Line Combos: 2018-2019 Starting Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I'm glad other people have observed this, too. I'm surprised Oates hasn't worked more on Scheif's defensive game. :sarcasm: Wheeler is just like a bull in a china shop to me. I don't know if this is the right terminology but his movements seems to lack... efficiency? He wants to look like this gut busting warrior out there and just seems to wear himself out too easily. When he stays out too long, he's just a liability waiting to happen.

As for splitting them up. the problem I suspect is that they want to play together, and have enough pull to get their way. Maurice does let some select inmates run the asylum IMO.

It is a bit of a taboo, understandably, because he has been a great player through the whole Jets 2.0.

But your assessment is still spot on, it's easier to see the reality when you don't have long term emotional ties to the player.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Lowry was 4th among Jets in 5v5 points per 60 in 2017/18 (ahead of Wheeler, Laine and Perreault), excluding Roslovic.

Roslovic was first, in more limited time.

Top scorers by point totals (who also all happened to spend significant time in the "top6")

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It is a bit of a taboo, understandably, because he has been a great player through the whole Jets 2.0.

But your assessment is still spot on, it's easier to see the reality when you don't have long term emotional ties to the player.
My guess is the biggest reason Scheifele and Wheeler like to play together is the both play the cycle game very well. Scheifele is a beast off the cycle, one of the best in the league with his ability to shield the puck and with his lighting quick release in tight. Wheeler is the bull doing the boards and corner work. Connor plays off this well as he will also do the corner and boards work and can read off the cycle to produce offense in his own right. Once Laine is able to play this type of game more effectively I'd expect to see him with Scheif and Wheeler on the top line.

Reactions: LowLefty

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-Little-Laine
Tanev-Lowry-Roslovic
Perreault-Petan-Copp
Dano

Myers-Buff
Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Poolman

Morrow, Chiarot

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Line #1
CoppScheifeleLaine
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Summary: Match Scheifele and Laine together but get Copp in there to help both along the boards and defensively(as he’s one of the best Defensive Wingers in the league) so Laine and Scheifele can focus on being our superstar scoring forwards.

Line #2
PerreaultLittleWheeler
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Summary: Give us back our former 2nd line in which Perreault and Little where scoring high off of Wheelers line driving ability and unique abilities of their own.

Line #3
ConnorRoslovicEhlers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Summary: I’m drooling at the speed, transition and overall shot volume we could see, this line would without question be one of the fastest in the league but the question is will they score? I’m betting they’d do more than that, they’d probably be a matchup nightmare to rule all nightmares.

Line #4
LemiuexLowryTanev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Summary: Now this one is probably the most questionable because Copp really helped Lowry out as a defensive dominant duo but I think with Lemiuexs speed, strength and tenacity he could fit the role well and make for a rich mans Tanev and even I he where to make the line slightly worse(from lack of Defensive IQ) the Top 3 lines could make less minutes for this line as well so there isn’t much to worry about.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Line #1
CoppScheifeleLaine
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Summary: Match Scheifele and Laine together but get Copp in there to help both along the boards and defensively(as he’s one of the best Defensive Wingers in the league) so Laine and Scheifele can focus on being our superstar scoring forwards.

Line #2
PerreaultLittleWheeler
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Summary: Give us back our former 2nd line in which Perreault and Little where scoring high off of Wheelers line driving ability and unique abilities of their own.

Line #3
ConnorRoslovicEhlers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Summary: I’m drooling at the speed, transition and overall shot volume we could see, this line would without question be one of the fastest in the league but the question is will they score? I’m betting they’d do more than that, they’d probably be a matchup nightmare to rule all nightmares.

Line #4
LemiuexLowryTanev
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Summary: Now this one is probably the most questionable because Copp really helped Lowry out as a defensive dominant duo but I think with Lemiuexs speed, strength and tenacity he could fit the role well and make for a rich mans Tanev and even I he where to make the line slightly worse(from lack of Defensive IQ) the Top 3 lines could make less minutes for this line as well so there isn’t much to worry about.
love that 4th line, Tanev is a hitting machine, Lowry as well, and Lemieux would be the perfect fit.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
You lost me at...

Line #1

Copp

As for C-R-E, I doubt Maurice would put that much inexperience on one line. I'm keeping my expectations low if Roslovic spends his first season at C. I think they would be better off using him as Armia's replacement on RW.

Reactions: jetsforever

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
You lost me at...

As for C-R-E, I doubt Maurice would put that much inexperience on one line. I'm keeping my expectations low if Roslovic spends his first season at C. I think they would be better off using him as Armia's replacement on RW.

Copp has been used for the same reason before.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I wouldn't mind seeing them try
Conner sheif laine
Ehlers little wheeler
Copp Lowry tanev
Perrault roslo dano/petan
I'm in for this. Mo really needs to give Little Wheels a good look this year. May be a lot to ask for Scheif to have the two young guns alongside him but worth a try. Hoping hard that Vesalainen makes the team out of camp to throw a real wrinkle into everything

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Now thats what I call going back to a tried and proven failure. But given Mo's past history I think we'll see that line given another hard look this year........argggg

I don't think they should be categorized as a failure. Went through some rough patches. I'd like to believe that Little may have learned something from Stastny. Little is a better defensive centre than Roslovic or Petan. Lowry is a defensive zone centre. Copp is not a top 6 centre.

Alternatively I would go with

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler
Tanev-Lowry-Little

But that is a lot of pressure on Roslovic, with Lowry's being the main defensive one, though Wheeler helps. I trust our top line to play with any. Which takes pressure off the kids.

Reactions: Jetsetter

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I don't think they should be categorized as a failure. Went through some rough patches. I'd like to believe that Little may have learned something from Stastny. Little is a better defensive centre than Roslovic or Petan. Lowry is a defensive zone centre. Copp is not a top 6 centre.

Alternatively I would go with

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler
Tanev-Lowry-Little

But that is a lot of pressure on Roslovic, with Lowry's being the main defensive one, though Wheeler helps. I trust our top line to play with any. Which takes pressure off the kids.

I think that putting Little on the wing (except when he’s slightly injured) is wasteful, especially when we are a bit thin at C and considering his cap hit.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think that putting Little on the wing (except when he’s slightly injured) is wasteful, especially when we are a bit thin at C and considering his cap hit.

I tend to agree. He is so good in the circle. And smart in positioning.

If I were pushing for 4 lines I might look at keeping the top line together, Roslovic taking Armia's spot on the Lowry line.

And go with

Perreault-Little-Laine
Copp-Petan-Ehlers

Perreault is more tenacious than Ehlers, plays in sync with Little, and as a passer gives Laine more shots.

Ehlers has always looked dangerous on his off wing. I remember he and Petan having a great 1st camp together. Petan is crafty with the puck which makes Ehlers more dangerous, hitting him in stride. Copp is the Halischuk of the line. But more versatile, and more complete.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
Is it October yet? N0? Well I would like to see in pre-season test like this:

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler (we know Scheif and Wheels will be stapled together no matter what. This is risky and leaky line but could score a ton.)
Perreault - Lowry - Laine (Perreault works well with Laine, and Lowry tilts the ice and lets Laine focus on bombarding the opposite goalie to bits. MP and Lurch can dig the puck and pass to Laine's general direction. He don't need a perfect pass to score.)
Connor - Little - Roslovic (Little anchors the dynamic duo which have a good chemistry between themselves. I really want to see Connor and Roslo together and who is better to handle the D- responsibilities than Little?)
Dano/Petan/Lemieux - Copp - Tanev (checking/shutdown line)

This is all assuming K-Ves is not available or not good enough yet.

JoMo -Trouba
Niku - Buff (I'm not exactly sure who would be a good stay at home D to play with Niku and let him play his own game but at least Buff would provide the needed physicality)
Kuli - Myers

Remember, there were times that our C were like: Wheeler, Little, Copp, Hendrics and we still found ways to win.
Copp > Hendy
Scheif > Wheeler

Lets just hope the will not be major injuries!

jetsfaneh

Feb 15, 2015
I think a guy being overlooked here is Mason Appleton. He is a RW and is coming off AHL Rookie of the Year honours. And finished 4th in scoring in the AHL.

At 6'2" he could bring some physicality and size that Petan and Dano just do not have at their size. And unlike Vesalainen, he has proven he can play the North American game and excelled at it (not suggesting that he is not American here).

I am more excited about Appleton than say Dano who is what he is at this point and Petan who I think may have difficulty finding his natural spot on this team.

Losing Armia is losing some size and possession time. I like the idea of the 6'2" kid with scoring prowess that already excelled in the A. Plus he is only one year younger than Petan and Dano so he is no spring chicken. Apparently at the rooking camp Appleton looked like he did not belong there at all.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think a guy being overlooked here is Mason Appleton. He is a RW and is coming off AHL Rookie of the Year honours. And finished 4th in scoring in the AHL.

At 6'2" he could bring some physicality and size that Petan and Dano just do not have at their size. And unlike Vesalainen, he has proven he can play the North American game and excelled at it (not suggesting that he is not American here).

I am more excited about Appleton than say Dano who is what he is at this point and Petan who I think may have difficulty finding his natural spot on this team.

Losing Armia is losing some size and possession time. I like the idea of the 6'2" kid with scoring prowess that already excelled in the A. Plus he is only one year younger than Petan and Dano so he is no spring chicken. Apparently at the rooking camp Appleton looked like he did not belong there at all.

I'm concerned about Appleton's large drop in scoring when he wasn't with Roslovic or Petan, but that could just be coincidence/etc.

That said, Dano is a lot more physical than Appleton.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Roster du jour with approximate adding on the AAVs...

MP Scheifele Laine 11.2m (17 minutes)
Vaseline Little Wheeler 11.7m (16 minutes)
Connor Roslovic Ehlers 8m (13 minutes)
Copp Lowry Tanev 5m (14 minutes)
36m
JMo Trouba 11m (25 minutes)
Morrow Buff 8.6m (23 minutes)
Kuli Myers 10m (12 minutes)

Helle Brossoit 6.8m 55/27 games played

72.4 add then add Chiarot and Petan and Dano for another 3m.
75.4m

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Roster du jour with approximate adding on the AAVs...

MP Scheifele Laine 11.2m (17 minutes)
Vaseline Little Wheeler 11.7m (16 minutes)
Connor Roslovic Ehlers 8m (13 minutes)
Copp Lowry Tanev 5m (14 minutes)
36m
JMo Trouba 11m (25 minutes)
Morrow Buff 8.6m (23 minutes)
Kuli Myers 10m (12 minutes)

Helle Brossoit 6.8m 55/27 games played

72.4 add then add Chiarot and Petan and Dano for another 3m.
75.4m
I think you are a bit off on your lines and your minutes. Do you really think Vesalainen will average 3 mins more than each of Connor, Ehlers and Rosie? Or that Scheif and Wheeler will drop 3-4 minutes TOI in a single season? There is little doubt Scheifele and Wheeler will play together. I can see the possibility of letting Laine loose and putting him on their LW. If Vesalainen makes the team they will shelter him down the lineup. Playing with Little and MP might be a real good spot. Then run Rosie between Ehlers and Connor.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think you are a bit off on your lines and your minutes. Do you really think Vesalainen will average 3 mins more than each of Connor, Ehlers and Rosie? Or that Scheif and Wheeler will drop 3-4 minutes TOI in a single season? There is little doubt Scheifele and Wheeler will play together. I can see the possibility of letting Laine loose and putting him on their LW. If Vesalainen makes the team they will shelter him down the lineup. Playing with Little and MP might be a real good spot. Then run Rosie between Ehlers and Connor.
Line times are near impossible to pick because someone might not get as many minutes as the other linemates because he doesn't play special teams or he does but it is on the 2PP or 2PK.
As far as Ehlers goes, I think last year should be considered somewhat of a disappointment. He needs to up his game up a bit. Out of Laine, Connor, Scheif, Roslo and maybe even Vaseline, he would be the first one I would trade.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm concerned about Appleton's large drop in scoring when he wasn't with Roslovic or Petan, but that could just be coincidence/etc.

That said, Dano is a lot more physical than Appleton.
I've been saying I have concerns about Appleton for a while now, no one agreed with me before, but will now, now that you've mentioned this.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I will say this though.

Tanev-Lowry-Little is a top notch 3rd line. Little adds scoring, that Armia and Copp couldn't provide. Furthermore having 2 +50% F/O guys in the defensive zone is smart as you see centres getting tossed all the time now. That line was a big reason we went to the Conference finals, when other combinations of Tanev-Lowry failed.

It would help on successes too.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine is top notch offense. That was a dominant line when put together. Scheifele has the size that made Stastny a fit, and better wheels and finish.

Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler is intriguing. Builds on AHL chemistry, with the captain leading two young guns. Roslovic could be a good centre, covers a lot of ice.

I wonder if Maurice in a search for toughness would consider
Lemieux-Perreault-Copp as a 4th line. Matty can cover a lot of ice, keeping him off the boards, keeps him healthier. Copp can take draws, if Perreault does 't want to. Lemieux can finish, just a question of linemates and opportunity.

Manages to put veteran leaders on every line.

I think the Jets carry 8 d.

The Moose have
Niku/Poolman
Nogier
Stanley
Green
Schilling
Stojkewych
Bourque

already on the roster.

8 d helps with practice. Lots of forwards can be called up, that would profit from playing time in the A.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad