GDT: 2018 NHL Entry Draft (SJ Board Edition)

Do you want to have dedicated player discussion threads for each player drafted by the Sharks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Very impressed with DW Jr. in that video. If he's being groomed to take over for his dad someday I wouldn't be disappointed.

Doesn't seem like the scouts were even listening to what he had to say but he obviously has Doug's ear.

Yeah, just reading way too far into things, it did seem like the scouts had a bit of an issue with the power/authority dynamic.

I wouldn’t be so sure. The only two who I feel 100% confident about are Dahlin and Svechnikov. Remember, this is the team that drafted Meier over a bunch of guys more talented by consensus.

Just watching DWJR here, I’m thinking there’s been a bit of a shift in organizational philosophy and how they rank players. My guess is that they wouldn’t be ranking Meier so high if they went into that draft with today’s philosophy.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Yeah, just reading way too far into things, it did seem like the scouts had a bit of an issue with the power/authority dynamic.

Just watching DWJR here, I’m thinking there’s been a bit of a shift in organizational philosophy and how they rank players. My guess is that they wouldn’t be ranking Meier so high if they went into that draft with today’s philosophy.
I'm pretty sure they just have neutral old man faces.

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
It all seemed a bit setup. I don’t feel like DWJR needed to layout their philosophy in the meeting right before the draft. I’m pretty sure they’ve known it for a very long time.

Agreed. Seemed like purpose of video was to pump tires of both Merkley and DWJR.

Last edited:

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Agrees. Seemed like purpose of video was to pump tires of both Merkely and DWJR.

Maybe, though publicly stating that they believe Merkley had the 11th highest upside in the draft when plenty of pundits had him top-5 upside-wise isn't exactly pumping his tires. If anything, I thought it was surprisingly low, and I was shocked they publicized a detail like that.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
It all seemed a bit setup. I don’t feel like DWJR needed to layout their philosophy in the meeting right before the draft. I’m pretty sure they’ve known it for a very long time.
I kinda doubt it was a media spot. It's possible but there's a lot of it that would make sense in a prep meeting. DWJR reaffirms the draft philosophy at the start of the meeting and statistics, then they cut to the part of the meeting where they talk Merkley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad