Line Combos: 2018-2019 Starting Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm concerned about Appleton's large drop in scoring when he wasn't with Roslovic or Petan, but that could just be coincidence/etc.

That said, Dano is a lot more physical than Appleton.
Assuming Dano comes to camp in very good shape, I think he's well ahead of Appleton on the depth chart.

Based on how I assume the Jets coaches and management rates them, I would put the Jets depth forwards as...

Tanev
Petan
Dano
Lemieux
Appleton

Vesalainen is a wild card.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I will say this though.

Tanev-Lowry-Little is a top notch 3rd line. Little adds scoring, that Armia and Copp couldn't provide. Furthermore having 2 +50% F/O guys in the defensive zone is smart as you see centres getting tossed all the time now. That line was a big reason we went to the Conference finals, when other combinations of Tanev-Lowry failed.

It would help on successes too.

Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine is top notch offense. That was a dominant line when put together. Scheifele has the size that made Stastny a fit, and better wheels and finish.

Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler is intriguing. Builds on AHL chemistry, with the captain leading two young guns. Roslovic could be a good centre, covers a lot of ice.

I wonder if Maurice in a search for toughness would consider
Lemieux-Perreault-Copp as a 4th line. Matty can cover a lot of ice, keeping him off the boards, keeps him healthier. Copp can take draws, if Perreault does 't want to. Lemieux can finish, just a question of linemates and opportunity.

Manages to put veteran leaders on every line.

I think the Jets carry 8 d.

The Moose have
Niku/Poolman
Nogier
Stanley
Green
Schilling
Stojkewych
Bourque

already on the roster.

8 d helps with practice. Lots of forwards can be called up, that would profit from playing time in the A.

I like those top 2 lines, but I want Perreault with more minutes than Tanev

Maybe something like:
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Petan (although this line could be too small, these three don't have obvious pairings)
Copp-Lowry-Tanev (good line from last year)
Dano (in with injuries)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Assuming Dano comes to camp in very good shape, I think he's well ahead of Appleton on the depth chart.

Based on how I assume the Jets coaches and management rates them, I would put the Jets depth forwards as...

Tanev
Petan
Dano
Lemieux
Appleton

(Note: NOT inside information, but me making random guesses in the air)
My guess is you are right, although I could see Lemieux rise. He has detractors, but he has his fans as well.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Tanev
Petan
Dano
Lemieux
Appleton

Agreed that Vesalainen is the wildcard in how the starting lineup shakes out. Other than if Morrissey signs long term what happens with him is the big question mark. Usually signing a ELC is not that complicated, but my guess he is pushing for significant performance bonus money and assurances of NHL opportunity. With the very real leverage of playing in Europe. Signing a 2 year contract in the KHL may really throw a wrench in the Jets longer term plans and push them to offer the kid more than they otherwise might want to.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think come to end the regular season these will be the lines (unless a trade were to happen or potential roster additions).

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Ehlers
Petan-Little-Perreault
Lowry-Copp-Tanev
Dano

Morrissey-Trouba
Niku-Byfuglien
Kulikov-Myers
Chiarot-Poolman

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

I think Vesalainen could be on the roster in place of Petan/Perreault if they think he's ready for the NHL. But I do believe Chevy picks a goalie off waivers or trades for a much-experienced backup goaltender at the deadline, say a player along the likes of Cam Ward, Ryan Miller, Craig Anderson, etc. I do believe there's a big chance Trouba gets traded and we keep Myers and Poolman in his place.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I don't think anyone trades for Trouba until they can re-sign him and I think that is January 1st.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
It's August , next month is the training camp. Wuhu!!!!

Hope ( I believe) the Jets are hungrier .

When other says other teams in the Central got better and Jets did nothing.
Jets got more experience and at the same time one of the youngest team in the league will get younger.
Out Mason, Hendrick and Enstrom.

Faster and better younger players are coming in.

GO JETS GO!!!

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I like those top 2 lines, but I want Perreault with more minutes than Tanev

Maybe something like:
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Roslovic-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Petan (although this line could be too small, these three don't have obvious pairings)
Copp-Lowry-Tanev (good line from last year)
Dano (in with injuries)

Petan is never ahead of Lowry, in ice time. Lowry plays hard minutes, defensive zone. Tanev is his sidekick on the PK. The 3rd player is a training camp battle, which affects other combos.

I have no interest in seeing Petan on the wing, lacks the size and speed. I'd rather see Lemieux with his rugged game, on the boards and in the corners, on the wing.

Petan might win 4C, or a spot in reserve. Can't see him higher.

Reactions: jetswin

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Petan is never ahead of Lowry, in ice time. Lowry plays hard minutes, defensive zone. Tanev is his sidekick on the PK. The 3rd player is a training camp battle, which affects other combos.

I have no interest in seeing Petan on the wing, lacks the size and speed. I'd rather see Lemieux with his rugged game, on the boards and in the corners, on the wing.

Petan might win 4C, or a spot in reserve. Can't see him higher.

Petan has played ahead of Lowry before. Never say never.
I think Petan gets a middle six winger role by December.

Reactions: bisonbutt

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Is it October already? I need my fix
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: QuietContrarian

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
And yet last season Laine had among the worst GA/60 stats on the team.

Let's see what does actual stats show about our TOP-6 wingers. 5-on-5 GA/60, last season (regular + playoffs):

1. Laine 2.19
2. Wheeler 2.29
3. Connor 2.36
4. Ehlers 2.40

Could you pretty please elaborate more how "Laine had among the worst GA/60 stats on the team", when actual stats for comparable game state (5-on-5) shows the exact opposite?

And please note how Laine's most common linemate Ehlers has significantly worse GA/60 than Laine has. Just a series of coincidences, perhaps?

Edit: source is corsicahockey.com

Reactions: jepjepjoo

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Let's see what does actual stats show about our TOP-6 wingers. 5-on-5 GA/60, last season (regular + playoffs):

1. Laine 2.19
2. Wheeler 2.29
3. Connor 2.36
4. Ehlers 2.40

Could you pretty please elaborate more how "Laine had among the worst GA/60 stats on the team", when actual stats for comparable game state (5-on-5) shows the exact opposite?

And please note how Laine's most common linemate Ehlers has significantly worse GA/60 than Laine has. Just a series of coincidences, perhaps?

Edit: source is corsicahockey.com
Next time you decide to quote an almost month old post of mine, can you make sure you actually read it? At least if you're going to make snide remarks in your attempted rebuttal?

I was quite clearly talking about the 2016-17 season when I said that "the goalies had worse save percentages". He had similar shots against as this season, but worse save percentages, leading to a GA/60 of almost 3.0.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Next time you decide to quote an almost month old post of mine, can you make sure you actually read it? At least if you're going to make snide remarks in your attempted rebuttal?

I was quite clearly talking about the 2016-17 season when I said that "the goalies had worse save percentages". He had similar shots against as this season, but worse save percentages, leading to a GA/60 of almost 3.0.

Next time you refer to season before last season, it's better to not refer to it as "last season". Well, that doesn't make much sense either, as it's not that when Laine is on ice without Ehlers Helle is just magically much better than when Ehlers is on ice with Laine. You don't just have a point, sorry. Also CA/60 without quality factors tells you almost nothing.

I don't think anybody expected rookie Laine (16-17) to be as good defensively as sophmore Laine (17-18), so the relative improvement against other TOP 6 wingers in terms of results (GA/60) was expected. Also when your offence is down, you have to concentrate even more on D to compensate that. In his rookie season he din't play that much on ELL line so his 5-on-5 results in terms of GF/60 were impressive as well as the net goal differential Gdiff/60. As the improvement was relative to other guys having the exact same goaltenders behind them, you cannot address Laine having vastly improved GA/60 when compared to eg. Wheeler and Ehlers to improvements by Helle, that's just nonsense if you think a split second about it.

If your point is that CF/60 & CA/60 is the reality and GF/60 and GA/60 are just too random to take into account, well, then you have a point. I don't agree with that however, as we have seen that several guys like Scheifele and Laine in particular break those models consistently so there is no correlation between CF/60 and GF/60, and therefore it has to be that there is no correlation between CA/60 and GA/60 either. Quality over quantity.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Next time you refer to season before last season, it's better to not refer to it as "last season". Well, that doesn't make much sense either, as it's not that when Laine is on ice without Ehlers Helle is just magically much better than when Ehlers is on ice with Laine. You don't just have a point, sorry. Also CA/60 without quality factors tells you almost nothing.

I don't think anybody expected rookie Laine (16-17) to be as good defensively as sophmore Laine (17-18), so the relative improvement against other TOP 6 wingers in terms of results (GA/60) was expected. Also when your offence is down, you have to concentrate even more on D to compensate that. In his rookie season he din't play that much on ELL line so his 5-on-5 results in terms of GF/60 were impressive as well as the net goal differential Gdiff/60. As the improvement was relative to other guys having the exact same goaltenders behind them, you cannot address Laine having vastly improved GA/60 when compared to eg. Wheeler and Ehlers to improvements by Helle, that's just nonsense if you think a split second about it.

If your point is that CF/60 & CA/60 is the reality and GF/60 and GA/60 are just too random to take into account, well, then you have a point. I don't agree with that however, as we have seen that several guys like Scheifele and Laine in particular break those models consistently so there is no correlation between CF/60 and GF/60, and therefore it has to be that there is no correlation between CA/60 and GA/60 either. Quality over quantity.
When I clearly compare save percentage when one season has high on-ice save percentage and one season has worse on-ice save percentage, for a player with two players in the league, I dont think I should have to specify the years.

Your not understanding my point doesnt mean that I don't have a point. I pointed out the flaw in looking at GA/60 and saying quality over quantity in the post your misread in your original post.

I'm done with this conversation. It took place over 3 weeks ago, and your original post's tone is continuing here. I have better stuff to do.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Slightly off topic, but here's a quick assessment of whether the Jets can keep the band together in 2019....

Assumptions:

Laine @ $9.5M
Wheeler @ $7.5M
Trouba @ $7M (optimistic, but maybe he'd consider that on a 3 year deal).
Morrissey @ $5.5M
Connor @ $5.5M

Myers gone as UFA.
Kulikov and Perreault traded.

Jets could fit that under a $83-84M salary cap... (see below).

Jets 2019 with Wheeler.png

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
That's a lot for Wheeler but maybe 7 million per, 2 years? Or a longer one with less cap hit evey season.

I really hope Morrissey signs for under 6 but he is worth more than Trouba.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's a lot for Wheeler but maybe 7 million per, 2 years? Or a longer one with less cap hit evey season.

I really hope Morrissey signs for under 6 but he is worth more than Trouba.
Wheeler would need a longer term if they give him $7m. I think that might happen.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wheeler would need a longer term if they give him $7m. I think that might happen.

It will be interesting to see how the Wheeler contract negotiations unfold. There are so many dynamics in play in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad