Speculation: 2018-2019 Transaction Discussions & Speculation

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
The best teams in the league are Tampa bay , Toronto and Winnipeg IMO .

I'd also include Sharks, Preds, Caps, Pens (they may be having a down year this year, but hard to count them out till they're out), Bruins, and VGK.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Do you really think he would be able to find another player of Zuccarello's caliber? No.
I'd say the players already on the team are better than anyone he could pick up in a hurry.

Zucc's injury isn't Nill's fault, just really bad luck for the team.

Do you think this is just about today or the last few days? He f***ing failed to open his eyes, as early as the off-season, to the fact that his prospects (Hintz, Gurianov, and even Heiskanen) were not ready or couldn't singlehandedly change this team's fortunes this season unless he brought in legitimate secondary scoring and those whom he brought in- Comeau and Nichushkin- simply didn't have that skill. Absolute waste of money. And then he proceeded to waste some more time during the season just sitting and hoping things would change when time and again it was obvious the team lacked offense. Then there was the "f***ing horseshit" episode and suddenly he felt the team needed "character" and wasted more money and cap-space on Cogliano, and then Oleksiak and then Lovejoy...before some magical being conjured by our frustrations had just enough energy to knee him in the groin to do the Zuccarello trade, which didn't end all that well, as we all know.

The fact that Zuccarello went down is not on him. The fact that he wasted motherf***ing time over the past season and a half is on him.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
No Penguins got worse by design. Aquired maybe the worst defenseman in the league on a horribly contract to pair him wih Jack Johnson who is almost as bad. Should've gotten Cody Ceci too to really tank the team.
They’re not going to make the playoffs anyways who cares about them

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I'd also include Sharks, Preds, Caps, Pens (they may be having a down year this year, but hard to count them out till they're out), Bruins, and VGK.
Those are all good teams but you named like half the league there . The league is really tight right now and from a roster standpoint I feel Toronto , winnepeg and Tampa bay have separated themselves a little bit . Il give credit to Tampa though they have drafted well theoughout the rounds .

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Those are all good teams but you named like half the league there . The league is really tight right now and from a roster standpoint I feel Toronto , winnepeg and Tampa bay have separated themselves a little bit . Il give credit to Tampa though they have drafted well theoughout the rounds .

9 out of 31 teams is half the league? It's not even 1/3rd, mate.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
No, they don't, because Wilson already tooled Oleksiak. Gudbranson can go toe to toe with that monster.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Without Lovejoy, I'm gonna guess that the Stars would have given up two powerplay goals to Chicago and lost 5-4.

He had a rough game overall but he was excellent on that 4 minute PK so I agree with you. He had a goal saving play in the crease when he beat 2 Hawks to a loose puck and dove to clear it

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Without Lovejoy, I'm gonna guess that the Stars would have given up two powerplay goals to Chicago and lost 5-4.

This is interesting. Many would agree with this.

Lovejoy is 2nd in the NHL in shorthanded time on ice per game, behind former teammate Andy Greene. His corsi/shot against numbers on the PK are really good.

~When shorthanded, min. TOI: 100, n=166~
CA/60 - Top 20
FA/60 - Top 10
SA/60 - Top 5
SCA/60 - Top 25
HDA/60 - Top 25
GA/60 - Top 15
xGA/60 - RIP Corsica

These results probably have more Andy Greene or NJD systems written over them than they have Lovejoy. but he was a piece of the puzzle. I don't think I've seen a Devils game since Christmas, so I can't really comment on systems.

{FYI: Polak, Lindell, Faksa all have very bad numbers when shorthanded. Makes me think}

Reactions: LatvianTwist

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
The Devils have the 3rd best PK% while the Stars sit at 8. I honestly thought the Stars would be near the bottom of the list for PK% after looking at the shot against stats.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m okay with Nill not making any moves. There was no way we were going to catch up with Vegas, San Jose, Nashille, Calgary, or Winnipeg. I hope we make the post season and use this last bit as a measuring stick to see who stays and who goes.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I’m okay with Nill not making any moves. There was no way we were going to catch up with Vegas, San Jose, Nashille, Calgary, or Winnipeg. I hope we make the post season and use this last bit as a measuring stick to see who stays and who goes.
before or after today?

the west was wide open before today imo

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Shots against isn't descriptive enough, since every team likes throwing pucks into the netfront to take advantage of our lack of decent presence there.

I wish I could see Lovejoy's penalty differential, but I think he'll be better than Polak there, too. The team desperately needed some Dman who could PK beyond what Lindell could shoulder himself when Polak was in the box.

I'll agree that NJD's system is probably far more conservative than ours, but historically, Lovejoy PKs a ton and is pretty good at it. He blocks a lot of shots, too.

So, while we could really use a better two way top 4 guy who can PK and play with Miro, Lovejoy will at least offset the fact that Klingberg shouldn't PK, and Miro's hit the rookie wall. But alas, there isn't that guy out there. There's not a lot of Ryan Suters available at any given time.

I would not have liked to have given up a 3rd for him, but I would guess that the value between a 4th and a 3rd was enough for the Devils to take Carrick away.

I think we should all be a little... disappointed in what happened to Z U C C, but we'll have to see what he does when he gets back.

But quite frankly, Nill's in a tough spot with the assets he has. He can definitely be blamed for not filling enough gaps in the time he's had, but a lot of that still rides on GMJN1.0's failure to draft anything worthwhile in the period when the Stars were... blah.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Shots against isn't descriptive enough, since every team likes throwing pucks into the netfront to take advantage of our lack of decent presence there.

I wish I could see Lovejoy's penalty differential, but I think he'll be better than Polak there, too. The team desperately needed some Dman who could PK beyond what Lindell could shoulder himself when Polak was in the box.

I'll agree that NJD's system is probably far more conservative than ours, but historically, Lovejoy PKs a ton and is pretty good at it. He blocks a lot of shots, too.

So, while we could really use a better two way top 4 guy who can PK and play with Miro, Lovejoy will at least offset the fact that Klingberg shouldn't PK, and Miro's hit the rookie wall. But alas, there isn't that guy out there. There's not a lot of Ryan Suters available at any given time.

I would not have liked to have given up a 3rd for him, but I would guess that the value between a 4th and a 3rd was enough for the Devils to take Carrick away.

I think we should all be a little... disappointed in what happened to Z U C C, but we'll have to see what he does when he gets back.

But quite frankly, Nill's in a tough spot with the assets he has. He can definitely be blamed for not filling enough gaps in the time he's had, but a lot of that still rides on GMJN1.0's failure to draft anything worthwhile in the period when the Stars were... blah.
What??
Nills Failure at this point are his own, Newys drafting and Asset acquisition gave Nill the assets needed to acquire Seguin, Spezza, Demers, Cogliano, Sharp, Johns, Janmark, you can even credit Point to Newy (in a roundabout way), because if not for trading Goligoskis rights to Arizona, we wouldn't have gotten the 5th that turned into Point. And we wouldn't have had Goligoski without him trading Niskanen and Neal.

Newy didn't set up Nill for tons of success with his drafting (blowing both the 09 and 10 drafts completely and with hindsight maybe Taking Teuvo or Hertl in 12, and Miller in 11 ), he had his share of misses. But he drafted more impact players for this team in 4 years than Nill has in 6. We're talking getting a "core" player a year with Newy running things to 1 in 6 years with Nill

Klingberg, Lindell, Faksa, just for us alone, with (R.smith being the 4th). Compared to Heiskanen for Nill.
Then you have Chiasson, Oleksiak, Nemeth, and Shore who've all gone on to have success at the Nhl, again compared again to only Heiskanen for Nill.

It's taken him 6yrs and his only core piece was because we got a lucky lotto win. How you can legitimately blame Newy, hampered by Bankruptcy and NHL ownership for all but like 6months of his Tenure, for Nills continued failures half a decade later is mind-boggling.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
What??
Nills Failure at this point are his own, Newys drafting and Asset acquisition gave Nill the assets needed to acquire Seguin, Spezza, Demers, Cogliano, Sharp, Johns, Janmark, you can even credit Point to Newy (in a roundabout way), because if not for trading Goligoskis rights to Arizona, we wouldn't have gotten the 5th that turned into Point. And we wouldn't have had Goligoski without him trading Niskanen and Neal.

Newy didn't set up Nill for tons of success with his drafting (blowing both the 09 and 10 drafts completely and with hindsight maybe Taking Teuvo or Hertl in 12, and Miller in 11 ), he had his share of misses. But he drafted more impact players for this team in 4 years than Nill has in 6. We're talking getting a "core" player a year with Newy running things to 1 in 6 years with Nill

Klingberg, Lindell, Faksa, just for us alone, with (R.smith being the 4th). Compared to Heiskanen for Nill.
Then you have Chiasson, Oleksiak, Nemeth, and Shore who've all gone on to have success at the Nhl, again compared again to only Heiskanen for Nill.

It's taken him 6yrs and his only core piece was because we got a lucky lotto win. How you can legitimately blame Newy, hampered by Bankruptcy and NHL ownership for all but like 6months of his Tenure, for Nills continued failures half a decade later is mind-boggling.
That was also 8 years ago . 2 years from now you can probably add Robertson , hintz , guryanov , dickinson to nills side .

serp

Jan 17, 2016
No, they don't, because Wilson already tooled Oleksiak. Gudbranson can go toe to toe with that monster.

He also costs twice as much and is worse at actual hockey and Oleksiak is not good at playing hockey just Gudbranson is the statistically among the worst players in the league maybe the worst. If you get a guy that is horrible at hockey to handle Tom Wilson you lost to Tom Wilson because he's in your head.

Reactions: BigG44

NFKappaB

Mo Money Mo Problems
Jun 29, 2011
Nova Scotia
I am flip flopping here, but I honestly hope we sign Zuc. It's one game simple size, but you could tell he added a lot of energy in our lineup.

I am ok giving up a 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad