Speculation: 2018-2019 Transaction Discussions & Speculation

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Is this explicitly in the conditions?

With it being a 2020 pick, the Rangers would have a decent argument against us if this happens and the wording is vague.

I know thats how it works for the conditional pick in the Duchene trade to the Jackets so i would think so it would work here too. Now would Nill do that and would Zuccarello agree to that ? I don't know if i had to guess probably not. Once he hits full free agency the player has complete control. He would have to play along with that.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Zuccarello seems to like the Rangers too much to screw them over like that.

And as Nemeth said, Nill wouldn’t either. That’s a great way to tank your reputation as a GM simply to save a draft pick.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Zucc will either be signed Before free agency or let go . If he plays enough games and develops good chemistry with the guys , I can’t see it being the latter.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Zucc may do a 1-2 year deal and end up back in NY like Sharp did with Chi.

No harm, no foul.

That'd be a big gamble for him when he'll almost certainly get offers of 30M+ over the life of the contract.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Man... looking at Cap Friendly this morning and just realized both Oleksiak and Cogliano are under contract for two more seasons at a combined $5.4 million.

I was excited about the idea of the Cogliano trade at first because I wanted more speed in the forward group, but he sure seems to have lost whatever hands he had in the past.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Thought I'd cut and paste some digging I did earlier today when looking at Nill's trades and free agency moves going back a couple of offseasons.

Good
Signed Radulov
Signed Pitlick
Traded for the rights to and signed Bishop

Bad
Signed Hanzal
Traded for Methot
Bought out Niemi a year too late

Good
Traded a 7th for Fedun
Signed Khudobin
Dumped Smith on waivers
Signed Polak for next to nothing

Bad
Signed Nichushkin
Signed Comeau

Good

Traded for Zuccarello – he’s a good player even if the price was steep

Bad
Traded for Lovejoy
Traded for Cogliano

I ignored RFA signings.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Bad
Signed Hanzal - Agree, puzzling from the get go
Traded for Methot - Generally lauded at the time, especially since price was cheaper than trading down and not getting Miro, as LV had proposed.
Bought out Niemi a year too late - Did he have a suitable replacement and cap space to buy him out a year earlier?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I don't consider the Lovejoy and Cogliano trades are bad. They're at worst meh. Minor upgrades and the price wasn't exactly steep .

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Only traditional hockej men liked the Methot trade. It was bad asset management and we’ve acquired two similar defensemen within the past year at much cheaper prices since.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I don't consider the Lovejoy and Cogliano trades are bad. They're at worst meh. Minor upgrades and the price wasn't exactly steep .

In a vacuum the Lovejoy trade isn't abhorrent.

However - for me if you consider Nill re-acquired Oleksiak not long before that, and now Jamie O is in and out of the lineup and Lovejoy is honestly pretty bad himself, it's just a waste of assets. Especially if you also consider what Brassard was traded for. That's what makes it a really bad trade IMO.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
In a vacuum the Lovejoy trade isn't abhorrent.

However - for me if you consider Nill re-acquired Oleksiak not long before that, and now Jamie O is in and out of the lineup and Lovejoy is honestly pretty bad himself, it's just a waste of assets. Especially if you also consider what Brassard was traded for. That's what makes it a really bad trade IMO.

The team needed a defenseman who can spill Polak and Lindell on the PK badly and Lovejoy has done a pretty good job there . Not to mention how bad Brassard has been doing this year and has been with the Avs as well . The Oleksiak trade was a bit of a headscratcher in hindsight i agree . Jamie O hasn't shown himself to be good enough for Special teams or anything more than third pairing usage.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Methot was fine at the time, don’t think anyone expected his injuries to be this debilitating. It was a small gamble that didn’t pay off.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Methot was fine at the time, don’t think anyone expected his injuries to be this debilitating. It was a small gamble that didn’t pay off.

I think Methot in hindsight was overrated as a player . He was given too much credit for his play with Karlsson on the Senators.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
theres a thing called "development", ever hear about it

He was 25, it was a calculated risk that paid off

Vegas could also offer him the time and luxury of guaranteed ice time, something he probably wouldn’t have gotten here with Hitch

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
He was 25, it was a calculated risk that paid off

Vegas could also offer him the time and luxury of guaranteed ice time, something he probably wouldn’t have gotten here with Hitch
+7.1 CF% rel in Boston

could've had him for p e a n u t s

I remember the Leafs were linked to him and I think the trade fell through

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I think Methot in hindsight was overrated as a player . He was given too much credit for his play with Karlsson on the Senators.
My gripe with Methot is he was always injury prone. It never was this bad, but he’s guaranteed to be on IR every season.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
+7.1 CF% rel in Boston

could've had him for p e a n u t s

I remember the Leafs were linked to him and I think the trade fell through

Brett Ritchie had 5.7% CF-rel last year and he's currently struggling to maintain an NHL job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->