Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Broberg got beat up last night. Definitely needs more seasoning, his peformance last night was very Oilers like, trying hard and getting smashed for his efforts. Missing the net on some good looks. Has all the physical tools for the NHL, comes as advertised though as there is definitely some chaos in his game. At his physical stature he should let the game come to him a bit more. Should come with experience.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
Broberg got beat up last night. Definitely needs more seasoning, his peformance last night was very Oilers like, trying hard and getting smashed for his efforts. Missing the net on some good looks. Has all the physical tools for the NHL, comes as advertised though as there is definitely some chaos in his game. At his physical stature he should let the game come to him a bit more. Should come with experience.
Thought he looked super tentative.

Reactions: Aerchon

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'm a critic of Broberg but I'm not taking these games very seriously. It's apparent he's playing injured and probably shouldn't even be playing at all. It's unfortunate because I was hoping to see what his play would be like as one of the leaders on this Swedish team. But you can't evaluate him when it's clear he isn't close to 100% health-wise.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm a critic of Broberg but I'm not taking these games very seriously. It's apparent he's playing injured and probably shouldn't even be playing at all. It's unfortunate because I was hoping to see what his play would be like as one of the leaders on this Swedish team. But you can't evaluate him when it's clear he isn't close to 100% health-wise.

I think it says something when the Swedish management think he's still a better option to play minutes when he's at 50%.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
But is that because he is so good, or that they have crap depth?
Defense is what we were suppose to have depth on. Broberg had to play as a real stay-at-home defenseman since his second game, a role he probably never have played before in his career, and did it as good as you could expect. I don't expect to and I don't want to see him on the ice in the SHL for another 2 weeks, because his skating after the first game was at like 30/40% of what he's shown before.

Reactions: Al from New Jersey

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
This is the appropriate response to Broberg’s tournanment, hoping that people consider this when evaluating but I have low hopes.

Broberg is also very raw, and is still very young, at the time of the draft I was skeptical, but he was viewed as a long term project. Still looking forward to his development and I think we are still probably 2 years, at least, from evaluating the pick.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Defense is what we were suppose to have depth on. Broberg had to play as a real stay-at-home defenseman since his second game, a role he probably never have played before in his career, and did it as good as you could expect. I don't expect to and I don't want to see him on the ice in the SHL for another 2 weeks, because his skating after the first game was at like 30/40% of what he's shown before.

I think it has to be pointed out that in his last WJC he wasn't good enough offensively to garner any PP/Offensive zone time and was used exclusively as a stay at home defenseman. A role i didn't think he did particularly good at last time, but as evidence of how injured he is... I think Broberg was actually better in his last WJC where he was meh at best.

His injury is the big thing here. A good chance without Covid he doesn't even play due to it. He didn't help his team this year overall and shouldn't have been in the line up after his first game.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I’ve said in the past that Broberg reminds me of a mix between Nurse and Klefbom... this tournament showed that well. He has Nurses mind for the game, and Klefs body apparently... disappointing tournament for the kid.

I've also often felt he is a mix of those two as well.

He really reminded me of Nurse when his brain can't catch up to the play in the defensive zone this tournament.

Just as an aside but Nurse was ten times better than Broberg in that stay at home defensive role at the WJC level.

I hope he finds his own niche in the NHL rather than bring a watered down version of either Nurse or Klefbom or a hybrid of the two.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Pretty disappointed with his play. Likely was playing with an injury though, so I don’t know how much you can really take away from it.

Reactions: Aerchon

North

Jun 25, 2009
Pretty disappointed with his play. Likely was playing with an injury though, so I don’t know how much you can really take away from it.

That’s the thing. If he was 100% and played that way I’d be concerned but because he wasn’t it’s impossible to judge his game.

I do think some people who were against this pick are using his play as confirmation bias rather than taking the injury into account.

Reactions: nabob

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB

He really reminded me of Nurse when his brain can't catch up to the play in the defensive zone this tournament.

Just as an aside but Nurse was ten times better than Broberg in that stay at home defensive role at the WJC level.

I hope he finds his own niche in the NHL rather than bring a watered down version of either Nurse or Klefbom or a hybrid of the two.

That Nurse - Theodore pairing was amazing... if I remember correctly they weren’t on the ice for a single ES goal against all tournament.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
upload_2021-1-2_19-40-58.jpeg

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

a hybrid of Nurse and Klefbom is a very very good NHL D.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
On the bright side this tournament was a wonderful crash course in what being an Oiler is likefor Brobeast. This lad is ready now.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

Discussion a few pages back but Broberg was slotted last year as Team Sweden's shutdown defender and as one poster established did a very solid job. Looking at Team Sweden's tendencies, they tend to dole out the PP minutes to their age 19 veterans. Through his three year tenure on Sweden's U20 team he's groomed with focus on defense, rose to go to shutdown defender last year, and this year's tournament slotted into a 20-22 minute defender with some secondary PP time which was likely inhibited by the injury which seemed to negatively affect his explosive skating and lateral movement.

This has been a highly disappointing tournament for the Oiler's elite prospect. I felt his first game was somewhat overhyped with three somewhat gratuitous points against a weak opponent but it seemed his skating and mobility obviously got worse as the tournament progressed. This was a humbling tournament for a proud Swedish team and viewing the post-game interview I doubt anyone took it harder than their captain. The u20 is a snapshot in development - an important one with best on best peer competition - but it is part of the long development process required to mature teenagers into professional hockey players. We've seen some clear development areas in Broberg's game imo - continuing to grow a more physical component to his defending, improving his shot blocking and augmenting a bit from a passive stick approach to defending with more active use of his size - all of which works on big ice and more finesse style in European leagues. Adding some physical elements like a Klefbom will help in development for small rink, aggressive and physical NHL play. His shot looks to need work with difficulty executing one-timers and not really showing a heavy shot which would help offensive production. Can't overlook and under appreciate this kid gritted out 20+ minutes/game playing through some form of injury. That's a plus in the character department for me.

We didn't see the best of Broberg this tournament. But I believe this kid has an iron will and intelligence to ultimately turn this heartbreaking adversity into motivation and the workboots required to grow his game to meet the high potential that made him a top ten NHL pick. Tough lessons but it will be what he does moving forward from this tournament's experiences that will be vital to his development.

Reactions: Moreaupheus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->