Line Combos: 2018-2019 Starting Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah. But there’s a big chance Laine will come to camp too bulked up/overtrained again because he’s with the same trainer and by all accounts following a similar training program as last year. Come and show your displeasure in the Laine off-season training thread :)
How many years did Scheif bulk up before he became a beast? What age was he when he turned the corner after strength training with Gary Roberts for years? 22? 23? I think Laine deserves a couple more years of growing into a lanky 6' 5" frame.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I do see Laine getting 45-50 goals and Scheif 35-40 so maybe having them on different lines makes sense to spread the scoring? Plus Pmo maybe doesn't trust Laine D part of his game?

He should trust Laine, I think he was better than both Scheif and Wheeler last season. Man, those two would blow the d zone on the slightest sniff of a breakout, only to get burned.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He should trust Laine, I think he was better than both Scheif and Wheeler last season. Man, those two would blow the d zone on the slightest sniff of a breakout, only to get burned.
Laine is not better defensively than either Scheifele or Wheeler. While they both hunt for offense, sometimes too much, Scheifele does come deep to provide down low support and Wheeler is strong on the wall usually getting the puck out of the zone. Laine gets caught flatfooted a lot and still gives away the puck far too often. He also tends to give half arm swings at loose pucks rather than use his strength and body position to gain control.

Jetlaggedoil

Nov 12, 2014
I wouldn't mind seeing them try
Conner sheif laine
Ehlers little wheeler
Copp Lowry tanev
Perrault roslo dano/petan

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Perault/Schief/wheels
Ehlers/Little/Laine
Copp/Lowery/Tanev

Connor/Rozlo/Petan

That 4th line had such great Chemistry in the A.H.L.

Connor/Rozlo. then Rozlo/Petan....with their offensive insticts on a 4th line they would Kill weak match ups......

Also..... Frenchie on the top line could work well with Schief and Wheels and could boost his trade value for next off season when we will need to make room.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I'm just really curious as to how the D will shake out. Looks like there is no room for Niku. Maybe they want him to develop more in his own zone.
But Poolman Chiarot Morrow all fighting for one D spot (i.e. not press box)

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Laine is not better defensively than either Scheifele or Wheeler. While they both hunt for offense, sometimes too much, Scheifele does come deep to provide down low support and Wheeler is strong on the wall usually getting the puck out of the zone. Laine gets caught flatfooted a lot and still gives away the puck far too often. He also tends to give half arm swings at loose pucks rather than use his strength and body position to gain control.

Wheeler loses possession much more than Laine and often times catastrophically. He has given passes to opponents who get a 2 on 0 as a result. Something he doesn't look where Buff is on PP and passes it out of the zone and opponents get to it first. The shots that miss the net shortside and go straight out of the zone...those have bitten Jets too and they are a Wheeler thing.

Of course Wheeler gets into these situations more because he is on the puck more than Laine is, but there really isn't anything I have seen Wheeler do defensively better. Laine may sometimes fail to get the puck out of defensive zone, Wheeler even more often. Laine uses lob passes and the glass for that, Wheeler goes with riskier cross ice passes.

Wheeler looks more involved because he chases the puck more. Laine positions rather than chases.

Laines team leading +32 5 on 5 shows you how good he is in psitive impact. You can't have that with shoddy defense.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
No he didn't. You are misrepresenting what he said. You are saying bad shape, he said something entirely different.

He said that skating is hard (or laborious) for him, can’t remember which. He should show up in top shape for the next camp or a lot of people will be disappointed.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
If Scheifele and Wheeler decide combinations then there is no point keeping a coach around. That's Maurices job.

It is Maurice’s job....But 26 and 55
Love to play together and over the last few seasons have been one of the most prolific scoring duos in the NHL.

You would be an IDIOT not to keep them happy and give them what they ask for. Worry about line combos when they stoop winning.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
It is Maurice’s job....But 26 and 55
Love to play together and over the last few seasons have been one of the most prolific scoring duos in the NHL.

You would be an IDIOT not to keep them happy and give them what they ask for. Worry about line combos when they stoop winning.

They don't need to be separated but they aren't as high priority as Scheifele playing eith Laine because they are the most effective duo in the league. Wheeler can definitely be the other winger in the line.

It would be even bigger idiotism to sit 20-30 extra goals on the bench.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I've noticed that almost everyone agrees on the Copper Lowry Tanev line.

Ehlers Scheifele Wheeler
Connor Roslovic Laine
Perreault Little Vaseline
Copper Lowry Tanev
(Lemieux Petan Dano)

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wheeler and Scheifele have struggled defensively. I think they would be better split up. I'd put Laine with Scheifele and Wheeler with Roslovic or Little. I'd put Connor opposite Laine because he's a real puck hound, and Ehlers opposite Wheeler because Ehlers is good at zone exits and entry and Wheeler is a puck hound.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Wheeler and Scheifele have struggled defensively. I think they would be better split up. I'd put Laine with Scheifele and Wheeler with Roslovic or Little. I'd put Connor opposite Laine because he's a real puck hound, and Ehlers opposite Wheeler because Ehlers is good at zone exits and entry and Wheeler is a puck hound.
So what you're saying is?
Connor Scheif Laine
Ehlers Roslo Wheeler
Petan Little Perreault
Copp Lowry Tanev

Reactions: LowEnd88

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So what you're saying is?
Connor Scheif Laine
Ehlers Roslo Wheeler
Petan Little Perreault
Copp Lowry Tanev
Something like that. I would put Dano on RW with the third line, or maybe Petan. I think Perreault is best on LW, but maybe he'd be good on RW too.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

I'm glad other people have observed this, too. I'm surprised Oates hasn't worked more on Scheif's defensive game. :sarcasm: Wheeler is just like a bull in a china shop to me. I don't know if this is the right terminology but his movements seems to lack... efficiency? He wants to look like this gut busting warrior out there and just seems to wear himself out too easily. When he stays out too long, he's just a liability waiting to happen.

As for splitting them up. the problem I suspect is that they want to play together, and have enough pull to get their way. Maurice does let some select inmates run the asylum IMO.

Reactions: Psych0dad

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
They don't need to be separated but they aren't as high priority as Scheifele playing eith Laine because they are the most effective duo in the league. Wheeler can definitely be the other winger in the line.

It would be even bigger idiotism to sit 20-30 extra goals on the bench.

But they aren't sitting 20-30 goals on the bench.... At all.

If #55 and 26 go to Maurice and say."hey we really like KC and want to keep him on our line." why not do it?

where is the missing 20 goals? what bench? KC scored thirty as a rookie.

Laine and Ehlers were on pace for 30+ with Little as centre. So all the goals are on the Ice.

What is the point of breaking up a beast of a top line, all of whom like to play together, lead by example,share work ethic, and love Winnipeg....and ARE KILLING IT!

If I was Mo I'd do exactly what the Captain and his assistant want...right up until it stops working.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
But they aren't sitting 20-30 goals on the bench.... At all.

If #55 and 26 go to Maurice and say."hey we really like KC and want to keep him on our line." why not do it?

where is the missing 20 goals? what bench? KC scored thirty as a rookie.

Laine and Ehlers were on pace for 30+ with Little as centre. So all the goals are on the Ice.

What is the point of breaking up a beast of a top line, all of whom like to play together, lead by example,share work ethic, and love Winnipeg....and ARE KILLING IT!

If I was Mo I'd do exactly what the Captain and his assistant want...right up until it stops working.

Laine in that spot with that time scores 60+ goals. He will hit 40s with second line icetime and linemates. Do the math. That os how you are leaving goals on the bench. He also would increase Scheifeles totals more than KC does.

If that change comes with a, say 10 goal reduction for KC, you are still high on the positive side.

And no, they weren't beasting it. That first line wasn't that good.

I know it's been a while since we have seen a league leading 1st line, but don't forget that Jets do have that option...it has been a weird choice that we didn't even get to see it in playoffs with backs against the wall. That to me showed how out to lunch PoMo is. He might have also "forgotten" how much better 55-29 is than any other pairing. They were legit #1 line in the league at the start of 2017 when still together.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The way I see it, you almost have to play Laine with Scheifele. If you don't, constructing the rest of the lineup becomes extremely awkward due to Laine's one-dimensional play and low rate of creating offense. At the very least, he needs one of 55, 85 or 27 on his line in any case, but only one of them is a center.

If he isn't with Scheifele, your options are giving him Little (no.), Lowry (shutdown line usage, so that's a hard pass too) or Roslovic (I'd rather not see Roslo practicing the C position with no defensive support from the wings). As long as Laine shows no signs of development with regards to being a creator rather than just a finisher, there is no other option.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
maybe some of you remember how I went off about depth scoring last summer and autumn, so here are some random stats (per naturalstattrick):

2016-17
top 6 Jets 5v5 scorers by point totals (Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Little, Perreault):
225 5v5 points in 440 games (0.51 P/G)
on-ice 5v5 goals per player (pro-rated to 82 games): 59.6 goals for, 57.0 goals against, +2.6
per 60 minutes on ice: 3.1 GF, 2.9 GA, +0.2

all other forwards:
92 points in 544 games (0.17 P/G)
on-ice 5v5 goals per player (pro-rated to 82 games): 22.9 goals for, 29.5 goals against, -6.6
per 60 minutes on ice: 1.7 GF, 2.2 GA, -0.5

2017-18
top 6 Jets 5v5 scorers by point totals (same with Connor replacing Perreault): 215 points in 463 games (0.46 P/G)
on-ice 5v5 goals per player (pro-rated to 82 games): 53.7 goals for, 43.9 goals against, +9.8
per 60 minutes on ice: 2.9 GF, 2.3 GA, +0.6

all other forwards (no Stastny):
136 points in 502 games (0.27 P/G)
on-ice 5v5 goals per player (pro-rated to 82 games): 34.3 goals for, 28.1 goals against, +6.2
per 60 minutes on ice: 2.5 GF, 2.0 GA, +0.5

(Stastny: 0.47 P/G (still lower than 16-17's average top6), pro-rated +39 on-ice goal differential (19 game samples are not big enough for goals...))

At the cost of some offense, the top6 finally reduced their GA number (with some help from the goalie), but that wasn't the biggest step the Jets took this year. Way bigger was the fact that the "bottom six" went from one of the worst bottom six groups in the NHL offensively to providing solid depth scoring while keeping their already decent GA numbers down. The 16-17 Jets had a decent high pace top6 and a putrid bottom6 that was only somewhat decent at preventing goals, the 17-18 Jets have a "top6" and a "bottom6" whose results are basically indistinguishable except that more goals are scored in general with the top6 on the ice.

I think most of the arguments about chemistry and such in the top6 come down to the fact that people still want to see the top6 outperforming the bottom6... which isn't really necessary if both are good.

(reminder: it's been two seasons since Thorburn played his last >10-game-stretch on the Jets' third line. Dark ages.)

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
maybe some of you remember how I went off about depth scoring last summer and autumn, so here are some random stats (per naturalstattrick):

2016-17
top 6 Jets 5v5 scorers (Scheifele, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers, Little, Perreault):
225 5v5 points in 440 games (0.51 P/G)
on-ice 5v5 goals per player (pro-rated to 82 games): 59.6 goals for, 57.0 goals against, +2.6
per 60 minutes on ice: 3.1 GF, 2.9 GA, +0.2

all other forwards:
92 points in 544 games (0.17 P/G)
on-ice 5v5 goals per player (pro-rated to 82 games): 22.9 goals for, 29.5 goals against, -6.6
per 60 minutes on ice: 1.7 GF, 2.2 GA, -0.5

2017-18
top 6 Jets 5v5 scorers (same with Connor replacing Perreault): 215 points in 463 games (0.46 P/G)
on-ice 5v5 goals per player (pro-rated to 82 games): 53.7 goals for, 43.9 goals against, +9.8
per 60 minutes on ice: 2.9 GF, 2.3 GA, +0.6

all other forwards (no Stastny):
136 points in 502 games (0.27 P/G)
on-ice 5v5 goals per player (pro-rated to 82 games): 34.3 goals for, 28.1 goals against, +6.2
per 60 minutes on ice: 2.5 GF, 2.0 GA, +0.5

(Stastny: 0.47 P/G (still lower than 16-17's average top6), pro-rated +39 on-ice goal differential (19 game samples are not big enough for goals...))

At the cost of some offense, the top6 finally reduced their GA number (with some help from the goalie), but that wasn't the biggest step the Jets took this year. Way bigger was the fact that the "bottom six" went from one of the worst bottom six groups in the NHL offensively to providing solid depth scoring while keeping their already decent GA numbers down. The 16-17 Jets had a decent high pace top6 and a putrid bottom6 that was only somewhat decent at preventing goals, the 17-18 Jets have a "top6" and a "bottom6" whose results are basically indistinguishable except that more goals are scored in general with the top6 on the ice.

I think most of the arguments about chemistry and such in the top6 come down to the fact that people still want to see the top6 outperforming the bottom6... which isn't really necessary if both are good.

(reminder: it's been two seasons since Thorburn played his last >10-game-stretch on the Jets' third line. Dark ages.)
Lowry was 4th among Jets in 5v5 points per 60 in 2017/18 (ahead of Wheeler, Laine and Perreault), excluding Roslovic.

Roslovic was first, in more limited time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad