more or less did what the Avs did in 2013-14. New(ish) coach and team roar to life in what was expected to be a rebuilding year, snag a surprise playoff spot, and the team throws away the long-term plan when there were strong indications that year was an anomaly. They've got holes everywhere, but the goaltending situation is an utter disaster.

Going forward, they've got a legit top-two center tandem that should be among the best in the league, and it's likely they end up with yet another franchise cornerstone thanks to the lottery (you KNOW they're gonna get 1st overall even without Hall's mojo). But they got some work to do on the back end.

Lost in all the Hall/Subban/Schneider talk is the fact that Damon Severson's game has completely fallen off a cliff.

Also, this is not me being smug because I wasn't crazy about the Burakovsky or Nichushkin acquisitions at the time either, but it sure doesn't look like Gusev is having the impact people hoped/expected he would.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I was listening to the radio on my way into work this morning and Bobby MacK was talking about the Avs interest in Hall. They seem to be linked to him more than any other team.

I think they are just connecting dots at this point, but all the pundits seem to think the Avs are going to add.

Reactions: Avs_19

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
According to NJ fans he basically didn't improve since draft day and he's the reason why they want Byram in the 1st place.
That sucks if true. I haven’t really watched much junior hockey in the last year. I loved him in his draft year though.

Either way he’s their best prospect so if he sucks that speaks volumes about how f***ed that organization is. Especially after trading picks for Subban/Gusev and having to be stuck with Subban’s cap hit and shit play.

They better strike gold on Hall lol. Or perhaps they’ll win a draft lottery. They’re due. Lol

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That sucks if true. I haven’t really watched much junior hockey in the last year. I loved him in his draft year though.

Either way he’s their best prospect so if he sucks that speaks volumes about how ****ed that organization is. Especially after trading picks for Subban/Gusev and having to be stuck with Subban’s cap hit and **** play.

They better strike gold on Hall lol. Or perhaps they’ll win a draft lottery. They’re due. Lol

If NJ wins the damn lottery again the mob's behind it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Depends on the team, but likely not an elite prospect... could easily be better than any non-Byram Avs prospect though

I disagree and I think your own opinion of Newhook is showing here. Newhook is a blue chipper himself, nobody is going to move a prospect in the tier above what Newhook is in.

You move one tier above Newhook and you start talking about the likes of Turcotte/Caufield/Boqvist/Zadina tier of prospects and that level of prospect just doesn't get traded.

Like I know you've mentioned in the past Thomas Harley could be moved by Dallas... He's no better a prospect than Newhook. Both guys are in that same tier of having great upside but some warts that need to be ironed out.

It basically comes down to how New Jersey would view Newhook themselves. But if they were high on him pre-draft last year(And some scouts did peg him as a Top 10 guy), he certainly hasn't done anything to hurt his stock since being drafted so those same teams are going to still be very high on him.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If Devils fans think they can get Byram for a pending UFA Hall, they’re dreaming. No chance the Avs do that.

Honestly, even Newhook and a 1st feels kinda steep to me.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Personally I think the Devils more or less did what the Avs did in 2013-14. New(ish) coach and team roar to life in what was expected to be a rebuilding year, snag a surprise playoff spot, and the team throws away the long-term plan when there were strong indications that year was an anomaly. They've got holes everywhere, but the goaltending situation is an utter disaster.

Going forward, they've got a legit top-two center tandem that should be among the best in the league, and it's likely they end up with yet another franchise cornerstone thanks to the lottery (you KNOW they're gonna get 1st overall even without Hall's mojo). But they got some work to do on the back end.

Lost in all the Hall/Subban/Schneider talk is the fact that Damon Severson's game has completely fallen off a cliff.

Also, this is not me being smug because I wasn't crazy about the Burakovsky or Nichushkin acquisitions at the time either, but it sure doesn't look like Gusev is having the impact people hoped/expected he would.

Yep, this all seems bang-on to me.

Honestly, Shero doesn't get enough flack here. I think he had to learn a lesson through all this: not every top pick is Crosby or Malkin. His drafting leaves a lot to be desired, just like his absolutely terrible drafting record in Pittsburgh.

Shero reminds me a ton of his mentor Poile. Both get lauded for their fantastic trades (Poile: Forsberg, Subban; Shero: Neal, Hall, Subban 2.0) which are really little more than taking advantage of dumbass GMs. Shero can't draft, is desperate to "win" every trade and thinks winning the lottery means you can ball out in trades every season or so and build a team that way. When he actually has to do solid, fundamental team-building, he's atrocious (mostly because you have to draft outside of the top 5 and develop serviceable NHLers to do that, and that's apparently not worth his time). His Plan B is always to pick off someone he drafted in Pittsburgh on waivers, or sign them in free agency.

He's virtually untouched by criticism because tradez! But he's pulling the same shit he did in Pittsburgh, even with the coaching situation. He basically fell on his sword for Bylsma and he'll probably stick with Hynes until the bitter end.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Am I crazy to think if the Avs go after Hall that Burakovsky could be part of what goes the other way?

First of all, Hall will take his place in the top 6. Seems as though the reason they acquired him was to play in the top 6.

Second, Joe Sakic isn’t in the rental business. As much as some of us don’t want to pay Hall for the next 6-8 years, there’s no way Sakic spends assets on a guy like that if he’s not part of the long term plan. With Hall’s extension they can’t really afford to give Burkie a raise too.

Maybe Jersey wants nothing to do with him. But I feel if we acquire Hall it’s going to point to a quick tenure in Denver for Burakovsky.

Reactions: Gatorbait19

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Am I crazy to think if the Avs go after Hall that Burakovsky could be part of what goes the other way?

First of all, Hall will take his place in the top 6. Seems as though the reason they acquired him was to play in the top 6.

Second, Joe Sakic isn’t in the rental business. As much as some of us don’t want to pay Hall for the next 6-8 years, there’s no way Sakic spends assets on a guy like that if he’s not part of the long term plan. With Hall’s extension they can’t really afford to give Burkie a raise too.

Maybe Jersey wants nothing to do with him. But I feel if we acquire Hall it’s going to point to a quick tenure in Denver for Burakovsky.

You're completely and totally crazy, man.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I don’t see it. Burakovsky is out producing Hall and is four years younger.

They’d have to add on top of Burakovsky too. That would be tough.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

That’s some wishful thinking.

Bura and Donk doing so well is why I’m not as high on acquiring a big time forward anymore. I’m totally fine with a 3C and a second pairing defenseman.

Elite: MacK/Rants
Line-drivers: Landy/Naz
Secondary scorers: Bura/Donk

The top 6 has the right pieces, it’s the college kid duo of Jost/JTC that have mostly sucked ass on the third line. Let’s be honest with ourselves.

The aforementioned top 6 is as good as almost anybody’s, and then the likes of Calv/LBN/Belle/Nuke/Willy are solid depth. It’s Jost and Compher as the 7th and 8th best forwards on the team who aren’t holding their own.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If Devils fans think they can get Byram for a pending UFA Hall, they’re dreaming. No chance the Avs do that.

Honestly, even Newhook and a 1st feels kinda steep to me.

It's understandable for them to want Byram, but he's not on the table.

Girard doesn't seem like he'll be a big point producer in the NHL and it's not clear what kind of production Timmins will have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad