Speculation: 2018-2019 Transaction Discussions & Speculation

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I don’t think they need to fire nill . They need to find someone like Toronto’s Dubas to come in and slowly take over through the next few years . Nill drafted terrible his first few drafts but I think his last 2 drafts have been good . His trading has been pretty good , and he’s been good at negotiating . I know Il get shit on for saying it but I think he has had a lot of shit luck when it comes to not only injuries but players underperforming during his time in dallas so far .

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I don’t think they need to fire nill . They need to find someone like Toronto’s Dubas to come in and slowly take over through the next few years . Nill drafted terrible his first few drafts but I think his last 2 drafts have been good . His trading has been pretty good , and he’s been good at negotiating . I know Il get **** on for saying it but I think he has had a lot of **** luck when it comes to not only injuries but players underperforming during his time in dallas so far .
He has Robertson and Heiskanen to show for his last two drafts, what exactly has been better about it?
The part where they wasted a 1st round pick on a goalie?
Where they passed on better players to take another Character Guy at 13?

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I can't believe he's worried about wasting assets yet he has spent 4 draft picks on bottom pairing/7th dmen this season. Not to mention all of the first round picks he has wasted

And yet when I mention those acquisitions as a serious waste of time and resources, people here have tried to justify it in some manner or the other.

Acquiring Oleksiak and Lovejoy have had and will have zero effect on this team's fortunes this season and beyond.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
And yet when I mention those acquisitions as a serious waste of time and resources, people here have tried to justify it in some manner or the other.

Acquiring Oleksiak and Lovejoy have had and will have zero effect on this team's fortunes
Yep, 100% with you

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
He has Robertson and Heiskanen to show for his last two drafts, what exactly has been better about it?
The part where they wasted a 1st round pick on a goalie?
Where they passed on better players to take another Character Guy at 13?
First off, oettenger , I am glad we have . He’s a really good prospect and if we didn’t pick him there someone else would have .Robertson , damiani , eriksson , dellandrea , are all solid prospects who could become top 6 forwards .

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
First off, oettenger , I am glad we have . He’s a really good prospect and if we didn’t pick him there someone else would have .Robertson , damiani , eriksson , dellandrea , are all solid prospects who could become top 6 forwards .
Robertson yes, the rest, not likely. Especially the latter two
Let another team waste 1st round picks on the goalie, we could have gotten another actually top 6 forward potential player instead (Tolvanen)
Goalie are inexpensive adds and routinely garbage looking goalies become good, and good looking goalies become garbage, never mind the curve for them to amount to anything
9 years it took Campbell to look NHL quaility, 8yrs for Bennington.
i'd rather have an asset who will likely be good and contribute to the team sometime this decade, or could hold value in a trade to address team issues but that is me

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
A big part of the problem with this team is ownership IMO . They’ve never wanted to tank and rebuild . Always wanting to spend money in free agency and be a mediocre team with a mediocre draft postition . We need more heiskanens , Mathews and Petterssons .

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
A big part of the problem with this team is ownership IMO . They’ve never wanted to tank and rebuild . Always wanting to spend money in free agency and be a mediocre team with a mediocre draft postition . We need more heiskanens , Mathews and Petterssons .
We had draft position significant enough to add 1st line players, if our Director of Scouting had a clue how to do his job and didn't just get it because he's buddies with the GM.
We passed on Barzal, who would be our #2 center right now, for a guy who still can't even stick in the NHL
And passed on Larkin for Honka, which to this day, boggles the mind, not as bad as gury incident but still

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
We had draft position significant enough to add 1st line players, if our Director of Scouting had a clue how to do his job and didn't just get it because he's buddies with the GM.
We passed on Barzal, who would be our #2 center right now, for a guy who still can't even stick in the NHL
And passed on Larkin for Honka, which to this day, boggles the mind, not as bad as gury incident but still
Yes we could have gotten better players but that’s if we drafted perfect . If you look at all the best teams , most of best forwards were drafted in the top 5 picks . No brainer picks if you will. Sure there are steals every draft but there are plenty of teams that pass on the same guys too . As much as people like to think they knew Barzal was the right pick there he was by no means a no brainer . Some guys just take off after the draft and it’s always gonna happen .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
All the best teams in the league were once at the bottom for a couple years at least .

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Yes we could have gotten better players but that’s if we drafted perfect . If you look at all the best teams , most of best forwards were drafted in the top 5 picks . No brainer picks if you will. Sure there are steals every draft but there are plenty of teams that pass on the same guys too . As much as people like to think they knew Barzal was the right pick there he was by no means a no brainer . Some guys just take off after the draft and it’s always gonna happen .
Barzal was as close to a no brainer as you could get and he wasn't the consensus pick because Connor was there too, our team does there "we're smarter than everyone" and went Way way way way off board

Also remind me when was the last time the Sharks were at the bottom

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

serp

Jan 17, 2016
All the best teams in the league were once at the bottom for a couple years at least .

Honestly this isn't really true anymore. None of the contending teams really tanked for more than one year.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Barzal was as close to a no brainer as you could get and he wasn't the consensus pick because Connor was there too, our team does there "we're smarter than everyone" and went Way way way way off board

Also remind me when was the last time the Sharks were at the bottom
Doesn’t matter I said that wasn’t a good draft for him anyways . The sharks are one of the few exceptions , I didn’t say that every good team has tanked . Even the sharks have had a few top 10 picks though .

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Honestly this isn't really true anymore. None of the contending teams really tanked for more than one year.
If they only tanked for one year like Toronto did , they stocked up on tons of picks and prospects that one year . We’ve never done that . Tampa , Winnipeg , Toronto , Nashville , Calgary have all went through the rebuild and it’s paying off now . You need to get the top end players in the draft .

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Doesn’t matter I said that wasn’t a good draft for him anyways . The sharks are one of the few exceptions , I didn’t say that every good team has tanked . Even the sharks have had a few top 10 picks though .

You said all the best teams have tanked for a couple of years at least. Backpedaling so soon?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
If they only tanked for one year like Toronto did , they stocked up on tons of picks and prospects that one year . We’ve never done that . Tampa , Winnipeg , Toronto , Nashville , Calgary have all went through the rebuild and it’s paying off now . You need to get the top end players in the draft .

Well sort of with the 2017 draft . The team didn't bottom out but they got a high pick and in general had quite a few pretty good picks imho. Tanking is just not a valid strategy anymore since they changed the lottery system. You play out the year and see what happens.

I liked last years draft too by the way. 2013-2016 not so much.

Reactions: Kcb12345 and Bfantz

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Everyone got better today except the Stars

No Penguins got worse by design. Aquired maybe the worst defenseman in the league on a horribly contract to pair him wih Jack Johnson who is almost as bad. Should've gotten Cody Ceci too to really tank the team.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
You said all the best teams have tanked for a couple of years at least. Backpedaling so soon?
I meant In general. It’s all your opinion on who’s the best team anyways . Dallas was first in the West 3 years ago but by no means were we the best team . Should we base our success off what it is compared to one team ?

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I meant In general. It’s all your opinion on who’s the best team anyways . Dallas was first in the West 3 years ago but by no means were we the best team . Should we base our success off what it is compared to one team ?

You're kind of all over the place with your backpedaling, mate. Focus. It's not hard to define which teams are the best.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
So Tampa bay , Toronto , Winnipeg , Nashville , Calgary have all done a full rebuild but because San Jose is good we were right not to rebuild ?

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Might as well lock this thread cause our GM sucks and did nothing

Do you really think he would be able to find another player of Zuccarello's caliber? No.
I'd say the players already on the team are better than anyone he could pick up in a hurry.

Zucc's injury isn't Nill's fault, just really bad luck for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad