Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
What is there to make up for? The kid was just drafted.
Not that I was a fan of the pick at the time but maybe we should give it more than a few weeks before declaring it a pick that needs to be made up for.
Prospects take time to develop but there's nothing wrong with evaluating and making a move before the value starts to drop. Look at St. Louis with Rundblad.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
More than fine relative to his peers or more than fine at the NHL level? When I gauge a players skating I usually compare it to NHL players.
More than fine at the NHL level. Again, his agility needs work and he takes time getting going, but pure speed is above average for an NHLer. I think bigger guys tend to look slower. Draisaitl is an obvious example, and 6'3 Josh Anderson in Columbus is very fast despite looking pretty sluggish.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Their ceilings are much higher though. Honestly I struggle to see how Broberg would even be close to Klefbom, I think Broberg if he makes the NHL peaks as a 3rd pairing guy.

Great tools, terrible decision making with or without the puck.

Did you watch the WJC for Sweden?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
This board is full of hyperbole.

His stance is the same that 95% of this board had when no one thought the Oilers would be stupid enough to actually draft Broberg at 8. That was also assuming Zegras would already be gone.

The over the top defense of this pick is just strange.

I think it "could" be a great pick but only pure revisionist history will make it anything but a reach at the time.

The only thing stupid about it was posters like you and Jadeddog calling him a bust the second he was drafted. Disgraceful mindsets for two alleged adults.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The only thing stupid about it was posters like you and Jadeddog calling him a bust the second he was drafted. Disgraceful mindsets for two alleged adults.
I mean you had people on both sides.

Some saying this is a shit pick and he is a bust. And others going hard defending it and suddenly thinking he is a great player just cause he drafted it.

The truth will probably fall in the middle...if we are lucky.

Reactions: Aerchon

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I mean you had people on both sides.

Some saying this is a **** pick and he is a bust. And others going hard defending it and suddenly thinking he is a great player just cause he drafted it.

The truth will probably fall in the middle...if we are lucky.

Sure, I agree. Strong opinions all around, but the literal definition of a bust is a player who doesn't meet or falls short of expectations in regards to his career post-draft. To declare that on draft day is a level of stupid that few can attain.

Reactions: North

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The bolded isn't true though. There were a few rankings that had him in the top 10, and some that had him in the teens. I get that some people really wanted one of the USA forwards, but its mind blowing how suddenly everyone is acting like those forwards are sure bets to be impact NHLers. A forward picked at 8 is just as often a mediocre bust as they are a true top 6 NHLer.

While it's true a forward picked at 8 certainly isn't a guarantee to be great... Forwards in general are far easier to predict than defense or goaltending.

Zegras was a top 10 pick by the majority of scouting services. Mckenzie at 7. He hung right around the 8 or better spot very consistently on multiple lists.

I think the THN, not a great scouting source, had Broberg at 10. The vast majority tho had him 14 or worse.

Again, I don't think this is a massive glaring reach like say Janky by the Flames was but it absolutely is a reach that looks even worse because of team needs.

I remember finding a great site/article that listed final and mid-season rankings from most the major scouting services but unfortunately couldn't find it with a quick search.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This board is full of hyperbole.

His stance is the same that 95% of this board had when no one thought the Oilers would be stupid enough to actually draft Broberg at 8. That was also assuming Zegras would already be gone.

The over the top defense of this pick is just strange.

I think it "could" be a great pick but only pure revisionist history will make it anything but a reach at the time.

The difference is that the people who were against the pick at the time (myself included) are open minded to letting it play out while you and Cyclone continue to pound the point home that he was a "massive" reach and seem to have it in for him because the Oilers didn't go with the consensus.

How about we give it more than a few weeks before judging him? All we have to go by is an 8 game sample size of which very few of us have seen live.
He's an Oiler now so lets cheer for him instead of longing for Zegras, Boldy or whoever and looking for reasons to not like him.
FWIW, I'm still not a fan of the pick but am willing to let it play out.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The difference is that the people who were against the pick at the time (myself included) are open minded to letting it play out while you and Cyclone continue to pound the point home that he was a "massive" reach and seem to have it in for him because the Oilers didn't go with the consensus.

How about we give it more than a few weeks before judging him? All we have to go by is an 8 game sample size of which very few of us have seen live.
He's an Oiler now so lets cheer for him instead of longing for Zegras, Boldy or whoever and looking for reasons to not like him.
To me it's not the point that he was a reach that bugs me.

It's the fact that we drafted a defender whose only notable aspect is his speed top 10 in a draft weak on defenders. We drafted a very raw player who only has one standard aspect of his game. Sure due to his size him making the NHL as a bottom pairing guy is pretty sure but his ceiling is quite low, which at that stage of the draft isn't what you really want.

I want him to succeed for sure, I just found it strange how much of the board didn't want him, then we drafted him and he was the best thing since sliced bread and people calling him a guarenteed top 4 defender.

He is average at pretty much everything but skates fast, I'll cheer for the kid to do well, doesn't mean I'm happy with the org for the pick and will have to see much much more from him for that to change.

And like I said before, the World Juniors will be very important for him. Anything other than a good performance and playing top 4 minutes will be bad.

Imo I can see guys like Bjornfot and Soderstrom play above him. I'll be happy and impressed if he plays higher.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

To me it's not the point that he was a reach that bugs me.

It's the fact that we drafted a defender whose only notable aspect is his speed top 10 in a draft weak on defenders. We drafted a very raw player who only has one standard aspect of his game. Sure due to his size him making the NHL as a bottom pairing guy is pretty sure but his ceiling is quite low, which at that stage of the draft isn't what you really want.

I want him to succeed for sure, I just found it strange how much of the board didn't want him, then we drafted him and he was the best thing since sliced bread and people calling him a guarenteed top 4 defender.

He is average at pretty much everything but skates fast, I'll cheer for the kid to do well, doesn't mean I'm happy with the org for the pick and will have to see much much more from him for that to change.

And like I said before, the World Juniors will be very important for him. Anything other than a good performance and playing top 4 minutes will be bad.

Imo I can see guys like Bjornfot and Soderstrom play above him. I'll be happy and impressed if he plays higher.

I think everyone wants him to succeed.

Like CycloneSweep it's the organizational need aspect that really bugs me.

For me. I look at now and the future. I see a team desperate for talent at forward. Especially at center after Nuge most likely walks.

If Holland can draft develope and trade all these numerous LD we have in our system for equal value forwards or goalies, great. But even before Holland this organization has drafted far too many defenseman of the left shooting variety. To the point of getting them properly development, ice time, and most importantly evaluation is not possible.

How many more Erik Gustasfsson are we going draft and completely miss out on.

How many are we going to somewhat draft and develope and move on from like Davidson, Chorney, Marincin. Osterle.

How many young LD are we going to sell the farm to get despite it being an organizational strength, like Chiarelli did with Reinhart.

I'm not even a fan of him that much but is Jones the next Erik Gustasfsson?

Is Samourukov or Lagesson going be back burnered to Broberg next year and end up having their career stunted and played elsewhere?

Is Day a player that just will never see the light through the massive jam of left shooting defenseman?

Why even use third rounders on Neimelienen or Cairns.

I get that having competition is good but this ridiculous. The list of left shooting defensemen we have drafted or acquired seems massive and unmanageable.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Is this the thread for Bakersfield Condors talk?

Thought we used to have a separate thread for that.

Yamamoto off to a good start. Samorukov to a slow one.

Not much chatter about the ahl farm with the big club actually winning. Hope to see some comments from people who actually watch those games.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Hamilton sucks this year. They're rebuilding.

I have no issues with letting him develop overseas--even if it takes a couple years. The same thing should've been done with Puljujarvi.

Agreed and double agree with Puju. If they had of kept him in an environment that he would be happy, things would have worked out. I guarantee Broberg will be a dandy. He just turned 18

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Uhhh. Benson is in his second AHL season after spending 3 in the minors. I never said 6-7 seasons in the minors. I said they would take 6 years to really be rewarded by the pick. 2 full SHL seasons, and then 2 full AHL seasons is very very likely for Broberg and then he might be ready for the NHL then.

Gotta get it out of your head that we need to get guys into the NHL right away. Some guys take time. Especially guys who have only been playing defense for a few years and didn't actually even play in the SHL last season where lots of top ranked Swedish guys have when they were drafted

Defenceman take more time to mature as well. 3-4 years in minors is very common. I would like a St Louis type defence in 2-3 years

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think everyone wants him to succeed.

Like CycloneSweep it's the organizational need aspect that really bugs me.

For me. I look at now and the future. I see a team desperate for talent at forward. Especially at center after Nuge most likely walks.

If Holland can draft develope and trade all these numerous LD we have in our system for equal value forwards or goalies, great. But even before Holland this organization has drafted far too many defenseman of the left shooting variety. To the point of getting them properly development, ice time, and most importantly evaluation is not possible.

How many more Erik Gustasfsson are we going draft and completely miss out on.

How many are we going to somewhat draft and develope and move on from like Davidson, Chorney, Marincin. Osterle.

How many young LD are we going to sell the farm to get despite it being an organizational strength, like Chiarelli did with Reinhart.

I'm not even a fan of him that much but is Jones the next Erik Gustasfsson?

Is Samourukov or Lagesson going be back burnered to Broberg next year and end up having their career stunted and played elsewhere?

Is Day a player that just will never see the light through the massive jam of left shooting defenseman?

Why even use third rounders on Neimelienen or Cairns.

I get that having competition is good but this ridiculous. The list of left shooting defensemen we have drafted or acquired seems massive and unmanageable.

Broberg plays the right side very well.
The rest of your post is purely conjecture and negativity.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Is this the thread for Bakersfield Condors talk?

Thought we used to have a separate thread for that.

Yamamoto off to a good start. Samorukov to a slow one.

Not much chatter about the ahl farm with the big club actually winning. Hope to see some comments from people who actually watch those games.
Yam is too good for the AHL. He’s a level above Benson etc

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Yamamoto needs to play a lot more than a couple good games to prove that

Yeah... also he and JP have been yo-yo'd between BAK and EDM. I'm not saying he needs to spend the entire season down there, but lets see him for 20 games (about 1/3 of the season) and evaluate our next move.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yeah... also he and JP have been yo-yo'd between BAK and EDM. I'm not saying he needs to spend the entire season down there, but lets see him for 20 games (about 1/3 of the season) and evaluate our next move.

Yamamoto needs a full season in the AHL. As a smaller and getting older guy he needs to dominate the AHL and work on everything before attempting to translate to the nhl.

Arcobella had incredible ahl numbers but just couldn't translate it to the nhl because of size and speed.

The ahl, especially in the Pacific division, especially with the current coaching staff, is exactly what he needs.

Lots of time in the gym. Lots of time to practice his shot. When playing, he needs lots of ice time and PP opportunities.

He just needs to be so much better than what he showed in his nhl stint.

Right now his upside is Arcobella or Conachar. He is no where near the elite petite of the nhl.

I wouldn't move Neal (4 more years) or Kassian (hopefully 4 more years) out of the top 6 for Yama with what he has shown to date and he really is too small and too slow for the bottom 6 so far.

Right now I think he was a mistake to draft. If he does succeed he will be the smallest player ever in the nhl. He doesn't have Johnny speed or skill and doesn't have that tank type build that most other small successful nhl players have. He is 20lbs! Lighter than most successful small nhlers!

It's a big hill he needs to climb. No nhl shot. OK playmaking. Average speed and maneuverability. No nhl size. And he is already 21.

Just as an arbitrary measure I expect he needs to put on at least 10lbs of pure muscle while significantly increasing his speed and agility.

Reactions: Anarchism

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Yamamoto needs a full season in the AHL. As a smaller and getting older guy he needs to dominate the AHL and work on everything before attempting to translate to the nhl.

Arcobella had incredible ahl numbers but just couldn't translate it to the nhl because of size and speed.

The ahl, especially in the Pacific division, especially with the current coaching staff, is exactly what he needs.

Lots of time in the gym. Lots of time to practice his shot. When playing, he needs lots of ice time and PP opportunities.

He just needs to be so much better than what he showed in his nhl stint.

Right now his upside is Arcobella or Conachar. He is no where near the elite petite of the nhl.

I wouldn't move Neal (4 more years) or Kassian (hopefully 4 more years) out of the top 6 for Yama with what he has shown to date and he really is too small and too slow for the bottom 6 so far.

Right now I think he was a mistake to draft. If he does succeed he will be the smallest player ever in the nhl. He doesn't have Johnny speed or skill and doesn't have that tank type build that most other small successful nhl players have. He is 20lbs! Lighter than most successful small nhlers!

It's a big hill he needs to climb. No nhl shot. OK playmaking. Average speed and maneuverability. No nhl size. And he is already 21.

Just as an arbitrary measure I expect he needs to put on at least 10lbs of pure muscle while significantly increasing his speed and agility.
I agree with most of this post about Yamo. He needs the year in the ahl to work on agility and leg strength to have the maneuverability to avoid the big hits as much as possible and to be able to absorb them when he cant. Working on his shot and skating is a must. Another year or year and a half to get all his man strength on him will give him the best shot at making it. Maybe 6 to 10 games playing sheltered minutes on the fourth line so he can get up as much as possible to NHL speed and then into the top 6 --sink or swim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad