Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
2-3 years in the AHL that’s nuts which top player has ever done that ever. This year and next in Sweden then one year AHL and if he’s not ready by then then he probably never will be.
Klefbom did 2 years in Sweden, one in the AHL and then was brought into the NHL not ready cause our team sucked.

The thing is Broberg isn't a top player. He is a big fast skating defender who is very raw and hasn't been a defender very long. I think his likelyhood or making the NHL is almost guaranteed but he will take a while, especially with Holland here

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Klefbom did 2 years in Sweden, one in the AHL and then was brought into the NHL not ready cause our team sucked.

The thing is Broberg isn't a top player. He is a big fast skating defender who is very raw and hasn't been a defender very long. I think his likelyhood or making the NHL is almost guaranteed but he will take a while, especially with Holland here
Klefbom was absolutely ready when he came up.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There isn’t any prospect that is so raw that they need 6-7 years in the minors
Uhhh. Benson is in his second AHL season after spending 3 in the minors. I never said 6-7 seasons in the minors. I said they would take 6 years to really be rewarded by the pick. 2 full SHL seasons, and then 2 full AHL seasons is very very likely for Broberg and then he might be ready for the NHL then.

Gotta get it out of your head that we need to get guys into the NHL right away. Some guys take time. Especially guys who have only been playing defense for a few years and didn't actually even play in the SHL last season where lots of top ranked Swedish guys have when they were drafted

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
2-3 years in the AHL that’s nuts which top player has ever done that ever. This year and next in Sweden then one year AHL and if he’s not ready by then then he probably never will be.

Pietrangelo- Drafted 08-10/11- Draft+3
Bouwmeester-Drafted 02-05/06-Draft+4
Paryako- Drafted 12-15/16- Draft+5

I won't be worried until he loses his waiver eligibility and still isn't on the team. A player with his mix of size, speed and offensive abilities should be worth the wait.

Reactions: ImmuneEH

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Klefbom was absolutely ready when he came up.
He was rushed, and we were lucky he adapted fast. Still it took him 3 seasons to make the team and we were desperate for defenders.

He had also had 20+ games at the Swedens highest level already, Broberg just started. Klef had 3 seasons at the top of Sweden, Broberg is still starting his.

Glad had 4 pro seasons before making the team, Broberg just started his first

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Uhhh. Benson is in his second AHL season after spending 3 in the minors. I never said 6-7 seasons in the minors. I said they would take 6 years to really be rewarded by the pick. 2 full SHL seasons, and then 2 full AHL seasons is very very likely for Broberg and then he might be ready for the NHL then.

Gotta get it out of your head that we need to get guys into the NHL right away. Some guys take time. Especially guys who have only been playing defense for a few years and didn't actually even play in the SHL last season where lots of top ranked Swedish guys have when they were drafted
Benson spent 2 years in Junior, it’s a totally different situation then Broberg, there are hardly any cases of top players needing 4+ years of playing pro to be ready to play in the NHL.

I don’t think he needs to be in the NHL right away I just think that by his draft +3 he will be pushing to play NHL games.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bears draft was 4 years ago and were just now getting a return on that pick

Bear was drafted in the 5th round, Broberg was drafted top 10. Big distinction there.

I'm not saying that he's a bust if he's not an NHL regular in 4 years but if he isn't, I'd say that's disappointing to say the least. Top 10 draft picks have a different set of expectations especially nowadays when young players are making the show more than ever.

With Broberg, I think it's reasonable to expect another year in Sweden, a full year in the AHL then be ready to make an NHL impact in Year 4. The Klefbom development curve although Klefbom was in the NHL in Year 3.

Reactions: ImmuneEH

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Benson spent 2 years in Junior, it’s a totally different situation then Broberg, there are hardly any cases of top players needing 4+ years of playing pro to be ready to play in the NHL.

I don’t think he needs to be in the NHL right away I just think that by his draft +3 he will be pushing to play NHL games.
Also have to remember Broberg is very young in his draft year.
Klefbom played 4 pro seasons.

Broberg isn't a top player though. He is high risk high reward and will probably take a slower path like most 2nd rounders take. And there is nothing wrong with that

Macblender

May 5, 2014

Broberg isn't a top player though. He is high risk high reward and will probably take a slower path like most 2nd rounders take. And there is nothing wrong with that
Klefbom also had a year where he was injured which makes it closer to 3 pro seasons.

I would argue that without that injury maybe he would have been ready on time or faster. Either way I think you are overselling how many seasons he needed to be ready.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Broberg will be fine. He won't be a player who is ready quick and is obviously a project before he is NHL ready but he will be good. Was he the right pick? We won't know for a few years

This. He has a very high ceiling, and I think to really increase the likelihood of him reaching that ceiling, you have to take the time to develop him. Fortunately for us, we have so many LD prospects in the system that there is no need at all to rush him.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Pietrangelo- Drafted 08-10/11- Draft+3
Bouwmeester-Drafted 02-05/06-Draft+4
Paryako- Drafted 12-15/16- Draft+5

I won't be worried until he loses his waiver eligibility and still isn't on the team. A player with his mix of size, speed and offensive abilities should be worth the wait.

Agree with everything here. Samorukov's final year of waiver exemption is in 2021/22. I'd rather show preference to Samorukov to really evaluate what we've got in him. The following year is when I'd give Broberg a very long look (2022/23, his draft +4). I'd much rather take the time to develop him and be patient to make sure the wait was worth it.

Here's a somewhat similar situation. At the beginning of this season, could we have given Bouchard the job at 3RD and sent Bear down? Sure. There's then a chance of missing out on truly seeing what we had in Bear before next season when he becomes waiver eligible.

Again, with Nurse, Klefbomb, one of Jones/Lagesson at 3LD and Samorukov marinating in the AHL, no need to rush anything. Give Broberg all the time he needs, and then some.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I think there is nothing "wrong" but when you say it's probable he develops like a second rounder it really puts things into perspective what a reach he is at 10 OA.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I wonder what's going on with Denezkhin.

Looked like he started out alright, but now he's 16th in scoring on his MHL team with 3 points in 13 games.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Kesselring made his NCAA debut yesterday on the 2nd D pairing for Northeastern with 5 shots on goal. Didn't pick up any points but that sounds pretty damn promising for a freshman.

Edit: had 1 shot tonight with no points. Northeastern won both games 2-1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I was going to say welcome to another season of 'Will our NCAA prospects ever get a point?", but our savior Skyler Brind'Amour came in clutch.

He had the game-winning goal at 19:22 of the 3rd to win it for Quinnipiac over American International.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I was going to say welcome to another season of 'Will our NCAA prospects ever get a point?", but our savior Skyler Brind'Amour came in clutch.

He had the game-winning goal at 19:22 of the 3rd to win it for Quinnipiac over American International.

Skyler finally made it out of the BCHL!

Reactions: McFlyingV

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Lavoie must be excited for turkey dinner. 2G 2A 4P 9SOG (7 considered dangerous) and +3 today in a 6-2 Halifax win.
He's up to 7-10-17 in 10GP this season. Consistency is why he fell to the 2nd round, but when he's on he's a dominant player in the CHL.

When he fell to the 2nd round I was ecstatic.

What would be considered a good draft +1 season for him? If he can improve to 40 goals and 80+ points I'm good with that.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I think there is nothing "wrong" but when you say it's probable he develops like a second rounder it really puts things into perspective what a reach he is at 10 OA.
Or it is just another negative view point from the master of negative view points. Acting like Broberg is the equivalent of a 2nd rounder is about as laughable as his routine of posting his dumb stats of how the Oilers are getting destroyed in the first 10 minutes of a period and than his disappearing act as soon as the Oilers take over a game and start leading.

Reactions: TB12
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad