Speculation: 2018 Off-season Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
SR, you have me really confused. Were you saying that Barraway is a good owner because he is hands off, or that he is a good owner in spite of being clueless?
SR is confused, Barroway is not hands off or clueless, and is well respected among his peers.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
SR is confused, Barroway is not hands off or clueless, and is well respected among his peers.
I have not heard or read anything stating AB is respected among his peers, but as far as on ice hockey operations go I think AB is hands off. He has Chayka doing that and that is the way it should be. Off ice I believe AB is very active in all aspects of the business. By saying that I mean he hires people to run different divisions of the team, but they all report back to him on a constant bases. Running a NHL franchise is a big business and you can not do it all your self and you must delicate, and AB is doing that with all his businesses or he wouldn't be successful. You look at him, hear him speak, he comes off as a complete goof as SR said, but look and listen to the Senators owner, or even the Oiler's owner and they come off the same way. I would love to follow one of these guys around for a year. What a great learning experience that would be.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
SR, you have me really confused. Were you saying that Barraway is a good owner because he is hands off, or that he is a good owner in spite of being clueless?

Sorry for the confusion. Without going into detail. Barroway isnt involved in the way of player development or what the teams needs are when it comes to acquisitions, as some others eluded to. And he shouldnt be, thats Chykas job.

He's a bag holder of an owner that had financing arranged for him because the league recognized the Canadian clowns were a liability and no potential partner would work with them.

This is correct.

I give up. You would certainly be surprised if thats truly what you think.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
This is horrible news. Horrible. You realize now that when we play SJ that one of Burns or Karlsson will be on the ice for almost literally the entire game. Soooo, yeah, that’s cool.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
This is horrible news. Horrible. You realize now that when we play SJ that one of Burns or Karlsson will be on the ice for almost literally the entire game. Soooo, yeah, that’s cool.

This is the kind of overpayment-trade Ottawa did the other way for Duchene? OK, Duchene is not Karlsson. Still, I can see it is Tierney, DeMelo, Norris, Balcers, 1st and 2nd. I have teflons for brains and haven't followed them good enough to remember them anyway, but Tierney was a 40-points player last season. DeMelo is decent? And Norris? I mean, isn't there a trophy named after him? ;-) Ok, drafted 19th in 2017, unless he is falling that should be a very good prospect.

And Balcers, the one I actually have noted. Fun player. There is video of him using the Norwegian national team as pylons in the World Championship recently on the net.

So I think Ottawa should be the most happy team here. Of course, if Karlsson is healthy, SJ will have a stronger season than last season. But still. Didn't excpect to beat them easily anyways, did we?

Edit: I can see the Sharks fans hated DeMelo. And are happy. Good for them...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mosby

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
This is the kind of overpayment-trade Ottawa did the other way for Duchene? OK, Duchene is not Karlsson. Still, I can see it is Tierney, DeMelo, Norris, Balcers, 1st and 2nd. I have teflons for brains and haven't followed them good enough to remember them anyway, but Tierney was a 40-points player last season. DeMelo is decent? And Norris? I mean, isn't there a trophy named after him? ;-) Ok, drafted 19th in 2017, unless he is falling that should be a very good prospect.

And Balcers, the one I actually have noted. Fun player. There is video of him using the Norwegian national team as pylons in the World Championship recently on the net.

So I think Ottawa should be the most happy team here. Of course, if Karlsson is healthy, SJ will have a stronger season than last season. But still. Didn't excpect to beat them easily anyways, did we?

Edit: I can see the Sharks fans hated DeMelo. And are happy. Good for them...

Replying to myself. It seems I forgot how bad Ottawa-trades are these days. For Ottawa that is. :laugh:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Can we just call it now for Ottawa??? :biglaugh:

giphy.gif

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Sorry for the confusion. Without going into detail. Barroway isnt involved in the way of player development or what the teams needs are when it comes to acquisitions, as some others eluded to. And he shouldnt be, thats Chykas job.

This is correct.

I give up. You would certainly be surprised if thats truly what you think.
Its what I know.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Can we just call it now for Ottawa??? :biglaugh:

giphy.gif

The only thing that can save this trade, is if Balcers gets the Calder.

Or Karlsson went back next year.

If both happens, it could be a win for them. But the comments around are just getting worse and worse the more I read.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
worst part about that is their pick is going to Colorado. Terrible asset management. I would have held onto Karlsson until the trade deadline. They must realllllllly believe in Balcers and Norris. I have a feeling Karlsson stays in SJ

They can't even have a little hope at a shot at #1 overall. This season is pure pain for them.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Are we still the most embarrassing team? Or is Ottawa now the most embarrassing team?

NYI and Carolina too.

Don't love Karlsson coming into the division but SJ was already better than us without EK. They're winning the division. We gotta take 3rd or a wildcard to make playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad