Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Remember when people were saying Ristolainen > Nurse :help::help:

I'm going to assume CycloneSweep was one of them

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His straight-line speed is more than fine. I'd consider it above average. It's his agility and especially his first step that need work.

More than fine relative to his peers or more than fine at the NHL level? When I gauge a players skating I usually compare it to NHL players.

Broberg looks good on the third pair. Benning-lite?

Are you just trying to pick fights at this point? Take a step back from your computer for a minute, you may not have liked the pick, but this is just ridiculous.

Reactions: KYams17

North

Jun 25, 2009
It's a mens league and a damn good one at that, this is not the CHL where you are playing again 16 and 17 year olds.

Yup. I had wanted him to go to Hamilton to get heavy minutes but I think the experience he gets this year is going to be invaluable.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Yup. I had wanted him to go to Hamilton to get heavy minutes but I think the experience he gets this year is going to be invaluable.

Completely different sport, but my son has gained far more experience and growth in his game by playing against adults vs. playing against his peers. Naturally there will always be the McDavid's of the world that will succeed anywhere, but playing with and against bigger, stronger and smarter players with more experience is the route to go as long as it doesn't crush your confidence or get you injured.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
More than fine relative to his peers or more than fine at the NHL level? When I gauge a players skating I usually compare it to NHL players.

Are you just trying to pick fights at this point? Take a step back from your computer for a minute, you may not have liked the pick, but this is just ridiculous.
Tons of hyperbole from me for sure.

My problem was that Broberg was a massive reach. He was the 3rd defender drafted and he wasn't even close to the 3rd best defender in the draft. Heinola, Soderstrom, Harley, York and Bjornfot are ahead of him. We were also pretty weak at forward and passed on guys like Zegras, Caufield and Newhook.

Could Broberg be good? Absolutely. That said I will be highly critical pick from the organizational standpoint because for him to be worth an 8th overall pick usage...he has an extremely long way to go.

Reactions: Aerchon

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Tons of hyperbole from me for sure.

My problem was that Broberg was a massive reach. He was the 3rd defender drafted and he wasn't even close to the 3rd best defender in the draft. Heinola, Soderstrom, Harley, York and Bjornfot are ahead of him. We were also pretty weak at forward and passed on guys like Zegras, Caufield and Newhook.

Could Broberg be good? Absolutely. That said I will be highly critical pick from the organizational standpoint because for him to be worth an 8th overall pick usage...he has an extremely long way to go.
While you're at it, just keep listing every D in the draft.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The problem is by using hyperbole you have diluted your argument. Nobody’s going to take you seriously now.

Also your issue with Broberg is starting to resemble Raab’s issue with Nurse.
Except as Nurse improved his opinion stayed the same. If Broberg starts to resemble a pick worthy of a top 10 selection than I will change my mind.

I think the world Juniors will be major for him and I hope for him to show up. Imo I think he may be on the third pairing for them as well which if so, would be pretty dissapointing with how much some of you like him.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The problem is by using hyperbole you have diluted your argument. Nobody’s going to take you seriously now.

Also your issue with Broberg is starting to resemble Raab’s issue with Nurse.

This board is full of hyperbole.

His stance is the same that 95% of this board had when no one thought the Oilers would be stupid enough to actually draft Broberg at 8. That was also assuming Zegras would already be gone.

The over the top defense of this pick is just strange.

I think it "could" be a great pick but only pure revisionist history will make it anything but a reach at the time.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

North

Jun 25, 2009
Except as Nurse improved his opinion stayed the same. If Broberg starts to resemble a pick worthy of a top 10 selection than I will change my mind.

I think the world Juniors will be major for him and I hope for him to show up. Imo I think he may be on the third pairing for them as well which if so, would be pretty dissapointing with how much some of you like him.

All I’m saying is your hyperbole has led to the response you have received.

Why say anything about Broberg possibly being like Benning just because he was playing third pair? Tongue in cheek or not. It’s in line with other comments made and people start pushing back.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

His stance is the same that 95% of this board had when no one thought the Oilers would be stupid enough to actually draft Broberg at 8. That was also assuming Zegras would already be gone.

I think it "could" be a great pick but only pure revisionist history will make it anything but a reach at the time.
Teams reach all the time but reaching for a low offense left shot defender who most scouts didn't really have on the radar as a top 10 pick is interesting.

I hope for him to succeed, still think it was a bad pick.

Reactions: Aerchon

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

The bolded isn't true though. There were a few rankings that had him in the top 10, and some that had him in the teens. I get that some people really wanted one of the USA forwards, but its mind blowing how suddenly everyone is acting like those forwards are sure bets to be impact NHLers. A forward picked at 8 is just as often a mediocre bust as they are a true top 6 NHLer.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The bolded isn't true though. There were a few rankings that had him in the top 10, and some that had him in the teens. I get that some people really wanted one of the USA forwards, but its mind blowing how suddenly everyone is acting like those forwards are sure bets to be impact NHLers. A forward picked at 8 is just as often a mediocre bust as they are a true top 6 NHLer.
Their ceilings are much higher though. Honestly I struggle to see how Broberg would even be close to Klefbom, I think Broberg if he makes the NHL peaks as a 3rd pairing guy.

Great tools, terrible decision making with or without the puck.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Their ceilings are much higher though. Honestly I struggle to see how Broberg would even be close to Klefbom, I think Broberg if he makes the NHL peaks as a 3rd pairing guy.

Great tools, terrible decision making with or without the puck.

We're never going to agree on the bolded as I've stated in the other Broberg thread so really it is what it is.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That was his knock by scouts pre draft though. Questionable decision making.
By some scouts, not all. He showed no signs of a lack of hockey IQ in his international tournaments, but he did show a youthful aspect to his game of trying to do too much. Scouts are often so far off when predicting young players hockey IQ that I really don't listen to their analysis on that aspect of a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad