Speculation: 2018-2019 Transaction Discussions & Speculation

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Thought I’d look some buyouts up.

My guess is no Comeau buyout happens the summer. Gaglardi won’t want to write the check and the cap hits go on a while.

2019 buyout
Gaglardi pays Comeau $3 million.
Over the next four seasons, the cap hits are $566k, $1.16M, $766k, and $766k.

2020 buyout
Gaglardi pays Comeau $1.33 million.
Over the next two seasons, the cap hits would be $1M and $666k.

Since Nichushkin is under 26, his buyout is much cheaper this summer.
Gaglardi pays Nichushkin $900k.
Over the next two seasons the cap hits are $700k and $450k.
I think there are teams out there that would look at Comeau. 2 years at 2.4 is pretty low risk though a little overpaid. With Cogliano now on the roster his salary definitely needs to be shed. Nuke, while also overpaid, only has one year left. I dont think his situation is that dire.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I think there are teams out there that would look at Comeau. 2 years at 2.4 is pretty low risk though a little overpaid. With Cogliano now on the roster his salary definitely needs to be shed. Nuke, while also overpaid, only has one year left. I dont think his situation is that dire.
You guys realize Salary is not a problem for us next season right?
We have 18mil in space, only Lindell of any significance to re-sign and that doesn't include the projected 83mil upper limit next year.
Nor does it include dumping Hanzal, which should be priority 1.

That 18mil in space is with 14players returning next season (15 with Lindell) so we'd have to add/re-sign 3 d-men,
with 5 forward spots to fill in (full 23man roster)
again it is likely Gurianov, Robertson, fill a couple of those spots with Dickinson being re-signed to fill one as well
even with Lindell getting 5mil a yr, with the 4mil in cap growth, we're still sitting with roughly 17mil free to fill the remaining spots.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Yep we are looking good for next season. I know some people have suggested signing Zucc in the offseason, but we should have enough to go after a big target like Panarin/Duchene/Karlsson. If we strike out on those guys sure sign Zucc or Nyquist, but we should shoot a little higher.

Johno

Assembling a Nordic powerhouse
Oct 30, 2013
Yep we are looking good for next season. I know some people have suggested signing Zucc in the offseason, but we should have enough to go after a big target like Panarin/Duchene/Karlsson. If we strike out on those guys sure sign Zucc or Nyquist, but we should shoot a little higher.

Signing Zucc has no effect on signing one of the big names. The problem is Nill giving all the fringe guys contracts, and well overpaying them.

With 23mil to spare next summer, shouldn't be a problem to add Lindell @ $4-5mil, Zucc @ $5.5- 6mil and the "big fish" for $8-10mil.
Hanzal either retires or goes on LTIR again. That's ~5mil extra to play with.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Signing Zucc has no effect on signing one of the big names. The problem is Nill giving all the fringe guys contracts, and well overpaying them.

With 23mil to spare next summer, shouldn't be a problem to add Lindell @ $4-5mil, Zucc @ $5.5- 6mil and the "big fish" for $8-10mil.
Hanzal either retires or goes on LTIR again. That's ~5mil extra to play with.

I feel like Nill has always given depth players pretty fair contracts but that’s just me. We could potentially add two top six players, I’d rather spend the extra money on another defenceman.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
We dont need both Cogs and Comeau. One can go. Same with Nuke and Ritchie. The other thing to consider is if we wanna give up a first by signing Zucc. Is there any lotto protection on it? Cant remember

Zucc - Seguin - Rads
Benn - Hintz - good FA please
Janmark - Faksa - Comeau
Cogs - Dick - Pitlick

I'd be ok with this. S
Resign Zucc and add another top 6 forward either trade or FA

Hintz - Seguin - Rads
Benn - Hayes - Zucc

Panarin - Seguin - Rads
Benn - Hintz - Zucc

Realistically going after Panarin or Duchene might be to much, but Zucc plus someone likes Hayes, Nyquist etc would probably work better capwise

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I posted this offseason plan about a week ago:

Zuccarello-Seguin-Radulov
Benn-Hayes/Duchene-Hintz
Gurianov-Faksa-Donskoi
Cogliano-Dickinson-Comeau/Pitlick

Call-ups: L'Esperance, Robertson

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Myers
Oleksiak-Johns
Polak/Fedun/Bayreuther

Bishop
Khudobin

Trade Janmark and Honka for picks, sign Donskoi to a 3 year, $2.7m AAV deal, sign Zucc for 4-5 years at $5.5m per, and Hayes at 5 years for $6.25m. Dickinson signs for 2 years at $2m AAV. Sign Tyler Myers for 3 years at $4.5m, and Lindell for 5 years at $4.75m each. Re-sign Polak or Fedun for 1 year at $1.5m if we wanna keep around a 7th dman or in case Johns can't play.

Buyout Val and let Ritchie go. Martin Hanzal to LTIR.

I messed around with armchair GM a lot and this all worked out cap-wise. Donskoi was the only 3rd liner free agent that I really had interest in. Connolly and Panik are other potential options. I don't think Robertson will be ready. This plan also works if we were to sign Duchene for 6-7 years at $8.25m AAV I believe.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

Benn-Hayes/Duchene-Hintz
Gurianov-Faksa-Donskoi

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Myers
Oleksiak-Johns
Polak/Fedun/Bayreuther

Bishop
Khudobin

Trade Janmark and Honka, sign Donskoi to a 3 year, $2.7m AAV deal, sign Zucc for 4-5 years at $5.5m per, and Hayes at 5 years for $6.25m. Dickinson signs for 2 years at $2m AAV. Sign Tyler Myers for 3 years at $4.5m, and Lindell for 5 years at $4.75m each. Re-sign Polak or Fedun for 1 year at $1.5m if we wanna keep around a 7th dman or in case Johns can't play.

I messed around with armchair GM a lot and this all worked out cap-wise. Donskoi was the only 3rd liner free agent that I really had interest in. Connolly and Panik are other potential options. I don't think Robertson will be ready. This plan also works if we were to sign Duchene for 6-7 years at $8.25m AAV I believe.

Forward that to Nill

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

Benn-Hayes/Duchene-Hintz
Gurianov-Faksa-Donskoi

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Myers
Oleksiak-Johns
Polak/Fedun/Bayreuther

Bishop
Khudobin

Trade Janmark and Honka, sign Donskoi to a 3 year, $2.7m AAV deal, sign Zucc for 4-5 years at $5.5m per, and Hayes at 5 years for $6.25m. Dickinson signs for 2 years at $2m AAV. Sign Tyler Myers for 3 years at $4.5m, and Lindell for 5 years at $4.75m each. Re-sign Polak or Fedun for 1 year at $1.5m if we wanna keep around a 7th dman or in case Johns can't play.

I'd find a way to deal Gurianov in a package, before his value plummets a la Nichushkin/Honka, for a legitimate top-six and place Hintz or L'esperance on Faksa's LW.

Unfortunately, if the Stars make the playoffs, Nill gets to keep his job and that's never going to happen as long as he's GM.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'd find a way to deal Gurianov in a package, before his value plummets a la Nichushkin/Honka, for a legitimate top-six and place Hintz or L'esperance on Faksa's LW.

That too could be an option. Probably better than throwing him on the 3rd line anyways. I'm not confident he will ever see legitimate icetime under Monty

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
That too could be an option. Probably better than throwing him on the 3rd line anyways. I'm not confident he will ever see legitimate icetime under Monty

Monty notwithstanding, I just don't think he is good enough, mate. I know you want him to be, but I just don't see him being successful in the big leagues. Hintz is the guy to keep, not Gurianov.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Monty notwithstanding, I just don't think he is good enough, mate. I know you want him to be, but I just don't see him being successful in the big leagues. Hintz is the guy to keep, not Gurianov.

He's only 21 though. Just needs to work on his defensive coverage and build some confidence. I don't think producing offense at this level will be the difficult part for him once he starts finishing, although yes he hasn't done it yet. Still plenty of time. If it doesn't work out next season in the NHL or if he's having these same issues while not being able to produce anything and can't stay in the lineup consistently, then yeah it's time to move on from him. Some team will definitely take a chance on him though and he will still have good value. That speed is dangerous on its own.

But, if we get can a really good top 6 player (that isn't in his 30s) by including him in the deal, then absolutely I would.

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014

Benn-Hayes/Duchene-Hintz
Gurianov-Faksa-Donskoi

Lindell-Klingberg
Heiskanen-Myers
Oleksiak-Johns
Polak/Fedun/Bayreuther

Bishop
Khudobin

Trade Janmark and Honka for picks, sign Donskoi to a 3 year, $2.7m AAV deal, sign Zucc for 4-5 years at $5.5m per, and Hayes at 5 years for $6.25m. Dickinson signs for 2 years at $2m AAV. Sign Tyler Myers for 3 years at $4.5m, and Lindell for 5 years at $4.75m each. Re-sign Polak or Fedun for 1 year at $1.5m if we wanna keep around a 7th dman or in case Johns can't play.

I’m actually really on board with this plan. Instead of trading Janmark I’d like to keep him and keep the Janmark/Faksa/Comeau trio together. Have Coglino/Dickinson/Gurianov become the fourth line. We should be aggressive in free agency this year though, far to many holes.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
I'd take Jeff Skinner on this team in a heartbeat. I would target him if he makes free agency this off-season. He would be a great add. All he does is score...which is what we are missing!

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'd take Jeff Skinner on this team in a heartbeat. I would target him if he makes free agency this off-season. He would be a great add. All he does is score...which is what we are missing!

Can't see him willing to sign here. Chances are he stays up north. Isn't he trying to be close to his family/hometown?

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Duchene is in the process of cursing/poisoning his 3rd team, so no to him - let some other sucker juggle that hand grenade.

Erik Karlsson is dealing with a leg injury yet again, which is more likely than not to only become more common as he ages. Paying $11+ million per season to a guy who plays ~65 games which gradually lessens year-by-year and is probably no better than 50/50 to be healthy for the playoffs sounds like a terrible idea.

Send Rads out to sweet talk Panarin and get Miro a partner to replace Johns if he's not coming back.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
Can't see him willing to sign here. Chances are he stays up north. Isn't he trying to be close to his family/hometown?

Haven't heard that anywhere. Last I heard he was wanting to stay in Buffalo but with the way they've been slumping maybe he's lost the desire to want to re-sign with them?

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
You guys realize Salary is not a problem for us next season right?
We have 18mil in space, only Lindell of any significance to re-sign and that doesn't include the projected 83mil upper limit next year.
Nor does it include dumping Hanzal, which should be priority 1.

That 18mil in space is with 14players returning next season (15 with Lindell) so we'd have to add/re-sign 3 d-men,
with 5 forward spots to fill in (full 23man roster)
again it is likely Gurianov, Robertson, fill a couple of those spots with Dickinson being re-signed to fill one as well
even with Lindell getting 5mil a yr, with the 4mil in cap growth, we're still sitting with roughly 17mil free to fill the remaining spots.

Yeah, but money is money. The Stars shouldn't pay Blake Comeau 2.5 million dollars next season if they can avoid it when they're paying Cogliano 3.25 and probably Nichushkin 2.95. Thats way too much money to be paying your middle.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Yeah, but money is money. The Stars shouldn't pay Blake Comeau 2.5 million dollars next season if they can avoid it when they're paying Cogliano 3.25 and probably Nichushkin 2.95. Thats way too much money to be paying your middle.
Oh i agree. but we should have never traded for Cogliano in the first place, he brought nothing to the team but "leadership" or some such.
But guaranteed we're stuck with the trash for the length of the contracts

Ragernschnapple

Feb 24, 2017
Oh i agree. but we should have never traded for Cogliano in the first place, he brought nothing to the team but "leadership" or some such.
But guaranteed we're stuck with the trash for the length of the contracts
They’ll be part of other trades to offset salary. Won’t matter though. After this season all 3 will have their name on the Stanley Cup.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
By the way the team can re-sign Zuccarello without technically "re-signing" him. Meaning sign him after he hit free Agency and i think the 1st round pick wouldn't go to the Rangers. If he hits Free Agency and sign he hasn't been part of the team for a little bit so he's not "re-signed" . Couldn't offer an 8th year anymore but 32 year old Zuccarello isn't getting an 8 year contract.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
By the way the team can re-sign Zuccarello without technically "re-signing" him. Meaning sign him after he hit free Agency and i think the 1st round pick wouldn't go to the Rangers. If he hits Free Agency and sign he hasn't been part of the team for a little bit so he's not "re-signed" . Couldn't offer an 8th year anymore but 32 year old Zuccarello isn't getting an 8 year contract.

Is this explicitly in the conditions?

With it being a 2020 pick, the Rangers would have a decent argument against us if this happens and the wording is vague.

NFKappaB

Mo Money Mo Problems
Jun 29, 2011
Nova Scotia

Nill doesn't strike me as a guy that would do this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->