Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Ladies and gentlemen, take a deep breath and put your toasters back in the closet. The EK trade couldn't have gone better for us. EK was going to a Western team. That he's going to a team in their 5 year cup window is fantastic for us. The Coyotes will be (G-d willing) entering their cup window just as SJ leaves theirs to retool.

Seriously, our window won't open for at least 3 years. One to two years to get into the playoffs, one to two years to get to the WCF, and then a serious run at the cup for a number of years.

Reactions: cobra427

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Ladies and gentlemen, take a deep breath and put your toasters back in the closet. The EK trade couldn't have gone better for us. EK was going to a Western team. That he's going to a team in their 5 year cup window is fantastic for us. The Coyotes will be (G-d willing) entering their cup window just as SJ leaves theirs to retool.

Seriously, our window won't open for at least 3 years. One to two years to get into the playoffs, one to two years to get to the WCF, and then a serious run at the cup for a number of years.

Yeah maaaaybe...a lot of ifs there. The biggest one being IF we can find another goaltender like Raanta if he’s gone by then. I’m starting to think that the windows for championships are opening and closing much faster than we have been used to. You could make a strong argument that our window starts next year and goes for the next 2-3 years from there. We have to take advantage of OEL in his prime, the large number of ELC’s we have that could potentially play way above their contracts, and the last good years of Stepan, Hammer and Raanta’s careers. Raanta could have another 6-7 good years in him but for Step and Hammer it’s like 3-4 realistically.

We are seeing this now as an NFL model too. Draft a QB you really like and if you hit and he’s really good, you take advantage of that rookie contract where you’re paying him next to nothing and stack the team up around him. In the NHL it’s similar with young stars on ELC’s. Our window to win should be while OEL is still in his prime and while we have guys like Keller, Hayton, Chychrun, Perlini, Fischer, and maybe a couple more recent prospects either on ELC’s or on bridge deals where they are producing above their pay grade. If it takes this team another 3-4 years just to make a run to the WCF I don’t think that’s mission accomplished or that Chayka and Toc would be at all satisfied with that.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Yeah maaaaybe...a lot of ifs there. The biggest one being IF we can find another goaltender like Raanta if he’s gone by then. I’m starting to think that the windows for championships are opening and closing much faster than we have been used to. You could make a strong argument that our window starts next year and goes for the next 2-3 years from there. We have to take advantage of OEL in his prime, the large number of ELC’s we have that could potentially play way above their contracts, and the last good years of Stepan, Hammer and Raanta’s careers. Raanta could have another 6-7 good years in him but for Step and Hammer it’s like 3-4 realistically.

We are seeing this now as an NFL model too. Draft a QB you really like and if you hit and he’s really good, you take advantage of that rookie contract where you’re paying him next to nothing and stack the team up around him. In the NHL it’s similar with young stars on ELC’s. Our window to win should be while OEL is still in his prime and while we have guys like Keller, Hayton, Chychrun, Perlini, Fischer, and maybe a couple more recent prospects either on ELC’s or on bridge deals where they are producing above their pay grade. If it takes this team another 3-4 years just to make a run to the WCF I don’t think that’s mission accomplished or that Chayka and Toc would be at all satisfied with that.
This isn't football. The NFL gets all their players ready to play on the big team. The NHL, like baseball, has to groom the vast majority of players. It takes 5 years to go from rock bottom to a sustained contender. . IMO the clock started ticking with Tocchet's first year.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This isn't football. The NFL gets all their players ready to play on the big team. The NHL, like baseball, has to groom the vast majority of players. It takes 5 years to go from rock bottom to a sustained contender. . IMO the clock started ticking with Tocchet's first year.
California team winning a ton and attracting top talent and making smart moves is sustainable even after the older crew retires. Especially since they keep stealing players for prices that don’t hurt. Tampa will probably be very good for a very long time for similar reasons plus the state tax situation. We could too, if we had an owner and if we made better decisions.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
worst part about that is their pick is going to Colorado. Terrible asset management. I would have held onto Karlsson until the trade deadline. They must realllllllly believe in Balcers and Norris. I have a feeling Karlsson stays in SJ

In fairness, they thought they were going to be getting an upgrade a center and still had what appeared to be a good core. Outside of a few contracts, at the time of the Turris trade I wouldn't have predicted a top 5 pick from that roster. Then Duchene failed to produce #1c numbers, things went down with Hoffman and Karlsson, and now they have Stone left as the lone threat on that team.

The moment the news broke on the Hoffman situation, everyone knew Dorian was going to get bent.

Bottom line, what should have been a mid range 1st at worst has turned into the Avs golden ticket due to some poor moves and unfortunate situations. I doubt most people saw this coming.

Edit: unless I'm misunderstanding and you're talking about the Karlsson deal. If that's the case, disregard haha.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Would you guys trade Jacob Chychrun and this years 1st for RFA William Nylander?

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Wonder if Toronto would.

No way. They're going to keep Nylander

Then sign Karlsson, Panarin and Skinner to contracts next offseason because everyone wants to play for the Leafs.

They'll all wear matching pajamas to training camp, outnumber fans in opposing buildings, scream "go leafs go" all year long.

Then get swept in the first round.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Would you guys trade Jacob Chychrun and this years 1st for RFA William Nylander?
No, but I also wouldn't make any moves until January so that we can evaluate a few pieces and see where we sit. If both Gally and Strome fail, we need a center. I also wouldn't move our first until we have an idea of how we will sit in the standings. If this turns into another top 10 pick, we will want to keep it.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
No way. They're going to keep Nylander

Then sign Karlsson, Panarin and Skinner to contracts next offseason because everyone wants to play for the Leafs.

They'll all wear matching pajamas to training camp, outnumber fans in opposing buildings, scream "go leafs go" all year long.

Then get swept in the first round.

They have to resign Nylander this year; Marner, Matthews, goalie and some D next year. Where would they find the room for even a Panarin add?

Rbenj

May 10, 2007
Surprise AZ
Toronto hands out Letters.
Matthews gets none.
Maybe, just maybe, there is something there we don’t know.
Maybe, just maybe, he comes back here when he’s an UFA.
...and I’m just saying there’s a chance

Reactions: Lilhoody

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Matthews gets none.

Everyone knows him and Babcock don't get along.

Leaf fans hold onto the belief that if it came down to an unfixable rift, Babcock would get fired before Matthews would be let go.

But even if the wonder scenario of Matthews signing an offer sheet and the Leafs accepting it doesn't happen, that rift might be enough to make him look towards free agency the first shot he gets, much like his new buddy Johnny did to the Islanders.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Until proven otherwise this team is still a lottery team. Trading the 1st is out of the question IMO.

Exactly. And given the wealth of center talent coming down the pike this upcoming draft, we'd be insane to trade that pick for any reason.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Matthews gets none.
I am a lifelong Leafs fan and have said for awhile now that something always seems off with the Matthews and Leafs combination?? It could just be Matthew's personality but it never looks like a good fit. I would have little surprise if his career in Toronto isn't long.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
California team winning a ton and attracting top talent and making smart moves is sustainable even after the older crew retires. Especially since they keep stealing players for prices that don’t hurt. Tampa will probably be very good for a very long time for similar reasons plus the state tax situation. We could too, if we had an owner and if we made better decisions.
Detroit sustained for a long time now they are in a recycle. Same for Hawks now. You overpay vets and sign UFA's to sustain a cup run team but it eventually catches you at a cap ceiling with underperforming vets/NMC/NTC contracts. It will catc San Jose/Anaheim/LA as well, they'll be in recycle mode next 3 years or so.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Yeah - every time I feel upset that we don't have a "real owner," I look at Carolina and Ottawa and think, "Be careful what you wish for, son."

Nothing wrong with the owner, except he isn't as rich as I would hope for... Now, I'm not as rich as I would hope for myself, so I can't be that mean about it, can I... :naughty:

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I am a lifelong Leafs fan and have said for awhile now that something always seems off with the Matthews and Leafs combination?? It could just be Matthew's personality but it never looks like a good fit. I would have little surprise if his career in Toronto isn't long.

Are you though? Literally all of your posts are on the Coyotes board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino