Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Haha I’m just kidding with you, I don’t think anyone could of seen that coming including the Russians and Czechs.

Great game by them and especially their goalie!
I know, it's just funny. I almost never, ever, post any predictions with assumed certainty... The one time I did I got burned right away :laugh:

I should have known!

Reactions: nally

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Love the pick more and more. He has so many tools and looks great.

Only concerns i have so far are some of his brainfarts(no biggie yet) but it's his lack of finish that concerns me. Tons of plays where he makes unbelievable moves to create, then it results in nothing.

Take this for what it's worth, but i took lots of flack for seeing and saying the same thing in Nurse and JP early. And i wasn't wrong
It's somewhat frustrating for sure. I think and hope though that he'll work and get better on it. Last year he focused (most) on learning D vs men, this year he said he is working hard on being varied in how he moves the puck up the ice. Not only skate it, but work on other types of breakouts, not to be predictable. Seems to be a great character, hope he can work on that finish. Hopefully he looks at and takes advice from McDrai on how to finish.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
When we got Pronger, Spacek and Tarnstrom or when we had Souray, Visnovsky, Gilbert and Grebeshkov

The bolded was not a good defence. Souray could bomb the puck but he was not good in his own end, and was hurt more often than not. Visnovsky had one decent year, Gilbert and Grebs were just flat out terrible.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It's somewhat frustrating for sure. I think and hope though that he'll work and get better on it. Last year he focused (most) on learning D vs men, this year he said he is working hard on being varied in how he moves the puck up the ice. Not only skate it, but work on other types of breakouts, not to be predictable. Seems to be a great character, hope he can work on that finish. Hopefully he looks at and takes advice from McDrai on how to finish.

"okay, now listen up kid! If you want to be able to really make great plays and finish like us, go out and get yourself some better genes!"

Reactions: LaGu

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Broberg injured
"
Head Coach Joel Ronnmark confirmed following Sweden's 4-0 shutout win over Austria that Broberg could have played through his injury but they decided to take a cautious approach.
"If we really wanted, I could have dressed him today," Ronnmark said of Edmonton's eighth-overall selection in 2019. "He'll be ready to go moving forward. That's our plan, at least.""

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
The bolded was not a good defence. Souray could bomb the puck but he was not good in his own end, and was hurt more often than not. Visnovsky had one decent year, Gilbert and Grebs were just flat out terrible.

Hot take alert. I think Visnovsky was the best dman not named Pronger we've had since Paul Coffey. I think Visnovsky was by far and away our best player when he was dealt.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Hot take alert. I think Visnovsky was the best dman not named Pronger we've had since Paul Coffey. I think Visnovsky was by far and away our best player when he was dealt.

The only D to come close to Vis' impact in the last 10 years was Whitney for half a season in 2010-11. Other than that it's been a pile of suck and disappointment back there (well, until now!).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Vis was fine, but don't forget, we're looking at that as a group. Unless you think Gilbert and Grebs were solid top 4 guys.:huh:

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Vis was fine, but don't forget, we're looking at that as a group. Unless you think Gilbert and Grebs were solid top 4 guys.:huh:

I was just talking about Visnovsky to be honest but since you asked I will say I thought the D was strong that season. Grebeshkov had a terrific year and Gilbert was a solid player who's puck moving complimented Souray well. Souray was really good and was always a good defensive player having broke into the league as one. Souray only ever got buried out of pettiness and because of injuries for saying what looks like in retrospect was the truth.

As for other past Oiler D groups 16-17 was quality. I think Sekera was also a very good D, arguably a #2, until the knee injury and Russell was in his prime and was serviceable as Sekeras partner. A healthy Klefbom was looking awesome before the shoulder issues and Larsson was strong that year. Nurse and Benning were terrific on the 3rd pair. They had a really strong pair and 4 legit top 4 guys who were all healthy. Crazy the D was all healthy that season but in the aftermath none of them other than Russell would be the same player the next few years because of injuries and tragedy.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Anyone think there would be any big changes to the top 10 of this draft order since the draft?

upload_2020-12-29_17-29-4.png

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The only D to come close to Vis' impact in the last 10 years was Whitney for half a season in 2010-11. Other than that it's been a pile of suck and disappointment back there (well, until now!).
Souray? He was on par with Whitney/Vis IMO.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

Depends what you consider “solid”, but I thought Gilbert was actually a pretty decent defenseman. He was no force in his own zone, but he could skate, was pretty shifty, and could move the puck. The difference between him and a guy like Bear (who seems to garner near-universal praise on here) isn’t thaaaat great.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Anyone think there would be any big changes to the top 10 of this draft order since the draft?

View attachment 380937

Obviously way too early for anything but I think the top3 would be Hughes, Dach and Seider. Zegras probably jumps up to #4. 5-6-7 is probably Kakko, Byram, Turcotte. Beyond that who knows...

Hughes was really underwhelming in his rookie year but he's still easily the most talented player in the entire draft. He could/should be a top10 forward in the league once he gains some strength and figures out the NHL game.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Obviously way too early for anything but I think the top3 would be Hughes, Dach and Seider. Zegras probably jumps up to #4. 5-6-7 is probably Kakko, Byram, Turcotte. Beyond that who knows...

Hughes was really underwhelming in his rookie year but he's still easily the most talented player in the entire draft. He could/should be a top10 forward in the league once he gains some strength and figures out the NHL game.

I don't think Zegras jumps past Broberg, let alone to #4. I think the rest of your reordering looks about right though.

Reactions: ujju2

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
First game I am looking forward to is Sweden vs Russia tomorrow night. Let's see what Broberg brings to the first big game of the Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad