Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Just read a seemingly credible report that Mark Stone wants out of OTT. Really hope Chayka is working on this asap. Strome + Goligoski + Panik + 2019 1st rounder for Stone and Ceci? Not sure they would want to get rid of Ceci, who is a right shot by the way, but if there was a way to make that happen it would be huge. Don’t even care as much about Ceci but it would be nice to swap Golly for a younger right shot. Stone would be amazing with this group though
We're not giving up a first for a pending UFA, let alone add Strome.

Reactions: Lilhoody

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
Just read a seemingly credible report that Mark Stone wants out of OTT. Really hope Chayka is working on this asap. Strome + Goligoski + Panik + 2019 1st rounder for Stone and Ceci? Not sure they would want to get rid of Ceci, who is a right shot by the way, but if there was a way to make that happen it would be huge. Don’t even care as much about Ceci but it would be nice to swap Golly for a younger right shot. Stone would be amazing with this group though

I would do that if our 1st would be top-10 protected. No way i would trade potential lottery ticket.

And of course, Stone would need to sign extension. We aren't in situation where you wanna buy rentals

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Yeah if they know he’s going to leave for nothing we might not even have to give up Strome. Maybe Goligoski + Crouse + 1st rounder...I get the impression so far that Toc isn’t a big fan of the sheriff...or hasn’t been very impressed with him so far.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd rather make a deal for Duchene than Stone.

No interest in Ceci, however we're still looking to fix our left D/right D balance according to Chayka. Demers is the only natural RD, and hammer isn't going anywhere either.

OEL - Demers
Chicken - Hammer
Goligoski/KConn - ???

He's got a NMC but freeing up that Goose money could do a lot.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I'd rather make a deal for Duchene than Stone.

No interest in Ceci, however we're still looking to fix our left D/right D balance according to Chayka. Demers is the only natural RD, and hammer isn't going anywhere either.

OEL - Demers
Chicken - Hammer
Goligoski/KConn - ???

He's got a NMC but freeing up that Goose money could do a lot.

Really? Duchene over Stone even with our current center depth? I think Stone would be a perfect fit for Toc’s system. Right shot RW who is 6’4”...can win battles, compete hard and has a ton of skill to go with it. A line with him, Keller and Stepan would probably be one of the best lines in the league. Stone had three less points than Keller last year and played in 24 less games....

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Really? Duchene over Stone even with our current center depth? I think Stone would be a perfect fit for Toc’s system. Right shot RW who is 6’4”...can win battles, compete hard and has a ton of skill to go with it. A line with him, Keller and Stepan would probably be one of the best lines in the league. Stone had three less points than Keller last year and played in 24 less games....
Seriously?? Best lines in League??

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Seriously?? Best lines in League??

Yeah why not? Keller-Stepan-Panik was one of the top scoring lines in the league down the stretch over the last 15 games or so...you don’t think adding Stone, who you can pencil in for a minimum 60 points would be even better? If that line actually came into existence I would put money on Keller and Stone both hitting 70+ points

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Yeah why not? Keller-Stepan-Panik was one of the top scoring lines in the league down the stretch over the last 15 games or so...you don’t think adding Stone, who you can pencil in for a minimum 60 points would be even better? If that line actually came into existence I would put money on Keller and Stone both hitting 70+ points
So two low 60's point guys with a mid 50's point center from last year. That would not be in the top 10 of nhl lines, probably not in the top 20. Let's cool out jets a little, Stepan is a very average 1st line center and probably better cast as a good 2nd line center. We do ranking on the whole season, not just your best 25 games.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
If they know he wants out they are not going to let him get to UFA and get nothing for him...that would be senseless.
I'm not too concerned what the Sens get for Stone the rental. I just don't want the Coyotes to pay much for Stone the rental, especially not a package including Strome and a 1st.

Let's try to acquire Stone the UFA instead because that would be free.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Really? Duchene over Stone even with our current center depth?

I like Stone but I'd keep looking for answers at center until we have one. Dvorak is a 2C at best. Strome has one last shot to show what he's got. Hayton is a question mark at this point. Big fan of Stepan but I think Duchene is a notch better. They're both in that weird spot where they're better than a 2C but maybe not quite a 1C. In any event, imagine rolling Duchene, Stepan, Dvorak down the middle.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I'm not too concerned what the Sens get for Stone the rental. I just don't want the Coyotes to pay much for Stone the rental, especially not a package including Strome and a 1st.

Let's try to acquire Stone the UFA instead because that would be free.

Stone the UFA most likely will not exist. He will get traded and sign an extension somewhere. First of all, because OTT is rebuilding and will not lose him for nothing...and also because any acquiring team will want assurances that he is going to sign an extension with them before they give up anything significant. I guess pure trade deadline rentals do still happen but that seems to be a little more rare lately. Strome and a 1st is an overpayment for sure but I would overpay at least a little bit to get the jump on other teams and have the chance to sign this guy. He’s still only 26 years old and playing with Keller is a potential point per game player. 62 points in 58 games last year on a bad OTT team....

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wonder if we could swing Stone now (budget) or if he'd have to be more of a deadline thing (if we're in the race)?

We could re-sign him (7 mil?) once you bundle together a few of the dollars that will be freed up... Bolland (1.1), Panik (2.8), Smith retention (1.5), one of the extra forwards (1) ... that gets us close.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I find our situation at center to be highly suspect.

Stepan = solid number 2
Galchenyuk = winger until proven otherwise
Strome = not even an NHL player until proven otherwise
Dvorak = good player, what's his ceiling?
I don't know if Duchene is the guy but if we could play Stepan number 2 center and Dvorak number 3 we would be a very strong team. Our goalie, D, and wingers are already decent.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What does that Duchene extension look like? He's the top UFA C with Seguin off the market. I could see a team like SJ offering big $$ if JT retires. I mean they offered 13mil for Tavares so maybe they go 8 or 9 for Duchene.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
What does that Duchene extension look like? He's the top UFA C with Seguin off the market. I could see a team like SJ offering big $$ if JT retires. I mean they offered 13mil for Tavares so maybe they go 8 or 9 for Duchene.
I don't see Duchene getting much of a raise from current contract, somewhere between $6 and $7 million. Any more and a GM has messed up IMO.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Stepan = solid number 2
I see it as:

1C Stepan, low end but can hold down the forte
2C/3C I hope DVO/Strome/Galchenyuk, 2 of 3 can take these spots.
4c Richardson

DVO will be the 2C or 3C. It really boils down to Strome or Galchenyuk succeeding. This of course assumes no injuries which will happen.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

Stepan = solid number 2

And that's still more talent than we've every had at the position in AZ haha! I'm psyched about the potential there.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Better:
Roenick
Janney
Ronning
Corkum/Stapleton

Pretty close:
Langkow
Briere
Zues
Kolanos

Probably a couple other close ones.

Disagree. Roenick was the best we ever had but the guys behind him aren't in the same class imo. The other one maybe if Kolanos didn't get his brains scrambled. I'm talking 4 deep now and overall talent. We have a 24 year old 30 goal scorer, a consistent 50 point 2-way, a 22 year old 2-way with lots of growth potential and a 20 year old #3 overall pick that's dominated at ever level except the NHL.

Reactions: lanky and Sthlmyote

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
That's not bad. I don't have to park in the theater lot anymore. I always go to Kabuki before the games so I'd be spending the $10 anyway. I like this policy. Basically free again like it used to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->