Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It is pretty small. That's why my point before was that goals seem to matter far more in predicting future NHL production.

Also I got flamed for saying that if Broberg ends up good he will probably be in the NHL in his draft +4 season. Which isn't that odd, Klingberg took 5 years.
SHL goals by 18 year olds?

Don't think so. When the top three in goals for 18 year olds in SHL consist of Ulf Samuelsson and Tim Erixon then you should probably not put too much stock into it as a good measure for NHL success.

Stat lines for these kids is pretty useless. That is the point. Watch the games.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Don't think so. When the top three in goals for 18 year olds in SHL consist of Ulf Samuelsson and Tim Erixon then you should probably not put too much stock into it as a good measure for NHL success.

Stat lines for these kids is pretty useless. That is the point. Watch the games.
Karlsson scored, Hedman scored.

And I have watched games. Broberg shows almost zero offensive flair. I see him as a speedy left handed Larsson but much less physical.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Karlsson scored, Hedman scored.

And I have watched games. Broberg shows almost zero offensive flair. I see him as a speedy left handed Larsson but much less physical.

The stat lines from the SEL seem completely useless.

I don't watch the SEL but his play at the WJC was brutal. The 5th best defenseman on his team... He was in a defensive role but did not even look good doing that imo. I hope that tourney doesn't mean anything.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The stat lines from the SEL seem completely useless.

I don't watch the SEL but his play at the WJC was brutal. The 5th best defenseman on his team... He was in a defensive role but did not even look good doing that imo. I hope that tourney doesn't mean anything.
We can give it time. Took Klingberg 5 years to be an NHL player. We will see Broberg in the 2024-2025 season.

Reactions: Aerchon

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
We can give it time. Took Klingberg 5 years to be an NHL player. We will see Broberg in the 2024-2025 season.
Word of advice: one reason posters view you as being very negative (apart from you being very negative) is that you talk in absolutes. You act as if you know with certainty whether a move was the right one or whether a player will pan out. Try to give things some time before coming up with definitive judgement. :)

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Word of advice: one reason posters view you as being very negative (apart from you being very negative) is that you talk in absolutes. You act as if you know with certainty whether a move was the right one or whether a player will pan out. Try to give things some time before coming up with definitive judgement. :)
Yamamoto is a bust...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I personally can't stand when people state their opinions as facts.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Who is Tomas Mazura? Aka how is he progressing.

Is 72 points, only 12 goals tho, in 35 games good for USHS-Prep?

Very low league but relatively speaking is 2ppg any reason for optimism on this 6th rounder?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Who is Tomas Mazura? Aka how is he progressing.

Is 72 points, only 12 goals tho, in 35 games good for USHS-Prep?

Very low league but relatively speaking is 2ppg any reason for optimism on this 6th rounder?

He had a good stint in the USHL.

I think he's going to be a guy we'll have to wait until at least a couple of years at Providence to get a read on.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Pulju appears to be dominating FEL. Wonder if he tries the NHL again next year ;)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Pulju appears to be dominating FEL. Wonder if he tries the NHL again next year ;)

Still think him and his agent needed to suck it up, see the opportunity of new management and new coaching and stayed here to actual increase his interest. I think he did himself a disservice by going back over.

Reactions: Aerchon and North

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Still think him and his agent needed to suck it up, see the opportunity of new management and new coaching and stayed here to actual increase his interest. I think he did himself a disservice by going back over.
I agree with the first part, but to me him going back to Finland is the best thing that could have happened from the Oilers perspective. He spends the year rebuilding confidence and working on things in a league where he could excel, and the Oilers don’t have to worry about putting him into the lineup here on a regular basis.

Reactions: Biltmore

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree with the first part, but to me him going back to Finland is the best thing that could have happened from the Oilers perspective. He spends the year rebuilding confidence and working on things in a league where he could excel, and the Oilers don’t have to worry about putting him into the lineup here on a regular basis.
Imo him going back and saying he refuses to play for the Oilers was the mistake. Rebuilding confidence is all fine and dandy but the way he went about it was all wrong.

Like if he sat down and told management he wanted to go over to build confidence and wanted the new staff to build trust with him that's one thing. But he burnt bridges with arguably the most respected GM in the league. It'll be hard for the player to bounce back from that.

His best move would to apologize to the team, come to camp and show he has value like Drouin did. Then the GM can get at least some value for him and more teams will want him cause he will show he has grown up

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

If he stayed in the nhl it would have been significantly better for all involved. No idea how anyone thinks otherwise.

Massive opportunities for him if he stayed. No attitude issues devaluing him.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Scott Wheeler of the Athletic put out an article today about last year's draft picks and who have raised their stock or lowered theres.

He had Broberg as a faller. He didn't see him as a top 10 pick and he has done nothing this year to show why he was picked that high. Did say he hasn't had a bad year but with guys picked shortly after him having great seasons it's iffy.

His notes on Broberg

"He’s an excellent skater for his size and I believe he’s got enough skill to be a good NHL defenceman but I just don’t see a lot of other high-end tools, which probably means he tops out as a second-pairing option. His transition game will always be strong but I worry about his skill with the puck from the blue line in as well as his decision-making without it at the other end. The Oilers may regret this one."

Note: yes I haven't liked the player, I am not coloring this with bias, adding my own 2 cents, just sharing what a guy who spends his life following prospects has to say

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Scott Wheeler of the Athletic put out an article today about last year's draft picks and who have raised their stock or lowered theres.

He had Broberg as a faller. He didn't see him as a top 10 pick and he has done nothing this year to show why he was picked that high. Did say he hasn't had a bad year but with guys picked shortly after him having great seasons it's iffy.

His notes on Broberg

"He’s an excellent skater for his size and I believe he’s got enough skill to be a good NHL defenceman but I just don’t see a lot of other high-end tools, which probably means he tops out as a second-pairing option. His transition game will always be strong but I worry about his skill with the puck from the blue line in as well as his decision-making without it at the other end. The Oilers may regret this one."

Note: yes I haven't liked the player, I am not coloring this with bias, adding my own 2 cents, just sharing what a guy who spends his life following prospects has to say

I guess it makes sense that he would fall today in a redraft. He was viewed as a mid first round pick, so barring an amazing D+1 he would likely fall as of today. Of course, that can change in the future.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

I also think it was a good thing. The Oilers over the past decade have done themselves a massive disservice perception wise when it comes to player development. So when the Oilers got new management last year, I can see the agent still be weary. JP at that point was essentially in a make or break year for his NHL career. Going to FEL and having him do well (may I say dominate?), preserves his appeal as a upside player. It allowed him to play top minutes nightly

On the Oilers, he and his agent would have been looking for consistent top line minutes (IMO that werent justified, but should have been tested out).

I dont really fault JP for going back to the FEL for this year. But after seeing the team do well, Id be shocked and question him if he did so again next year. I am also just hoping his value league wide remains relatively high incase we trade him

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

His notes on Broberg

Seems mostly fair. The NCAA guys(Zegras, Caufield, Newhook, Knight) drafted after him have lit it up in their freshmen years. You could probably even make a case for Tomasino and McMichael competing with him that 10-15 range too.

Likely a faller(and partly because of how little press players overseas get), but not a huge faller, I'd say.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I guess it makes sense that he would fall today in a redraft. He was viewed as a mid first round pick, so barring an amazing D+1 he would likely fall as of today. Of course, that can change in the future.
Oh 100%.
Wheeler had him at 19 so he wasn't super high on him in the first place. You also then have guys like Zegras and Soderstrom having great years. That doesn't say that he is bad or good, just in a draft + 1, so far the idea that the pick was misplaced hasn't been disproved, yet.

It can always change, we just can only use the data we are given.

He also did note that he has been better lately. He was fine before and had a few good games, including the one where he played 20 minutes

Reactions: Llamamoto49

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Seems mostly fair. The NCAA guys(Zegras, Caufield, Newhook, Knight) drafted after him have lit it up in their freshmen years. You could probably even make a case for Tomasino and McMichael competing with him that 10-15 range too.

Likely a faller(and partly because of how little press players overseas get), but not a huge faller, I'd say.
Those 6 and Soderstrom have good cases ahead of him. I'd probably have Broberg 17-20 in a redraft. The Hlinka last year raised his stocks imo but he hasn't looked even close to the same player since. So either he is struggling now, or that tournament was a one off like we have seen before. Nothing wrong with that, still a first round pick guy either way.

I also have Kaliyev and Nick Robertson ahead in a redraft but that's mostly just recency bias and like always could change on a whim

Last edited:

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Those 6 and Soderstrom have good cases ahead of him. I'd probably have Broberg 17-20 in a redraft. The Hlinka last year raised his stocks imo but he hasn't looked even close to the same player since. So either he is struggling now, or that tournament was a one off like we have seen before. Nothing wrong with that, still a first round pick guy either way.

I also have Kaliyev and Nick Robertson ahead in a redraft but that's mostly just recency bias and like always could change on a whim

People's idea of development in junior, college versus pro is quite off base. I remember the same things being said about Klefbom and how how much better Brodin was. Broberg plays on a very good team and was given development minutes. I have no concern with him taking a while longer to develop. The development of someone like Caufield is always going to be quicker but that has no indication of where they top out at. There is no chance I would draft Soderstrom ahead of Broberg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad