GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft (SJ Board Edition)

Do you want to have dedicated player discussion threads for each player drafted by the Sharks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I finally took a look at the final draft selections and the only thing I'm really mad about is that the Blackhawks got Jake Wise in the third round. For the love of god, how does that happen?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I finally took a look at the final draft selections and the only thing I'm really mad about is that the Blackhawks got Jake Wise in the third round. For the love of god, how does that happen?
The hockey gods can't keep Chicago or Detroit down for long or they get antsy up there on their frozen thrones.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The hockey gods can't keep Chicago or Detroit down for long or they get antsy up there on their frozen thrones.

Detroit seriously killed it in this draft. Drafted half of a future top-6 with Veleno, Zadina, Berggren. Add that to Larkin, Mantha, and Anathasiou and their forwards don't look awful. Their D is still terribad though.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Detroit seriously killed it in this draft. Drafted half of a future top-6 with Veleno, Zadina, Berggren. Add that to Larkin, Mantha, and Anathasiou and their forwards don't look awful. Their D is still terribad though.

Yeah, but I figure they will suck just long enough that all their terrible contracts will either expire or become tradeable, and in the meantime they stockpile on D. Still so mad we didn't nab Veleno, but that Karlsson kid is intriguing and we did draft the boomiest or bustiest player in Merkley.

Mar 1, 2002
Goldobin was a terrific pick at the time for the slot he was taken. Even with the benefit of hindsight, who taken after him in the 2014 draft would have been a better pick? Brayden Point is really the only one

Kempe, easily, he was my choice.
Dvorak easily
Mountour
Kamenev
Barbashev

More than a few more

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Kempe, easily, he was my choice.
Dvorak easily
Mountour
Kamenev
Barbashev

More than a few more

Man, those players have all accomplished so much more than Goldobin at the NHL level! Hard to pass on Kamenev's five games of NHL experience at age 22. Those guys usually pan out. Barbashev's complete inability to crack a Blues lineup without a single center is a promising sign too.

This is my point. Even with the benefit of four years of hindsight, the only clearly better options than Goldobin look like Brayden Point and Viktor Arvidsson, a third and fourth rounder respectively who were never remotely in consideration to be taken with a late first rounder by any team. Compare that to Mirco Mueller where Anthony Mantha, Shea Theodore and Andre Burakovsky taken within eight picks of him are infinitely more valuable players. Goldobin was a fine pick.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2002
Man, those players have all accomplished so much more than Goldobin at the NHL level! Hard to pass on Kamenev's five games of NHL experience at age 22. Those guys usually pan out. Barbashev's complete inability to crack a Blues lineup without a single center is a promising sign too.

Goldy can't yet become a regular on the 6th lowest scoring team in the league.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Goldy can't yet become a regular on the 6th lowest scoring team in the league.

Except he has become a regular on the team, playing in almost every game of the second half of last season and scoring highlight reel goals against Norris Trophy winners. He also dominated the AHL as a 20 year old to an extent Kamenev, Barbashev and Kempe have never been able to even as older players. He's clearly a better player than the two other Russians and it's at least arguable when it comes to Goldobin vs. Kempe vs. Dvorak at this point. It's not at all arguable that they should have chosen someone else when it comes to so many other recent Sharks first round picks.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Ed Willes: Canucks compile enough draft talent to be optimistic about the future

Top to bottom and over the full span of the last 20 years, we’d submit the NHL’s two best drafting teams have been the San Jose Sharks and Nashville Predators. Both organizations have found productive players all over the draft. Both have been competitive on a year-in, year-out basis, although it took the Preds five seasons to make the playoffs after entering the league in ’98. Neither team has suffered prolonged dry spells that set back the team’s development.
If NHL history has taught us anything, it’s taught us assembling a championship team isn’t the product of drafting consistently well, but rather putting together an elite core group over a handful of drafts.

Kudos from Vancouver pundit. Maybe?

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
Cool, I was asking about this video in the sharks news thread (Couldn't watch it @ work). Sounds like its worth watching when I get home.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Nepotism aside, DW Jr came across very intelligent and I was impressed. No idea how big of a voice he has in the room but if he can help change the draft philosophy a bit or even nudge us toward taking more risks on guys like Merkley I'm all for it.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think the most interesting tidbit was the “in the fourth round and beyond, assume all guys have the same risk and just draft for upside” sort of comment. I wonder if that contributes to the Sharks’ miserable third round drafting record?

Good stuff though. I’m curious which ten players the Sharks thought had more talent than Merkley.

Reactions: NiWa

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Very impressed with DW Jr. in that video. If he's being groomed to take over for his dad someday I wouldn't be disappointed.

Doesn't seem like the scouts were even listening to what he had to say but he obviously has Doug's ear.

Reactions: NiWa

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I think the most interesting tidbit was the “in the fourth round and beyond, assume all guys have the same risk and just draft for upside” sort of comment. I wonder if that contributes to the Sharks’ miserable third round drafting record?

Good stuff though. I’m curious which ten players the Sharks thought had more talent than Merkley.
I bet if you guessed you’d probably be pretty close.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I bet if you guessed you’d probably be pretty close.

I wouldn’t be so sure. The only two who I feel 100% confident about are Dahlin and Svechnikov. Remember, this is the team that drafted Meier over a bunch of guys more talented by consensus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->