Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
How people aren't excited about him is beyond me. He is good. Very good.
I didn't like the pick when it was made and thought he had an underwhelming season last year in Sweden and at the WJC. Not bad not good, but underwhelming. He has had a much better season so far this year (slumps included) and is off to a good start at the WJC. Still don't see him as a top pairing guy but I am much higher in him than last year.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
It's all about the FlowBro

t8FPH74.jpg

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Solid game, wouldn't say spectacular. He looked confident and in control throughout with 14 minutes after two periods. Generally really solid defensively albeit not physical. Did get caught up once defending when his feet got tangled a bit on a crossover but held his position pretty well. His offence was somewhat fortuitous with some cherry bounces but putting up four points take them any way they come. His shot looks like it needs some work. He was shutdown early third so likely played with flu or minor injury.

Overall a very solid start as the leader and now veteran age 19 top liner. Will be fun to watch his performance as the tournament progresses and competition gets stiffer.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
From what I saw from Broberg today - the points were a bit coincidental, skating looked great

Looked a lot like Nurse+ to me - the plus being a bit more dynamic offensively, looks to score.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
From what I saw from Broberg today - the points were a bit coincidental, skating looked great

Looked a lot like Nurse+ to me - the plus being a bit more dynamic offensively, looks to score.

And what is so wrong with Nurse? If he turns out to be a Nurse type Dman, but being more dynamic offensively, then we are golden. Broberg will also have a good mentor in Larsson which Nurse did not.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

The thing I like about Broberg is he drives the net. I always watch for guys who drive into high scoring positions. They usually end up being stars.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Just read this thread. Already made my comments in the WJC thread and I see everyone is on the same page.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
It's because they're butthurt we didn't get NHL Superstar Zegras. Apparently they are legendary scouts and already know he's a superstar
The frankly, stupidity, of the over the top Zegras "fans" , is they are and were so certain that the Oilers blew the pick. Notwithstanding:
1) they barely saw any, if at all, of these guys play
2) Scouts & organizations know waaaaaay more than they ever will
3) its a projection out as to what the kid will be like in 5 years

Its fine to like 1 kid more than another. But its over the top dumb to be saying "they blew it" or its an outrage they didn't pick A over B

Last edited:

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
And what is so wrong with Nurse? If he turns out to be a Nurse type Dman, but being more dynamic offensively, then we are golden. Broberg will also have a good mentor in Larsson which Nurse did not.

In the 15 minute section in swedish TV about Broberg, it began with a solo interview with Broberg. The phone rings for the journalist: -Oh, it's Adam Larsson. Broberg: -He just called me as well.
Larsson also keeps calling him "Phille", an informal nick-name indicating well-established connection.
So maybe the highlighted text can be replaced with "already has".

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I for one thought he played great for like two periods. Partly in the 1st, full second 2nd and beginning 3rd. In the first and second there was no doubt imo, you could see that this was a team just coming out of quarantine and not having even played an exhibition game pre-tournament. Söderström, Holtz and Raymond were not at all at the level that I expected. Söderström rebounded in parts of 2nd and then definitely in the 3rd (where he was the best player). Broberg did what a C should, kept things together when others were struggling.

I mentioned in the other thread that the PK was really night and day with him on/off it. Also love that he had some guts, holding onto the puck instead of just immediately passing it away all the time (like many others kept on doing in the first two periods). Going for it, this year he will obviously not be reigned in. I doubt we'll see another 3 pts evening for him, but pretty awesome start!

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Why is that getting you angry?

Because I hate hyperbole and extremes regardless of who the player is and if it's positive or negative. It makes it very difficult to have a nuanced discussion.

It's because they're butthurt we didn't get NHL Superstar Zegras. Apparently they are legendary scouts and already know he's a superstar

And these are exactly the type of posts that I loathe. It's annoying to read and only serves to incite toxic flame wars. Seriously what do you hope to accomplish with this type of post?

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

I wouldn't want both - as in when Broberg is ready, I wouldn't be overpaying Nurse way more than he's worth as a UFA. Rather be trading him by then but I'd be concerned they overpay Darnell and have a better guy in waiting who plays similar.

We have so many LHD in this system and I'd rather have diverse playing styles on D and Caleb Jones is not one I want to lose in my top 4 - I think he'll impress us this season.

Reactions: McTonyBrar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad