GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft (SJ Board Edition)

Do you want to have dedicated player discussion threads for each player drafted by the Sharks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Not up again until the 6th, and with just a pair of 6ths left I don't think we have the ammunition in this year's draft to get up into the rest of this round or the next one.

Farewell my Milos Roman dream... :cry:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The trade essentially is the two picks in this draft acquired from Florida for Hoffman.

Kind of a disappointing resolution to the 2018 draft impact of the Hoffman flip.
Disappointing but I don't know if it's something worth complaining about. later round picks and all that.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Disappointing but I don't know if it's something worth complaining about. later round picks and all that.

Late, but not super-late. if we were midway through the 5th round or beyond I'd totally not care. but I do kind of feel like this was a trade up for a guy who probably would've been there at 123 where the team was already sitting.

i always thought the real "prize" was the 2019 2nd.

yeah. I was specifically talking about hte picks they got that were for this draft.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sorry Nem, Roman went to the Flames.

Time to shift gears and hope the Sharks use one of their 6ths on Giants goalie David Tendeck. he looked quite good last season, stole some games until he got hurt. And I have a weakness for the rarity of a right-catching goalie.

Meanwhile there goes Langley Rivermen f and A+ name Angus Crookshank to Ottawa at 126.

Reactions: sharks_dynasty

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Tom Glavine was drafted in the NHL? I did not know that. I wonder what kind of Hockey career he would have had had he not been one of the best pitchers in Baseball during that era.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Tom Glavine was drafted in the NHL? I did not know that. I wonder what kind of Hockey career he would have had had he not been one of the best pitchers in Baseball during that era.

Yeah that's one of my favorite trivia bits. He's also jokingly said that he chose baseball over hockey because he wanted to "keep all of his teeth"

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
You know, the more distance we get from our picks, the more I'm OK with the draft so far.

Merkley was a big red flag and was on my personal no-draft list, but at least I'm happy DW went balls-out and for big skill instead of safe in the first round. Huge gamble, put pays off in spades if it works out. Karlsson seems like a "safer" pick, but that's fine in round 3. Weatherby is a surprising trade up, but Gambrell was an over-age pick too and maybe Weatherby has that sort of career arc in him. For both Karlsson and Weatherby at least htey appear to have some scoring pedigree rather than being a Mark Shoemaker type pick where there's basically nothing concrete in his favor except maybe combine measurables.

Mostly I'm just mock-bitter that I can't have the very specific players I want, and that jokingly focusing on getting a pet project player hasn't worked out for me since we picked Timo Pielmeier back in 2007

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
You know, the more distance we get from our picks, the more I'm OK with the draft so far.

Merkley was a big red flag and was on my personal no-draft list, but at least I'm happy DW went balls-out and for big skill instead of safe in the first round. Huge gamble, put pays off in spades if it works out. Karlsson seems like a "safer" pick, but that's fine in round 3. Weatherby is a surprising trade up, but Gambrell was an over-age pick too and maybe Weatherby has that sort of career arc in him.

Mostly I'm just mock-bitter that I can't have the very specific players I want, and that jokingly focusing on getting a pet project player hasn't worked out for me since we picked Timo Pielmeier back in 2007
We could definitely come out of this draft with no hits but they took some pretty decent gambles.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Why is Carolina getting Hamilton? They have Faulk and Slavin on the right. I guess they already have Pesce, Bean, and Fleury on the left but still Hanifin is their best LD while they have two solid options at RD already. Give us Faulk for Braun straight up!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We could definitely come out of this draft with no hits but they took some pretty decent gambles.

And in a way, I'm fine with that. Because the way most people complain about the Sharks' draft strategy, this is the kind of draft they actually want, whether they admit it or not.

Well, actually the draft they really want is "draft the specific players I like", but in terms of structure, trading around to pick high risk, high reward players is the general blueprint people want when they complain about hte safeness of Sharks drafts.

Except Karlsson. He seems pretty safe-y. But he's fine as a sort of offset of Merkley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad