Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Because I hate hyperbole and extremes regardless of who the player is and if it's positive or negative. It makes it very difficult to have a nuanced discussion.

And these are exactly the type of posts that I loathe. It's annoying to read and only serves to incite toxic flame wars. Seriously what do you hope to accomplish with this type of post?
Yep it's incredibly frustrating on both sides. He will make a single good play and people will start shitting on anyone who didn't like the pick for it, or he will make a single bad play and some who hate the pick won't let it go.

Like just get over it people. You can't get mad at people for disliking the pick and talk about small sample sizes and than try and call out and shame those same posters if he has a single good game or something.

Same on the other side.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Because I hate hyperbole and extremes regardless of who the player is and if it's positive or negative. It makes it very difficult to have a nuanced discussion.

And these are exactly the type of posts that I loathe. It's annoying to read and only serves to incite toxic flame wars. Seriously what do you hope to accomplish with this type of post?

I posted it to show Zegras fans that you can't make judgement calls on draft picks RIGHT when they've been drafted (although probably in a immature way lol)

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I wouldn't want both - as in when Broberg is ready, I wouldn't be overpaying Nurse way more than he's worth as a UFA. Rather be trading him by then but I'd be concerned they overpay Darnell and have a better guy in waiting who plays similar.

We have so many LHD in this system and I'd rather have diverse playing styles on D and Caleb Jones is not one I want to lose in my top 4 - I think he'll impress us this season.

True. I feel like Broberg will make less mistakes in the NHL than Nurse. I am a really big Nurse fan so I hope we can sign him to a friendly contract and I hope he can get his defensive game in order this season. We shall see what happens

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I wouldn't want both - as in when Broberg is ready, I wouldn't be overpaying Nurse way more than he's worth as a UFA. Rather be trading him by then but I'd be concerned they overpay Darnell and have a better guy in waiting who plays similar.

We have so many LHD in this system and I'd rather have diverse playing styles on D and Caleb Jones is not one I want to lose in my top 4 - I think he'll impress us this season.

And yes Jones. I was super excited when we drafted him. I believe he's underrated as well and that he will come out of the crowd as a top 4 dman

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yep it's incredibly frustrating on both sides. He will make a single good play and people will start shitting on anyone who didn't like the pick for it, or he will make a single bad play and some who hate the pick won't let it go.

Like just get over it people. You can't get mad at people for disliking the pick and talk about small sample sizes and than try and call out and shame those same posters if he has a single good game or something.

Same on the other side.

its ever more annoying when people do the same for prospects that aren’t Oiler property like Zegras. I don’t understand why people obsess over prospects that we didn’t draft for years after the draft, especially when the player we did draft is trending very well.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I posted it to show Zegras fans that you can't make judgement calls on draft picks RIGHT when they've been drafted (although probably in a immature way lol)
Who cares? For one both can be good prospects, why can’t some fans on this board accept that? Also at the time of the draft Zegras was the consensus media BPA, so people wanted him drafted, despite having limited to no knowledge of either player.

Why is he even brought into the conversation with Broberg? I’ve put in here like 5 times now to fans who keep bringing him up, that’s a conversation for like 4 years from now when looking at a redraft thread, not after Broberg/Zegras get a secondary assist or something stupid.

The fact that people think they need to shove it into each other’s face about a prospect that Edmonton didn’t draft, only a single year after, is the stupidest thing I’ve read, not even mentioning that it’s after like one pre tournament WJC game.

I also know it’s not this board as a whole, it’s like 5 of you who keep doing it to each other after every game one of them plays, it’s so annoying.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
its ever more annoying when people do the same for prospects that aren’t Oiler property like Zegras. I don’t understand why people obsess over prospects that we didn’t draft for years after the draft, especially when the player we did draft is trending very well.
There’s a difference between following a drafted prospect of another team you liked at the time, and commenting on development, which is fine, this is a Hockey Board, and then those that watch a YouTube clip of a Broberg play and come in here to bash about people who criticized the pick.

There is a lot of civil people in the WJC thread just commenting on prospects play that they like.

I was a big Zegras fan at the time of the draft, but his play and development currently has nothing to do with Broberg, and shouldn’t even be in a Broberg thread, accept that 5 or so people on this sub keep dragging his name in here.

This is a Broberg thread, it should be for Broberg discussion, development, play/etc..

In 5 years when someone wants to do a redraft of the 2019 Draft, that’s when these people can tee off about the prospect they wanted.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
What I find even more annoying than your typical annoying Joe is someone constantly complaining about Joe. That makes them an annoying Pete in my book. Hello, I'm annoying Philip. :D

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Who cares? For one both can be good prospects, why can’t some fans on this board accept that? Also at the time of the draft Zegras was the consensus media BPA, so people wanted him drafted, despite having limited to no knowledge of either player.

Why is he even brought into the conversation with Broberg? I’ve put in here like 5 times now to fans who keep bringing him up, that’s a conversation for like 4 years from now when looking at a redraft thread, not after Broberg/Zegras get a secondary assist or something stupid.

The fact that people think they need to shove it into each other’s face about a prospect that Edmonton didn’t draft, only a single year after, is the stupidest thing I’ve read, not even mentioning that it’s after like one pre tournament WJC game.

I also know it’s not this board as a whole, it’s like 5 of you who keep doing it to each other after every game one of them plays, it’s so annoying.

yeah I have no idea why people who didn’t like the Broberg pick feel the need to post in a Broberg thread every time Zegras ties his shoes successfully or completes a pass.

Reactions: ujju2

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

They will lose against Russia. Anything else in my book would be an upset. This Russia team has played together for a while now, they were smart about this and they are reaping those benefits (also obviously a very talented team).

I think Canada is they only team that can match up vs Russia.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Given our experiences with Klefbom and Larsson, honestly I just want this kid to stay healthy!

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Is this the Broberg thread or am I at HFDucks with all this Zegras talk?

Bro is our guy. What’s done is done.

He sure looked sharp yesterday I thought, more impressed with his defensive play and physicality than anything else. Really liking the development trajectory he is on.

Finish the year in Sweden. Some AHL time after that or the full year following in the AHL playing big minutes, then he’ll likely be a full time NHLer and never look back.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Love the pick more and more. He has so many tools and looks great.

Only concerns i have so far are some of his brainfarts(no biggie yet) but it's his lack of finish that concerns me. Tons of plays where he makes unbelievable moves to create, then it results in nothing.

Take this for what it's worth, but i took lots of flack for seeing and saying the same thing in Nurse and JP early. And i wasn't wrong

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Love the pick more and more. He has so many tools and looks great.

Only concerns i have so far are some of his brainfarts(no biggie yet) but it's his lack of finish that concerns me. Tons of plays where he makes unbelievable moves to create, then it results in nothing.

Take this for what it's worth, but i took lots of flack for seeing and saying the same thing in Nurse and JP early. And i wasn't wrong
The more cool, calm and collective Broberg grows while dominating with speed, size and strength the more our enemies tremble with fear, angst and despair.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
They will lose against Russia. Anything else in my book would be an upset. This Russia team has played together for a while now, they were smart about this and they are reaping those benefits (also obviously a very talented team).

I think Canada is they only team that can match up vs Russia.

What about the Czech?

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
What about the Czech?
:dunno:

... did not see that coming. Czechia beating Russia, awesome. I bought into the hype about Russia, guilty as charged! One of the very few times I say something with assumed certainty, and I got burned right away... Never again! :laugh:

Good!

Reactions: nally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad