Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
When he fell to the 2nd round I was ecstatic.

What would be considered a good draft +1 season for him? If he can improve to 40 goals and 80+ points I'm good with that.
Hard to say if he goes to the WJC. If he played 60+ games I think ~100P in the Q would mean he has is a very legit top 6 prospect.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Lavoie must be excited for turkey dinner. 2G 2A 4P 9SOG (7 considered dangerous) and +3 today in a 6-2 Halifax win.
He's up to 7-10-17 in 10GP this season. Consistency is why he fell to the 2nd round, but when he's on he's a dominant player in the CHL.

He's a guy that really needs to put lots of work into his skating. If he does, he could be a solid top 6 winger for us.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He's a guy that really needs to put lots of work into his skating. If he does, he could be a solid top 6 winger for us.
In my viewings it is no where near that bad. His straight line speed is really solid, but he can definitely work on his edges and agility. I think his perceived skating issues remind me a lot of Draisaitl, in that sometimes he isn't always moving his feet enough and so he's caught flat footed. That, and he needs to continue to fill out his frame and put on more strength in the process. I really don't have any concerns about his skating, if anything the concern is whether you can improve his consistency and compete level.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
We need to fire the guy who does amateur scouting for guys who go to the NCAA and promote the scout looking at NCAA signings.

We are absolutely awful at drafting guys who go through college, but are pretty good at finding NCAA talent to help fill out the AHL squad and play the odd NHL game.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We need to fire the guy who does amateur scouting for guys who go to the NCAA and promote the scout looking at NCAA signings.

We are absolutely awful at drafting guys who go through college, but are pretty good at finding NCAA talent to help fill out the AHL squad and play the odd NHL game.

They seem to draft the wrong type of guys to go through the NCAA.

Almost all the picks are long term prospects with 4th line/3rd pairing longshot upside. They're basically throwaway picks. A guy like Brind'Amour is going to take six seasons before he even hits the AHL. You can easily sign an undrafted free agent better than anyone we have in the NCAA pipeline right now.

Teams that have success with NCAA prospects draft high skill boom/bust types. Guys like Guentzel, Heinen, Marody, etc. were lighting up their junior leagues before heading to college. Meanwhile the Oilers are drafting guys who are barely outscoring third liners in their league like McPhee and Rasanen or defensemen struggling to hit double digit points like Kemp.

Reactions: Zaddy

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Almost all the picks are long term prospects with 4th line/3rd pairing longshot upside. They're basically throwaway picks. A guy like Brind'Amour is going to take six seasons before he even hits the AHL. You can easily sign an undrafted free agent better than anyone we have in the NCAA pipeline right now.

Teams that have success with NCAA prospects draft high skill boom/bust types. Guys like Guentzel, Heinen, Marody, etc. were lighting up their junior leagues before heading to college. Meanwhile the Oilers are drafting guys who are barely outscoring third liners in their league like McPhee and Rasanen or defensemen struggling to hit double digit points like Kemp.
That's how we draft most of the time in every round though

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017

Kemp will be a pro. Marino struggled to hit double digits and he is playing in the NHL right out of college. These are not PP type d-men. They are two way good skating d-men.

Reactions: Tw0Shoes

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010

I do wonder if the scout most responsible for Kemp, Kesselring and Marino is the same as the scout most responsible for Cairns, McPhee and Brind'Amour.

I would be happy to keep our NCAA pro scout where they are.

I'm curious if the person who identified Arcobello, Miller and Oesterle is the same one who identified Gambardella, Marody (yes, he came via trade) and Russell.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
In my viewings it is no where near that bad. His straight line speed is really solid, but he can definitely work on his edges and agility. I think his perceived skating issues remind me a lot of Draisaitl, in that sometimes he isn't always moving his feet enough and so he's caught flat footed. That, and he needs to continue to fill out his frame and put on more strength in the process. I really don't have any concerns about his skating, if anything the concern is whether you can improve his consistency and compete level.

I don't see his skating being anywhere near where it needs to be. I've been told by others that his skating is fine but that was not my impression from rookie camp.

Lavoie might make up for drafting Broberg

Broberg will make up for drafting Broberg.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I don't see his skating being anywhere near where it needs to be. I've been told by others that his skating is fine but that was not my impression from rookie camp.
His straight-line speed is more than fine. I'd consider it above average. It's his agility and especially his first step that need work.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Beating a dead horse, but Broberg at the time he was drafted, where he was drafted, who was left on the board, and based off organizational need was a reach.

Not an absolutely terrible pick but absolutely a reach and most on these boards agreed until he actually got drafted by us.

Hopefully Lavoie, who fits our needs more, does turn out because we need skilled forwards far more than left shooting defense.

However his skating is a concern. Imo, from limited viewing, far worse than Draisaitl.

Draisaitl skating was not a real concern from things I saw and read. His skating issues were fabricated by the pro Bennett group who didn't understand how Draisaitl preferred to slow the pace down than push it.

To adapt to the nhl Draisaitl improved his skating so he could push the play.

Lavoie I think is a good step behind where Drai was when drafted and two at least from where he is now.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
Beating a dead horse, but Broberg at the time he was drafted, where he was drafted, who was left on the board, and based off organizational need was a reach.

Not an absolutely terrible pick but absolutely a reach and most on these boards agreed until he actually got drafted by us.

Hopefully Lavoie, who fits our needs more, does turn out because we need skilled forwards far more than left shooting defense.

However his skating is a concern. Imo, from limited viewing, far worse than Draisaitl.

Draisaitl skating was not a real concern from things I saw and read. His skating issues were fabricated by the pro Bennett group who didn't understand how Draisaitl preferred to slow the pace down than push it.

Lavoie I think is a good step behind where Drai was when drafted and two at least from where he is now.

a reach based on the draft rankings that were published is i suppose what your point is? maybe he was a steal based on edmonton's rankings?

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Broberg vs Puljujarvi on right now in the Champions Hockey League:

Broberg looks smooth and steady out there. Pulju has a primary assist.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

Who was drafted after him that you'd actually want?

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Who was drafted after him that you'd actually want?

Forwards: Definitely Zegras and Boldy.
Defensemen: York.

Now that we've drafted Broberg, I fully support the kid and wish him success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->