Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
People's idea of development in junior, college versus pro is quite off base. I remember the same things being said about Klefbom and how how much better Brodin was. Broberg plays on a very good team and was given development minutes. I have no concern with him taking a while longer to develop. The development of someone like Caufield is always going to be quicker but that has no indication of where they top out at. There is no chance I would draft Soderstrom ahead of Broberg.
Why wouldn't you draft Soderstrom ahead of Broberg? He is a lesser skater yes but he is better defensively and substantially better offensively. What do you see different?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Why wouldn't you draft Soderstrom ahead of Broberg? He is a lesser skater yes but he is better defensively and substantially better offensively. What do you see different?
I’d love to know what makes you think Soderstrom is better defensively. Based on what I saw over in the Czech Republic that isn’t the case at all.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
People's idea of development in junior, college versus pro is quite off base. I remember the same things being said about Klefbom and how how much better Brodin was. Broberg plays on a very good team and was given development minutes. I have no concern with him taking a while longer to develop. The development of someone like Caufield is always going to be quicker but that has no indication of where they top out at. There is no chance I would draft Soderstrom ahead of Broberg.

Given that we have a LD depth of Klef, Nurse, Jones, Lagesson, and Samorukov, idk why anyone should be concerned with how long he takes.

Reactions: oilynutz

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Smaller players always develop sooner. Bigger rangy defencemen take a while to grow into their bodies. Look how long it took Pronger. He was castaway for an aged Shannahan. As for offense you do realize that Soderstrom is getting significantly higher minutes and opportunities compared to Broberg because of the teams they play on right? Broberg is playing on a very good team with strong vetran defencemen some of which have played in the NHL. The top 6 of Skellaftea is far superior than Brynas who have a number of defencemen that were playing in the second tier league in Sweden just a year or two ago.

There was no one who had Soderstrom rated ahead of Broberg and I would not take him ahead of Broberg now. This coming year Berglund hopefully will be coming over and signing with Edmonton and Broberg will get a bigger role. He was one of the youngest kids in his draft.....He will be fine. When you have other competitor GMs raving about his skating I do not worry about him at 18 years of age.

Reactions: oilynutz

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Smaller players always develop sooner. Bigger rangy defencemen take a while to grow into their bodies. Look how long it took Pronger. He was castaway for an aged Shannahan. As for offense you do realize that Soderstrom is getting significantly higher minutes and opportunities compared to Broberg because of the teams they play on right? Broberg is playing on a very good team with strong vetran defencemen some of which have played in the NHL. The top 6 of Skellaftea is far superior than Brynas who have a number of defencemen that were playing in the second tier league in Sweden just a year or two ago.

There was no one who had Soderstrom rated ahead of Broberg and I would not take him ahead of Broberg now. This coming year Berglund hopefully will be coming over and signing with Edmonton and Broberg will get a bigger role. He was one of the youngest kids in his draft.....He will be fine. When you have other competitor GMs raving about his skating I do not worry about him at 18 years of age.
Good post and thank you for the respectful reply.

First saying no one had Soderstrom higher is straight up not true.
Hockeywriters, The Draft Analyst, Dobber Prospects, Sportsology, Bob MacKenzie, Future Considerations, ISS Hockey, Hockey Prospect all had Soderstrom ahead of Broberg in their lists, some by quite a bit.

Soderstrom yes is getting a bigger role, and has been excelling in it, Broberg was getting a lesser role and not doing well with it till recently but that's fair.

Good point about smaller guys developing faster than big guys. But good skaters develop faster than most prospects too so it balances out there

And on GMs raving about skating. Skating is good and all but the current NHL has shown us skating makes a good or mediocre player great, but if the player doesn't have a high hockey iq, speed doesn't really help much. Not saying that's true with Broberg, but speed is only one piece of the puzzle.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Hockeywriters, The Draft Analyst, Dobber Prospects, Sportsology, Bob MacKenzie, Future Considerations, ISS Hockey, Hockey Prospect all had Soderstrom ahead of Broberg in their lists, some by quite a bit.

Soderstrom yes is getting a bigger role, and has been excelling in it, Broberg was getting a lesser role and not doing well with it till recently but that's fair.

Good point about smaller guys developing faster than big guys. But good skaters develop faster than most prospects too so it balances out there

And on GMs raving about skating. Skating is good and all but the current NHL has shown us skating makes a good or mediocre player great, but if the player doesn't have a high hockey iq, speed doesn't really help much. Not saying that's true with Broberg, but speed is only one piece of the puzzle.
Say's who? Have yet to read any article saying that he wasn't doing good in a limited roll.

You just look at the stats and think you know it all, and we all know you haven't watched any of the games, and neither have I.

Reactions: ImmuneEH

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017

Great quote from Ryan Kennedy of The Hockey News before the 2019 draft:

Philip Broberg, D, AIK (Swe.): Here’s why I think Broberg will be the second defenseman off the board: he’s got the most potential. If you needed a defenseman right now, you’d probably take Victor Soderstrom. But Broberg has the size, the skating and the offensive talent to be a difference-maker in the future if he can hone his game. He’s got time to do it and I believe a team with a fairly high pick will take a chance on his upside.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I’d love to know what makes you think Soderstrom is better defensively. Based on what I saw over in the Czech Republic that isn’t the case at all.

Say's who? Have yet to read any article saying that he wasn't doing good in a limited roll.

You just look at the stats and think you know it all, and we all know you haven't watched any of the games, and neither have I.

I'm only going off what I saw at the WJC.

Soderstrom was used in every role. PP, 5v5, and PK. Was used in the final minutes in important games over Broberg.

In terms of usage and what i saw Soderstrom was at the very least as good as Broberg defensively (I think better) and about ten times as good in every other way imaginable.

Broberg was not even particularly fast or big in relation to the other players in that tourney. Nothing of Broberg's stood out in that tourney. Not passing, skating, physicality, positioning... Notta. Zero. Zilch. Playing against other kids his age.

In fairness his role was extremely limited and while that's a chicken versus egg debate it could just be he was told to skate it to the red line or bank it out of his end and get off the ice. I was shocked how often he used the boards versus an outlet pass or even skating it out of the defensive zone himself.

His agilty/skating in his own zone defending was nothing to write home about either. Starting/stopping. Changing directions. Backwards. I wonder if he is mostly a straight line skater.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Soderstrom was used in every role. PP, 5v5, and PK. Was used in the final minutes in important games over Broberg.

In terms of usage and what i saw Soderstrom was at the very least as good as Broberg defensively (I think better) and about ten times as good in every other way imaginable.

Broberg was not even particularly fast or big in relation to the other players in that tourney. Nothing of Broberg's stood out in that tourney. Not passing, skating, physicality, positioning... Notta. Zero. Zilch. Playing against other kids his age.

In fairness his role was extremely limited and while that's a chicken versus egg debate it could just be he was told to skate it to the red line or bank it out of his end and get off the ice. I was shocked how often he used the boards versus an outlet pass or even skating it out of the defensive zone himself.

His agilty/skating in his own zone defending was nothing to write home about either. Starting/stopping. Changing directions. Backwards. I wonder if he is mostly a straight line skater.
I guess we should write off Bouchard aswell.

He wasn't good at the WJC.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I guess we should write off Bouchard aswell.

He wasn't good at the WJC.
The team was pretty badly coached and NO defender stood out.

And no one is saying they are writing him off based on the WJC, just some people still havent seen what makes him a top 10 pick.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Conversely JP had an amazing WJC and he's flopped in the NHL thus far. I'm not even going to even bother judging a prospect until he's finished his draft+2. Also, Matt Boldy is another fine example. Started off poorly in the NCAA, and seems to have picked it up stat-wise. He's someone that I thought would be a good pick if Zegras was off the board (while accepting he's a raw prospect and you need to give him time).

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Just for the record. I hated the pick. Zegras should have been ours.

But.

I'm not judging him soley on this one poor WJC. It's just one small part of what will most likely be a long development.

Reactions: 780il

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Just for the record. I hated the pick. Zegras should have been ours.

But.

I'm not judging him soley on this one poor WJC. It's just one small part of what will most likely be a long development.
Wasn’t even a poor WJC. He played a ton of EV and Pk minutes on the best defense group in the tournament. We have seen that judging Dmen from Sweden based solely off their point totals in their draft +1 season is very foolish. The same poster constantly bashing Broberg and also admits to never watching him pre draft and only watching a few highlights until the WJC.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015

From all of the hot takes you have taken over the course of the season, I’ll take yours right now with a grain of salt. Do I think Broberg has been the best d prospect in this draft? Obviously not. But some of the things you’ve said since the start of the season have been so bad I don’t trust what you have to say about any of our prospects. Or even our team for that matter.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
The SHL club Linköping strengthens its backside and has made clear with Skellefteås Filip Berglund.

According to a press release from Linköping, the club signs a two-year contract with the 22-year-old drafted by Edmonton.

"I see it as something very exciting. It will be the first club for me outside Skellefteå and it feels really interesting to see something different and how it works in a different environment," says Berglund, who is reuniting with coach Bert Robertsson.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Filip Berglund was born and raised in Bergsbyn, just outside Skellefteå. There, the first ice skates were taken, which would later lead to games with Skellefteå AIK from the age of twelve. Now at the age of 22 (he turns 23 in May), the relocation class leaves Västerbotten for the first time to land in Östergötland's residence, when he has been writing for LHC for some time.

- I see it as something very exciting. It will be the first club for me outside Skellefteå and it feels really fun to see something different and how it works in a different environment. I had a very good snack with "Pajen" (Niklas Persson, GM of LHC) and even though LHC had a tough season this year, the association has something very interesting going on, says Filip.

A quick look at Filip Berglund's career shows that he is a guy who in younger days had a point cut worthy of a forward, despite starting from a position further down the track. During the senior season, development has progressed more towards a two-way slope, with skills that can be utilized over the full length and width of the ice.

- I was an offensive back during my time as a junior and then developed more into a two-way back when I came up in SHL. Now I have a good season in the back where I have had to make a lot of points and play in powerplay, so I hope to continue to contribute offensively in the LHC jersey.

In Linköping, Filip will be reunited with the coach who helped take him up in Skellefteå's SHL team, LHC's current head coach Bert Robertsson.

- It is clear that it has been recorded that Bert is the coach at LHC. I had him for three years in Skellefteå, we know each other well and we have a collaboration that has worked well. I feel that I have developed a lot under him and he is a person who goes all out in everything he does. With the move to Linköping, I hope to be able to develop even more and lift my offensive game even more and contribute points to LHC.

When asked to describe himself as a person, the answer comes very naturally:

- I'm a pretty calm person who likes to joke a lot and have fun. Outside the ice hall, I spend a lot of time with my girlfriend and I have quite recently got Padel's interest. It also becomes a lot of football watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad