Speculation: 2018-2019 Transaction Discussions & Speculation

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Zuc has always been dynamic, sign me up.

Lock the hobbit up for five years please.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Since the TD is over, going to make this more of an all-purpose transaction (call-ups, signings, etc.) thread. Should last us until just before the draft, when action will pick up again.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
If Gury can be consistent from here on out and stay in our top 9, good things will happen.

Alright someone else say something positive.

Reactions: Kcb12345

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think Gurianov should stay up the whole year and in the lineup for until Zuccarello and Pitlick come back over Ritchie and Nichuskin. Defense is set . Its not great beyond #3 but i guess the best you could do with a patchworkjob after you lost 2 top guys for the full year.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Shapiro said the Stars most actively pursued Johansson and Brassard on Monday but couldn't get a deal done because they didn't have the picks necessary to make the move.

So yes, trading for Lovejoy is the reason we did not end up with Brassard.

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I feel like a 4th would be better than a 3rd - 6th.

Maybe FLA disagreed. I suspect moreso that Nill didn't want to move another pick in the next draft or two.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Shapiro said the Stars most actively pursued Johansson and Brassard on Monday but couldn't get a deal done because they didn't have the picks necessary to make the move.

Yea it sucks , but I’m sure if nill new we would be down a top 6 forward he wouldn’t have traded that pick for Lovejoy .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Shapiro also said that back in January the Stars offered Mattias Janmark to the Capitals for Burakovsky, but the Caps declined.

Stars got several calls about Janmark after that but never pulled the trigger on anything.

He also reports that Joseph Cecconi will be testing free agency but the Stars will try and change his mind (unlikely)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I feel like a 4th would be better than a 3rd - 6th.

Maybe FLA disagreed. I suspect moreso that Nill didn't want to move another pick in the next draft or two.

Florida gave up Brassard + a conditional 6th for Colorado's 3rd though I thought. If Colorado signs Brassard, then Florida keeps the 6th

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Brassard isn't exactly great and the team did need a defenseman. Not like when that Lovejoy deal was made you could expect Zuccarello to get hurt right away. We of course could've gotten Gudbranson for Nichuskin or something if that was more to your liking but the team needed someone and i prefer that defenseman not be to completely awful.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Can't believe Burakovsky for Janmark was actually a real deal that was offered. It's too bad the Caps turned it down but I would have to if I were them

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Brassard isn't exactly great and the team did need a defenseman. Not like when that Lovejoy deal was made you could expect Zuccarello to get hurt right away. We of course could've gotten Gudbranson for Nichuskin or something if that was more to your liking but the team needed someone and i prefer that defenseman not be to completely awful.

Probably would have made do with Zuccarello and having either Faksa or Hintz center him, which clearly was working.

I'd rather have Nuke that Gudbranson 100% of the time right now, and Pittsburgh probably only wanted him as Rutherford has a hard on for ruining Wilson's life.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Probably would have made do with Zuccarello and having either Faksa or Hintz center him, which clearly was working.

I'd rather have Nuke that Gudbranson 100% of the time right now, and Pittsburgh probably only wanted him as Rutherford has a hard on for ruining Wilson's life.

I rather have Hanzal than Gudbranson. At least Hanzal expires next year and since he's probably not coming back to play doesn't make your team worse. Gudbranson is at this point purely an enforcer who does nothing else well but hit people. Rutherford should've just hired a martial artist to learn to fight on skates on something for a few months if you wanted a fighter and not trade for the worst defenseman in the league because he once won a fight with Tom Wilson.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I rather have Hanzal than Gudbranson. At least Hanzal expires next year and since he's probably not coming back to play doesn't make your team worse. Gudbranson is at this point purely an enforcer who does nothing else well but hit people. Rutherford should've just hired a martial artist to learn to fight on skates on something for a few months if you wanted a fighter and not trade for the worst defenseman in the league because he once won a fight with Tom Wilson.

Can Mike Tyson skate? Maybe he could fight Tom Wilson.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I'm curious to see how Hayes will look with WPG, he seems like the type of player Nill would go after in free agency if he's still the gm this summer.

Hintz-Seguin-Radulov
Benn-Hayes-Gurianov
Robertson-Faksa-Pitlick
Janmark-Dickinson-Comeau

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm curious to see how Hayes will look with WPG, he seems like the type of player Nill would go after in free agency if he's still the gm this summer.

Hintz-Seguin-Radulov
Benn-Hayes-Gurianov
Robertson-Faksa-Pitlick
Janmark-Dickinson-Comeau

Even better:

Zuccarello-Seguin-Radulov
Benn-Hayes-Hintz
Gurianov-Faksa-Donskoi
Cogliano-Dickinson-Comeau/Pitlick

Call-ups: L'Esperance, Robertson

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Myers
Oleksiak-Johns
Polak/Fedun/Bayreuther

Bishop
Khudobin

Trade Janmark and Honka, sign Donskoi to a 3 year, $2.7m AAV deal, sign Zucc for 4-5 years at $5.5m per, and Hayes at 5 years for $6.25m. Dickinson signs for 2 years at $2m AAV. Sign Tyler Myers for 3 years at $4.5m, and Lindell for 5 years at $4.75m each. Re-sign Polak or Fedun for 1 year at $1.5m if we wanna keep around a 7th dman or in case Johns can't play.

Buyout Val and let Ritchie go. Martin Hanzal to LTIR.

I messed around with armchair GM a lot last night and this all worked out cap-wise. Donskoi was the only 3rd liner free agent that I really had interest in. Connolly was another option. I don't think Robertson will be ready. This plan also works if we were to sign Duchene for 6-7 years at $8.25m AAV I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dallasman

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sign Duchene (7 years x 9.5M+)

giphy.gif

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Even better:

Benn-Hayes-Hintz
Gurianov-Faksa-Donskoi

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Myers
Oleksiak-Johns
Polak/Fedun/Bayreuther

Bishop
Khudobin

Trade Janmark and Honka, sign Donskoi to a 3 year, $2.7m AAV deal, sign Zucc for 4-5 years at $5.5m per, and Hayes at 5 years for $6.25m. Dickinson signs for 2 years at $2m AAV. Sign Tyler Myers for 3 years at $4.5m, and Lindell for 5 years at $4.75m each. Re-sign Polak or Fedun for 1 year at $1.5m if we wanna keep around a 7th dman or in case Johns can't play.

I messed around with armchair GM a lot last night and this all worked out cap-wise. Donskoi was the only 3rd liner free agent that I really had interest in. Connolly was another option. I don't think Robertson will be ready. This plan also works if we were to sign Duchene for 6-7 years at $8.25m AAV I believe.

I could definitely see Stars going after Myers/Gardiner as well as re-signing Polak if he doens't want to retire.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Even better:

Benn-Hayes-Hintz
Gurianov-Faksa-Donskoi

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Myers
Oleksiak-Johns
Polak/Fedun/Bayreuther

Bishop
Khudobin

I like this. I'm a big fan of Richard Panik too, I think he'd be a great 3rd liner. Hagelin is interesting too, but might cost too much if he wants anything close to his current contract.

I'd be hesitant to put Johns in, though, until we get some positive news (if ever).

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Even better:

Benn-Hayes-Hintz
Gurianov-Faksa-Donskoi

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Myers
Oleksiak-Johns
Polak/Fedun/Bayreuther

Bishop
Khudobin

I like this line-up.

Keep Robertson in the AHL for the whole year, unless he is absolutely tearing it up down there.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Shapiro also said this in the same column:

Julius Honka’s continued presence in Dallas is somewhat surprising. If you want an idea of where he stands in the Stars’ minds, think about Jim Montgomery’s comments when the Stars acquired Lovejoy. Montgomery was discussing how the Stars now had options with Fedun being scratched, saying he now had seven defenders he could use, before quickly correcting himself to say eight.Hockey coaches generally don’t like Honka. His three NHL coaches have failed to trust him and I’ve been told even in the WHL and AHL, there were coaches who didn’t like his game. Honka could have really won a job with this coaching staff; Montgomery and Co. were hoping he would seize an opportunity when John Klingberg was injured, but he failed to do enough for them and he was essentially banished to the role of a practice player.

Only interesting part to me was how many coaches back to his WHL days didn't like his game. What made Nill draft him at 14 with such question marks? That said, took a quick look at his old prospect rankings and didn't see a red flag. Ranked 11th NA skater, so picking 14th was about right.

As to Roberston, I am still in the "he's too slow for the NHL camp" and wouldn't get my hopes up that he will be our first home grown scorer in a while.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Shapiro also said this in the same column:

Julius Honka’s continued presence in Dallas is somewhat surprising. If you want an idea of where he stands in the Stars’ minds, think about Jim Montgomery’s comments when the Stars acquired Lovejoy. Montgomery was discussing how the Stars now had options with Fedun being scratched, saying he now had seven defenders he could use, before quickly correcting himself to say eight.Hockey coaches generally don’t like Honka. His three NHL coaches have failed to trust him and I’ve been told even in the WHL and AHL, there were coaches who didn’t like his game. Honka could have really won a job with this coaching staff; Montgomery and Co. were hoping he would seize an opportunity when John Klingberg was injured, but he failed to do enough for them and he was essentially banished to the role of a practice player.

Only interesting part to me was how many coaches back to his WHL days didn't like his game. What made Nill draft him at 14 with such question marks? That said, took a quick look at his old prospect rankings and didn't see a red flag. Ranked 11th NA skater, so picking 14th was about right.

As to Roberston, I am still in the "he's too slow for the NHL camp" and wouldn't get my hopes up that he will be our first home grown scorer in a while.

Robertson's ability to think quickly is what could make him a successful NHL player. He's an excellent goal scorer, but honestly he's just as good, if not better, at being a playmaker. His offensive vision and IQ is insane but his lack of a good skating ability makes him have to be pretty creative with his plays. At the World Juniors I was afraid he wouldn't be able to keep up, and yet he was voted as one of the MVP's of Team USA in the end and was just so good at opening up space and finding teammates.

His ability to process the game at this level (if he can) will determine how his career goes imo, not so much his skating. He will likely improve his skating too as time goes on (and he has shown some improvement there for sure). Something that will really suck is if they base his chances of being called up entirely on his skating. If the guy is tearing it up at the AHL level they better give him a shot

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad