Confirmed Trade: [MTL/VAN] Tanner Pearson and 2025 3rd round pick for Casey DeSmith

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
Weren’t there Canucks fans in the playoff forum earlier today saying their season was done and the team was dead because DeSmith was replacing Demko? So now is DeSmith a great addition worth bumping a 7 month ago thread over?

I’ve always thought DeSmith was super underrated, he consistently put up good numbers while playing a good amount of games. A lot of teams have worse backups than him and some even have worse starters. Still though, odd bump.

Given a large enough population there will always be outliers, stop listening to the loud fringe minority.

Reactions: Just Linda

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He’s been a solid pick up. A good backup who can step in and play well through stretches. Has to be quite the year for him being thrust into the starters role partway through the playoffs. What a pressure cooker! So far so good.
Definitely a timely bump.
Most posters on here won't trade with Montreal. I don't know why? All 3 deals Montreal made this season favoured the other team. DeSmith was a steal for Pearson. Allen half retained for a 3rd was steal for Jersey. Monahan for late first was good deal for Jets.

Yet they post these right lopsided trade offers. Wanting Guhle or somebody of that caliber for a late first, etc..Crazy

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Why wasn't this thread brought back from the dead after game 2? Wonder what the views would have been then lol, or during the skid end of season. 🤭

rea

Feb 8, 2011
The view would have been that it was a great trade for both teams. DeSmith has been a huge addition for Vancouver all year.
Lol this your opinion or do you speak for the whole fan base? Not that I'm going to waste my time looking them up, but the sky was falling for quite a few ppl on here 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Good trade for Habs getting a pick for a goalie that was goin on waivers and likely to clear. The trade was really a 3rd to take on Pearson.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
It's a bit of a nothing move
It was a well thought out trade. If the Habs waived Desmith, the Nucks would have struggled to claim him due to their cap crunch. Plus, there was no guarantee he would be unclaimed before the Nucks had their chance. Habs took on a capdump and received a 3rd for their trouble. That allowed the Nucks to take on Desmith, who at the time of the trade had zero value.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Good trade for Habs getting a pick for a goalie that was goin on waivers and likely to clear. The trade was really a 3rd to take on Pearson.
This was a win win for both teams. Canucks got a back up (Silovs was not ready at the start of the year), and 3 mil in cap space, Habs got a 3rd and a player that they hoped to flip at the deadline.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Pearson to me will always be remembered as the most random extension in the history of the NHL by Benning

Completely eliminated from the playoffs by the deadline
Pettersson and Hughes unsigned, and they knew they were gonna cost a fortune with like NO CAP room, with a huge off-season coming up

Was getting offers from teams for playoff runs for Pearson

And Benning just randomly gave this guy an extension right at the deadline with no trade clauses in the first few years.

Which was OK'd by Bo Horvat, whom was his locker room buddy so that those meanies like JT Miller, Quinn Hughes, Brock Boeser and Elias Pettersson wouldn't come down harsh on good old Canadian boy Horvat.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It was a well thought out trade. If the Habs waived Desmith, the Nucks would have struggled to claim him due to their cap crunch. Plus, there was no guarantee he would be unclaimed before the Nucks had their chance. Habs took on a capdump and received a 3rd for their trouble. That allowed the Nucks to take on Desmith, who at the time of the trade had zero value.
It’s actually strange there wasn’t more interest as a lot of teams could have used a backup like DeSmith. Heck he’d be as good or better than a few starters.
I’d credit Ian Clark, the long standing goalie coach in Vancouver. He’s had a great record of identifying goaltenders with untapped potential and working with them to improve their fundamentals.

Reactions: Gustave

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This was a win win for both teams. Canucks got a back up (Silovs was not ready at the start of the year), and 3 mil in cap space, Habs got a 3rd and a player that they hoped to flip at the deadline.
Great summary!
The third was the going price to create the cap space the Canucks desperately needed. De Smith was largely a throw in for a player we might miss on waivers.
Ian Clark obviously saw something in this guy.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Most posters on here won't trade with Montreal. I don't know why? All 3 deals Montreal made this season favoured the other team. DeSmith was a steal for Pearson. Allen half retained for a 3rd was steal for Jersey. Monahan for late first was good deal for Jets.

Yet they post these right lopsided trade offers. Wanting Guhle or somebody of that caliber for a late first, etc..Crazy
Thee were no steals. Islanders and Canucks got a useful goaltender. Neither are anything special. Hans managed to get draft picks for players they needed to unload.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
It’s actually strange there wasn’t more interest as a lot of teams could have used a backup like DeSmith. Heck he’d be as good or better than a few starters.
I’d credit Ian Clark, the long standing goalie coach in Vancouver. He’s had a great record of identifying goaltenders with untapped potential and working with them to improve their fundamentals.
He wasn't that good for Pittsbugh but still better than a lot of teams goaltenders. Teams probably weren't willing to give up a 3rd for another goaltender that early. And then have to find a spot for the goaltender he would replace.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
There were no takers. He was a capdump when the Habs got him.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Not a great trade for MTL. Pearson either sucked or was injured this year.

The only good thing is we had 4 goalies and gor rid of one.
Meh they got a 3rd round pick for a guy that was going on waivers a week later, I don't feel like Pearson really kept anyone out of the lineup that should have been in either

Reactions: SlafySZN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad