Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
He's a ways away from being NHL ready IMO. His game is still really raw and he doesn't have one skill outside of skating that is good enough to transition him to the NHL game seamlessly.

You need to do more than skate fast in a straight line to establish as an every day NHLer and there's just not a ton of substance to his game currently. He'll likely need a full year in the AHL next season before making the jump. Bouchard is more NHL ready because he thinks the game at a much higher level. At the very least, he should be able to QB a PP.

Klefbom was 21 when he became a full time NHLer. I could see a similar timeline for Broberg although Klef seemed a bit more polished at the same age.

I could see him making the team outright after one more year of professional hockey. This is obviously up for debate but does he even have any particular area of his game that's a big detriment? I think having elite skating on top of being well-rounded is a big benefit. On top of that, he adds another dimension to our breakouts by being capable of skating the puck out of the zone effectively, more so than Nurse. This compliments the passing of Bear and Bouchard nicely.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
He's a ways away from being NHL ready IMO. His game is still really raw and he doesn't have one skill outside of skating that is good enough to transition him to the NHL game seamlessly.

You need to do more than skate fast in a straight line to establish as an every day NHLer and there's just not a ton of substance to his game currently. He'll likely need a full year in the AHL next season before making the jump. Bouchard is more NHL ready because he thinks the game at a much higher level. At the very least, he should be able to QB a PP.

Klefbom was 21 when he became a full time NHLer. I could see a similar timeline for Broberg although Klef seemed a bit more polished at the same age.

Agreed. I don't see anything else in Broberg's game that is NHL level either. Hockey IQ seems lacking, very little physicality to his game, defensive reads are still a work in progress from others accounts who have watched him more than I. I have seen very little of him though, so I'm largely basing my opinion on those few times I've seen him, plus the opinions of others who have watched him more (like the cult of hockey guys as an example)

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I could see him making the team outright after one more year of professional hockey. This is obviously up for debate but does he even have any particular area of his game that's a big detriment? I think having elite skating on top of being well-rounded is a big benefit. On top of that, he adds another dimension to our breakouts by being capable of skating the puck out of the zone effectively, more so than Nurse. This compliments the passing of Bear and Bouchard nicely.

I think the hockey IQ is lacking compared to other high end D prospects and I don't see any skill that is noticeably above average outside of skating. He's not a particularly good defender, plays too soft for my liking and tends to lose track of where he needs to be at times, not a great puckhandler, ok outlet pass, average shot.
You watch him and then watch Seider for instance and it's night and day. Seider stands out in so many ways.

His selling point is size and skating. To be quite frank, the rest of his game is pedestrian.
The skating will allow him to be a solid NHL Dman (likely a 2nd pairing guy) but I don't see nearly as much upside as others do. I think Bouchard has a higher ceiling because he has natural gifts that Broberg just doesn't have.

Stauffer and a lot of other media members drool over him seeing big time potential and I just don't see it. He's an interesting case of a player that is pretty raw but doesn't have a ton of growth potential IMO.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think the hockey IQ is lacking compared to other high end D prospects and I don't see any skill that is noticeably above average outside of skating. He's not a particularly good defender, plays too soft for my liking and tends to lose track of where he needs to be at times, not a great puckhandler, ok outlet pass, average shot.
You watch him and then watch Seider for instance and it's night and day. Seider stands out in so many ways.

His selling point is size and skating. To be quite frank, the rest of his game is pedestrian.
The skating will allow him to be a solid NHL Dman (likely a 2nd pairing guy) but I don't see nearly as much upside as others do. I think Bouchard has a higher ceiling because he has natural gifts that Broberg just doesn't have.

Stauffer and a lot of other media members drool over him seeing big time potential and I just don't see it. He's an interesting case of a player that is pretty raw but doesn't have a ton of growth potential IMO.
Bouchard has the more offensive skill but I think your underrating Broberg as well. You should see how good he’s been offensively in Sweden this year. I watched some of his games after the WJC. He’s been a beast

Reactions: CanmoreMike

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm not sure we can peg his development path quite yet. Broberg's body of work against peer competition is quite strong including shutdown pairing on a strong team at 18. This year's tournament, viewed as a breakout, unfortunately, was hampered by injury so we didn't see his best game but rather a guy who gutted out 20 minute games minus mobility and shooting. His teenage years internship in a top professional league is about building a strong foundation for defending with progressive minutes and situational play. We see flashes of his offensive possibilities driven by elite skating, but, this element of his substantive toolkit is very much a work in progress especially against mature, professional competition.

At end of season, Broberg will have three years of progressive development in a strong professional league much stronger than many peers facing junior or college competition. I'm not sure the high end offensive game will be realized but I would not sleep on his ability to adapt quickly to North American game and NHL speed and competition.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Has anyone watched him much lately?
Went to go look at his stats and he has seemed to have fallen back a bit.
-5 (worst for defense on team) and is 5th for defenders on TOI/GP.
Has his usage gone down or is he still having issues from his injury? Or is the coach just relying more on more veteran guys?

Reactions: Aerchon

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Has anyone watched him much lately?
Went to go look at his stats and he has seemed to have fallen back a bit.
-5 (worst for defense on team) and is 5th for defenders on TOI/GP.
Has his usage gone down or is he still having issues from his injury? Or is the coach just relying more on more veteran guys?
Usage. His injury is pretty much gone. He's been the 7th Dman mostly now I believe

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Usage. His injury is pretty much gone. He's been the 7th Dman mostly now I believe
7th in the sense of having him jump in to new pairs occassionally? I mean his TOI is not as a 7th. Last 3 games I think he had 16, 18, 15 TOI mins.

Looking at stats is hard though, Skelleftea seems to be mixing up ice times on a nightly basis. One night the none of their Ds play over 17 mins, next night one plays 21, and after that the same guy plays 14 mins ... Hard to get a read on it unless watching the games (which I have not been doing).

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Yeah, Broberg is 1 or 2 years away at the minimum. He will need at least 1 season on the smaller ice (next year), and then the next season to start being a difference maker at the AHL level. I can't see him on the Oilers full time until the 23-24 season.
He can speed up the process by playing some AHL games right after his season in Europe.
Could be NHL ready at this time next year after a 50 game AHL stint.
Feb 2022

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
7th in the sense of having him jump in to new pairs occassionally? I mean his TOI is not as a 7th. Last 3 games I think he had 16, 18, 15 TOI mins.

Looking at stats is hard though, Skelleftea seems to be mixing up ice times on a nightly basis. One night the none of their Ds play over 17 mins, next night one plays 21, and after that the same guy plays 14 mins ... Hard to get a read on it unless watching the games (which I have not been doing).

Honestly, it's hard to understand what that team is doing. It feels like, if a player is having a good game early, they give them more ice time. I wish it wasn't like that. Give Broberg a role to succeed and let him run with it

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Yeah, Broberg is 1 or 2 years away at the minimum. He will need at least 1 season on the smaller ice (next year), and then the next season to start being a difference maker at the AHL level. I can't see him on the Oilers full time until the 23-24 season.

Only thing I don't agree with is him needing a full second year in the AHL fully. He's got too much talent and brains to not be ready in the second season. I think he should start off in the AHL in his second pro season but, eventually, I think he'll be an NHLer by then

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Honestly, it's hard to understand what that team is doing. It feels like, if a player is having a good game early, they give them more ice time. I wish it wasn't like that. Give Broberg a role to succeed and let him run with it
The word succeed probably means different to us than his current organization.

Maybe he has told them that he is moving to NA after this season and they are planning the squad accordingly giving time to other Dmen who are more committed to the team.

Reactions: McTonyBrar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad