GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft (SJ Board Edition)

Do you want to have dedicated player discussion threads for each player drafted by the Sharks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
SJDraft18.png

SOME "BEFORE WE START" HOUSEKEEPING:
1) Yeah, the thread is bare-bones. Not knowing how nu-HF will react to the heavy traffic, I erred on the side of not having a bunch of stuff that will bog the thread down or be disabled.

2) I have added a poll to ask if people want individual threads for each pick made. It's not something that's been tradition for this board, but if people want it we can go there. If we get to the draft and the vote is in favor, please DO NOT make the threads yourself. Allow a mod (maybe/probably me) to make the thread so that there's not a rush to be the first to do it

3) If trades occur, similarly allow the mods to make threads for those transactions rather than flooding the board with duplicates.

4) We are not going to be enacting a "spoilers" policy on posting knowledge (ie twitter/blog posts) indicating picks before they are made. It's not as big of an issue in the NHL draft as it is in, say, the NBA or NFL drafts. However, if you do post tweets or similar media for rumors, please make doubly/triply sure that they are legitimate and from verified, actual sources.

Round 1:
Friday, June 23, 4:30pm PT/7:30pm ET
Rounds 2-7: Saturdya, June 24, 8am PT/11am PT

Broadcasters: NBCSN (USA), Rogers Sportsnet (Canada)

The Sharks picks (click player name to be taken to their selection thread)

RdPickPlayerPosAmateur Team
121Ryan MerkleyDGuelph Storm/OHL
387^ Linus KarlssonC Karlskrona Jr /Swe Jr
4103^^Jasper WeatherbyCWenatchee Wild/BCHL
6176Zachary EmondGRouyn-Noranda Huskies/QMJHL
6182***John LeonardLWUniv. of Massachusetts/NCAA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
***Acquired from Nashville at the 2018 trade deadline in exchange for F Brandon Bollig and G Troy Grosenick

^Draft-day trade: Sharks trade Round 4, #114, and Round 5, #145 to Arizona for Rd 3, #87
^^ Draft-day trade: Sharks trade Round 4, #123 (previously acquired in the 2nd Mike Hoffman trade from Florida via Vegas) and Rd 5, #139 (also acquired from Florida for Mike Hoffman) to Montreal for Round 4, #103

LINKS AND INFO
Full Draft Order & Draft Tracker (TSN)

TSN DraftCentre Home
NHL.com Draft Home
Sportsnet Draft Home
EliteProspects Draft Info Hub
HockeyDB Home Page

MOCK DRAFTS
TSN (Sharks pick: Martin Kaut)
Rogers Sportsnet (Sharks Pick: K'Andre Miller)
NHL.com (3 side-by-side mocks: picks are Rasmus Sandin (x2) and K'Andre Miller)
HFBoards' Moderators Mock Draft (Sharks pick (Courtesy RangersSharks & Me): Vitaly Kravtsov
The Athletic/Corey Pronman (***PAYWALL***) (Sharks pick: Rasmus Sandin)

DRAFT PROSPECT RANKINGS

Other Articles
ESPN Predictions Around the Draft
NHL.com Team Needs - Pacific Division

*I will add more links if people have them, though I may not have time to get them in until the afternoon, close to draft start time*

Last edited:

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Will be interesting to see how busy DW is tomorrow. Maybe making a big move of a small one to pick up some more picks and shed some more capspace. He also mentioned taking more risks with our pick to get an impact player. Kinda screams Merkley too me, or he could be talking about taking someone who can come right in and contribute.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I would like to vote. But my opinion is just do the 1st 2 rounds of players for the individual draft selections.

So as of right now only the player who gets selected at 21s.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Is there any one in the 15 range that screams wilson type player?

Not too sure since to me there is a STEEP drop off after approximately 11th overall. To me, there’s Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina/Hughes/Boqvist/Dobson/Bouchard/Wahlstrom/Kotkaniemi/Smith/Tkachuk in no order. After that, there seems to be no consensus on who goes next and I will be mildly shocked if someone else goes in the top-10 outside of this group. Of the next tier, my faves are guys like Farabee, Kaut, Veleno, Merkley, Bokk, Kravtsov, Denisenko, and Kupari. After that, guys like Dellandrea (a bit of a pet prospect of mine), Wilde, Wise, Hayton, etc.

Dellandrea, Isac Lundstrom, Mattias Samuelsson seem like DW types. But according to DW they may take a “riskier” player. Not too sure what “riskier” means to him, but let’s wait and see. I’ll just say that outside the NTDP guys (whom I watch and follow closely every year, hence my immediate and warranted disgust of the Josh Norris pick), I haven’t followed this draft class all that closely.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Not too sure since to me there is a STEEP drop off after approximately 11th overall. To me, there’s Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina/Hughes/Boqvist/Dobson/Bouchard/Wahlstrom/Kotkaniemi/Smith/Tkachuk in no order. After that, there seems to be no consensus on who goes next and I will be mildly shocked if someone else goes in the top-10 outside of this group. Of the next tier, my faves are guys like Farabee, Kaut, Veleno, Merkley, Bokk, Kravtsov, Denisenko, and Kupari. After that, guys like Dellandrea (a bit of a pet prospect of mine), Wilde, Wise, Hayton, etc.

Dellandrea, Isac Lundstrom, Mattias Samuelsson seem like DW types. But according to DW they may take a “riskier” player. Not too sure what “riskier” means to him, but let’s wait and see. I’ll just say that outside the NTDP guys (whom I watch and follow closely every year, hence my immediate and warranted disgust of the Josh Norris pick), I haven’t followed this draft class all that closely.

So its a stay where you are draft or trade down it and get more later round picks. Or do the impossible and trade into the top 10 or 5.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So its a stay where you are draft or trade down it and get more later round picks. Or do the impossible and trade into the top 10 or 5.

I think that would be fair to say. I wouldn’t mind trading down unless someone from my top tiers falls.

I’ve had this strange feeling for months that we were gonna get Ty Smith. He came in at 13th overall on Mackenzie’s scout survey, so something major would have to happen for us to get him, but it’s just a weird feeling I have.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Kaut and Merkeley are both excellent choices if one or both are available at 21. Merkley fits more of an organizational need at the moment so I'd prefer him but I'd still be very happy with Kaut.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Like 20-50 are all fairly even. I'll accept just about anybody that's been ranked around there. Definitely not that into Noel though. The low shot rate really hurts him in my eyes and the way they say he can go invisible for long stretches is also bad.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I like one for each pick. There really aren't that many. But if we had to consolidate I like the idea to do one for the 1rst, one for the second and a third for the rest.

I would like to vote. But my opinion is just do the 1st 2 rounds of players for the individual draft selections.

So as of right now only the player who gets selected at 21s.

Ha ha ha, you know now that you intimated we WILL pick at 21 that we won't, right? :laugh:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Veleno has been falling recently in mock drafts. Obviously this is only mock drafts and I’d bet money on all of them being wrong, I would love it if we got him. One of my favorite players coming into the draft.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I'm good with moving up if the right guy starts dropping.
If not.
I'm in favor of trading down in the first to recoup a 2nd rounder
Detriot comes to mind

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
God, is it draft day again already? I'm still PO'd about Norris and definitely not ready to see what we do with 21.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
There's two things I do find annoying about this board, going thread crazy and going twitter crazy. I voted for just one thread for all the guys, even though maybe having a seperate thread for the first round guy since there might be more discussion on him. I saw that's a minority opinion though so what do I know.

Reactions: Sleestack

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I had considered having a consolidated thread for late rounders and an individual thread for each of the early rounders, but I didn't want the poll to have too many options (like where do we stop individual threads? 1st round only? 2nd round? 3rd?)

What I might do, since individual threads is the winning option right now, is after tomorrow if it appears that there's little traffic for individual late-round pick threads I'll combine the threads at that point to make for less post-draft clutter.

Reactions: Led Zappa

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think doing all prospects separate is good like if a late round prospect breaks out and becomes a hot topic but it's also easy enough just to make a thread about them further down the line

rideaucrusher21

Aug 8, 2008
CA
Guys I would be most happy with that have a realistic or semi-realistic chance of being available at 21: Kaut, Merkley, Sandin, Kravtsov, Lundestrom. Out of those guys, I would probably be most excited for Merkley. But I think all those players have decent shots at becoming top 6/top 4 players.

Can't wait for tonight.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Guys I would be most happy with that have a realistic or semi-realistic chance of being available at 21: Kaut, Merkley, Sandin, Kravtsov, Lundestrom. Out of those guys, I would probably be most excited for Merkley. But I think all those players have decent shots at becoming top 6/top 4 players.

Can't wait for tonight.
Switch Lundestrom for Bokk and I like that list. I don't think Kravtsov will be there though. He will probably go 10-15. I'd add Tychonick and Wise to that list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad