Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
His numbers haven't been great this year, especially compared to last season.

Anyone know if he is really struggling, or is his team bad this season?
He had an awful couple games to start the season letting in a lot of goals and it's skewing his stats. Give it some time to normalize and we'll get a clearer picture. He's up to .907 after tonight's shutout and at one point he was at like .850.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
He had an awful couple games to start the season letting in a lot of goals and it's skewing his stats. Give it some time to normalize and we'll get a clearer picture. He's up to .907 after tonight's shutout and at one point he was at like .850.
Right on, thanks.

That makes sense.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
14:34 average a game, lowest on the team for regular defensemen.
He's getting used to SHL competition and a new team. His ice time goes up and down a lot, not sure but it could have something to do with special teams.

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry. For an 18 year old it can be tough just to stick in the SHL, stats wise it looks decent to me with a couple of assists in 9 GP and around 15 mins of ice time per game.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He's getting used to SHL competition and a new team. His ice time goes up and down a lot, not sure but it could have something to do with special teams.

Anyhow, I wouldn't worry. For an 18 year old it can be tough just to stick in the SHL, stats wise it looks decent to me with a couple of assists in 9 GP and around 15 mins of ice time per game.

Since I'm rightfully getting beat up for my anti Holland rhetoric I think it's only fair to point out that while Broberg is playing in a men's league at just 18... for where we drafted him and who we could have drafted... Broberg currently seems like the reach he was.

Not going to beat this to death because it's very very early but he obviously isn't currently doing so well. At 14 minutes a night he might be better off in North America getting more minutes against lesser competition.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Since I'm rightfully getting beat up for my anti Holland rhetoric I think it's only fair to point out that while Broberg is playing in a men's league at just 18... for where we drafted him and who we could have drafted... Broberg currently seems like the reach he was.

Not going to beat this to death because it's very very early but he obviously isn't currently doing so well. At 14 minutes a night he might be better off in North America getting more minutes against lesser competition.

Why not give a prospect more then 9 games before declaring him a reach? He has already matched klefboms draft+1 production. We have Bear, Lagesson, Bouchard, Jones and Samorukov ahead of him. He is in absolutely zero rush to make the NHL. Let him marinate a couple years in Sweden before we declare him anything.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Why not give a prospect more then 9 games before declaring him a reach? He has already matched klefboms draft+1 production. We have Bear, Lagesson, Bouchard, Jones and Samorukov ahead of him. He is in absolutely zero rush to make the NHL. Let him marinate a couple years in Sweden before we declare him anything.

Meh. My ire is fading for this pick but it WAS a reach at the time. It will be a reach until he proves otherwise.

But I agree he has tons of time and there is no rush.

Still burns me up a bit thinking that if Nuge walks after his contract Zegras potentially could have been there to take his spot. Where as barring something strange we won't "need" Broberg at all in the foreseeable future. I don't see the value in picking another left shooting D with our weakness in forward prospects as it is period.

Reactions: McCanovin

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I get you're sentiment in general, but no he does not.
It is as inconclusive as it gets and without a world of context you cannot say anything about how he is doing.
Hey, he is scoring better than Lidstrom at the same age (and Klingberg and Karlsson), how about that :). On the other hand he is scoring less than Adam Larsson... So there is that. He is scoring better than Brodin or Klefbom at the same age, and OEL was not even in the league at 18. It really means nothing right now and I don't think this is the straw you should be grabbing onto right now.

When the season is at least half-way done and we've seen him playing at the U20s then we can talk, and maybe you'll be right at that point (even though the road is much longer than half a season), but right now ice time and points say very little. He is getting used to a higher level of competition and learning a system. His progress curve over the course of the year will be much more telling than his 9 first games played.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I get you're sentiment in general, but no he does not.
It is as inconclusive as it gets and without a world of context you cannot say anything about how he is doing.
Hey, he is scoring better than Lidstrom at the same age (and Klingberg and Karlsson), how about that :). On the other hand he is scoring less than Adam Larsson... So there is that. He is scoring better than Brodin or Klefbom at the same age, and OEL was not even in the league at 18. It really means nothing right now and I don't think this is the straw you should be grabbing onto right now.

When the season is at least half-way done and we've seen him playing at the U20s then we can talk, and maybe you'll be right at that point (even though the road is much longer than half a season), but right now ice time and points say very little. He is getting used to a higher level of competition and learning a system. His progress curve over the course of the year will be much more telling than his 9 first games played.

Broberg comes off as a very likeable kid. You look at him, you just want him to succeed. With that being said, I think he was a reach considering who was on board. Zegras would have made more sense just because of positional need like Aerchon pointed out and his potential is much higher than Broberg. You can't teach Zegras' vision and hockey sense

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Broberg comes off as a very likeable kid. You look at him, you just want him to succeed. With that being said, I think he was a reach considering who was on board. Zegras would have made more sense just because of positional need like Aerchon pointed out and his potential is much higher than Broberg. You can't teach Zegras' vision and hockey sense
That's very possible, I am not entering that debate(Zegras vs Broberg). Others have argued with much more info than I have about this so I am not weighing in on that. I do want to point out though that his 9 games played so far are not an indication of anything really. He is looking good for an 18 year old in the SHL, so his play right now is definitely not basis for arguing that he is not living up to expectations. That can (and will) be discussed in 4 months or better at the end of the season.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Meh. My ire is fading for this pick but it WAS a reach at the time. It will be a reach until he proves otherwise.

Still burns me up a bit thinking that if Nuge walks after his contract Zegras potentially could have been there to take his spot. Where as barring something strange we won't "need" Broberg at all in the foreseeable future. I don't see the value in picking another left shooting D with our weakness in forward prospects as it is period.

I was hoping for a forward as well, either Boldy or Caulfield. After doing a little research on Broberg and getting Lavoie in the 2nd it's tough to complain.

Reactions: North

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

yeah well that’s just like your opinion man.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Broberg will be fine. He won't be a player who is ready quick and is obviously a project before he is NHL ready but he will be good. Was he the right pick? We won't know for a few years

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I'll add to what I said before, without considering other prospects I like this pick at 8 OA. Of course you never know, Pulju, Yakupov, etc etc.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'll add to what I said before, without considering other prospects I like this pick at 8 OA. Of course you never know, Pulju, Yakupov, etc etc.
We just have to wait and see. This pick has a large chance of ending up as a massive reach or a clever one. It'll be like 6-7 years before we know for sure. I think he probably plays this year and next year in Sweden and then 2-3 in the AHL before breaking in

dem

Mar 17, 2002
We just have to wait and see. This pick has a large chance of ending up as a massive reach or a clever one. It'll be like 6-7 years before we know for sure. I think he probably plays this year and next year in Sweden and then 2-3 in the AHL before breaking in

Klefbom made his debut in draft +3

I wouldn't underestimate this kid. At the same age he is definitely better.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I wouldn’t be surprised if he was in the AHL next year.

lagesson and Jones are gonna be no longer waiver exempt

Reactions: LaGu

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
2-3 years in the AHL that’s nuts which top player has ever done that ever. This year and next in Sweden then one year AHL and if he’s not ready by then then he probably never will be.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
2-3 years in the AHL that’s nuts which top player has ever done that ever. This year and next in Sweden then one year AHL and if he’s not ready by then then he probably never will be.
If a 21 yr old defenseman isn't ready for the NHL, he probably never will be......?

Come on dude..

Broberg is extremely raw, he could need more time.

Reactions: MikeFLB

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
There isn’t any prospect that is so raw that they need 6-7 years in the minors
I never said that.

But to suggest that if he isn't ready by the time he's 21, he probably never will be? That's pretty ridiculous, and quite foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad