Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 13 22.0%

• Total voters

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
He did make a good point though - if the Bills were targeting a WR I doubt that they trade down with two different teams targeting a WR, and then trading down behind a third team that also took a WR.

It seems much more likely now that they grab a guy like Dejean or perhaps one of the IOL prospects.
That’s not necessarily true. It’s more likely they didn’t value anyone as a first round pick and decided to get value for the pick and pick someone closer to where they valued them. It’s quite smart IMO.

Now, that’s not to say they won’t take a different position and what you say is true, but I think it’s equally as likely they just didn’t value anyone as a first round talent.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
A minor accrual of draft capital value is fine but the actual execution is what really matters, of course. Given their recent track record they should really just trade every d2 pick for the entirety of the later rounds

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
That’s not necessarily true. It’s more likely they didn’t value anyone as a first round pick and decided to get value for the pick and pick someone closer to where they valued them. It’s quite smart IMO.

Now, that’s not to say they won’t take a different position and what you say is true, but I think it’s equally as likely they just didn’t value anyone as a first round talent.
No team has 33 or even 28 R1 grades on players.

If they had R2 grades on Worthy or Legette but they were towards the top of the board - he'd have selected them.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
As long as Cousin's contract is easy to get out of towards the backend of it, I think what they did was smart and good long term planning.
There's an out after the 3rd year before he turns 39yo. Spotrac link below.

Paying an old man too much money.

I get drafting Penix was good long-term planning, but investing so much in Cousins on a middling Falcons team? I guess the thought is it's a weak division / weak conference. Nothing against Cousins, but I don't get the value. At all.

As long as Cousin's contract is easy to get out of towards the backend of it, I think what they did was smart and good long term planning.
There's an out after the 3rd year before he turns 39yo. Spotrac link below.

Paying an old man too much money.

I get drafting Penix was good long-term planning, but investing so much in Cousins on a middling Falcons team? I guess the thought is it's a weak division / weak conference.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Given that Wilson is very slot heavy i don't think he'd be a fit though.

Burton will be a steal for someone. But do you see them looking past the off field stuff? That's the reason why I'm assuming both he & Tevondre Sweat won't even be considered.
Malik Nabers was a heavy slot guy. That’s doesn’t mean much. He can play all over the field. I watched every almost every snap the kid ever played in college, he’s a great player.

The Burton issue was that he shoved a fan after they lost a close game and the fans rushed the field. I watched the incident. It was totally overblown. This wasn’t a Lagarrette Blount situation. I agree that Sweat shouldn’t even be on the board. That guy is an idiot.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
The dream scenario would be Cooper Dejean, JPJ and Ladd McConkey, for me. We'd need two more high second round picks to make that happen, though, and I don't think Beane's got that kind of ammunition available.

Reactions: Willgamesh

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Either that - or they have a guy higher on their board than they suspect other teams do.

Legette to Carolina was almost an accepted fact. KC drafting Worthy was hardly a surprise either. The only guy who was, is Pearsall - and i strongly doubt he was that high on the Bills' board given the style / type of player he is.

Given that Wilson is very slot heavy i don't think he'd be a fit though.

Burton will be a steal for someone. But do you see them looking past the off field stuff? That's the reason why I'm assuming both he & Tevondre Sweat won't even be considered.
And maybe Powers-Johnson too if Brugler is right he fell because of character concerns. I wonder what they are

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Not close value wise.

I think you would have to trade them a '25 R2 - which i wouldn't necessarily be against doing.
By the Rich Hill chart 33+60+our 4 5th rounders is exactly equal to 36+40.

I'm not necessarily advocating for this, but enough day 3 ammo absolutely could get us there value wise, especially if a team like the Commanders is looking for a lot of picks.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I was responding to Doak saying we "got two more picks". As in going from 10 picks to 12. Which did not happen.

Right, apologies, it was early. We got another day 2 pick and moved into better position for day 3. We got extra value for taking what will be the same player.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Guys that seem to fit at #33OA that the Bills had Top 30 visits with:
  • Cooper Dejean
  • Keon Coleman
  • They also reportedly had multiple meetings with McConkey, Newton, and Fiske
Worth noting that they met with a ton of WRs that seem to fit the #60OA range (Franklin, McMillan, Walker). Maybe Coleman fits in this range too, not sure because his projection is all over the place.

Also, I'll throw out a darkhorse candidate for them today:

View attachment 859847

There's quite a bit of wrestling in Frazier's background :)
There has been Frazier-Bills smoke for a while. I just wonder about the fit as he is more of a C-only guy as opposed to JPJ that played C and G at Oregon.

The Bills did a private workout with Franklin. It will not shock me if he is "their guy."

I also could see McD wanting Newton or DeJean, as well. There are a ton of ways they can go today.

GMF-5thWkAAgMMs.jpg

This one worked out quite well to me.

My initial thought process was that a trade back made the most sense, then I got hypnotized by the hype train. But there are still about 10 or 11 WRs available that are really good players. If they can move around the board and get three good players, I’ll be happy. There are two guys that are being slept on hard, and that’s Roman’s Wilson and Jermaine Burton. If you can get either of those guys in the late 2nd, it’s a home run.
It wouldn't shock me if Burton's character questions had him off of the Bills board.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
There has been Frazier-Bills smoke for a while. I just wonder about the fit as he is more of a C-only guy as opposed to JPJ that played C and G at Oregon.

The Bills did a private workout with Franklin. It will not shock me if he is "their guy."

I also could see McD wanting Newton or DeJean, as well. There are a ton of ways they can go today.

View attachment 859858

This one worked out quite well to me.

It wouldn't shock me if Burton's character questions had him off of the Bills board.

If the Bills draft Benson in the 2nd and before a WR there will be a full on meltdown on social media and WGR :laugh:

Reactions: brian_griffin

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If they were thinking about drafting a QB, then I don't see why they sign Cousins to a 4 yr big money contract.

You sign Cousins if you want to win in the short term and not to just be a placeholder for a year to bridge to a young QB.

Add in that Odunze was there at 8...

If the Bills draft Benson in the 2nd and before a WR there will be a full on meltdown on social media and WGR :laugh:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Fezzy126

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

You're saying they have a WR that they value high enough on their board to take at 33OA, but felt comfortable enough to trade back from 28OA behind 3 WR-needy team to grab him? Sorry, but I'm not getting that logic.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
They can't get out of it until at least year, and even then it's with a 25 million dead cap hit. Even if all goes well with Penix's development, this completely kills the rookie QB contract advantage.

Also, not for nothing, Penix is already 24 years old. He'll be 26-28 when he starts getting first team reps I guess?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
They can't get out of it until at least year, and even then it's with a 25 million dead cap hit. Even if all goes well with Penix's development, this completely kills the rookie QB contract advantage.

Also, not for nothing, Penix is already 24 years old. He'll be 26-28 when he starts getting first team reps I guess?

Truly a baffling pick for them.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
You're saying they have a WR that they value high enough on their board to take at 33OA, but felt comfortable enough to trade back from 28OA behind 3 WR-needy team to grab him? Sorry, but I'm not getting that logic.
Yeah, seems pretty telegraphed they’re not taking a WR here.

Edit: And this is fine. There are going to be day one contributors at that position into day 3. It’s been said many times, the strengths of this WR class were at the very top, and with the absurd depth.

I’m ok with any position of need right here. I’m even ok with perceived reaches like Maason Smith, or Cole Bishop. As long as they come away from day 2 with at least one WR. There are going to be some good ones available with these next three picks.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad