Line Combos: 2018-2019 Starting Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not putting players in areas they exceed at over someone holding out is a great way to also lose good players.

Sure but couldn't we say that about our young dmen in Trouba and Morrissey vs the vet in Myers? Trouba has mentioned usage as a reason for wanting a trade before and i have to think it played a role in Morrissey only wanting a bridge. The fact of the matter is that they all want PP time and imo all three are deserving of it. I imagine it isn't easy to manage an NHL room and keep these players engaged if they aren't satisfied with their roles. You have to wonder if there is a bit more acceptance of an established player holding down a special teams role vs if a yoing rookie was given it. I would love to be able to study locker room dynamics

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think where we diverge is in the value of Armia. His production can be replaced but his forechecking and PK will be missed. And to a lesser degree, his right handedness.

Brossoit looked very good in his first game. Not so good last night. He gave up goals in pairs. I hope that isn't going to be a habit. Mason had something of the same problem. We'll see how it works out.

I'm not sold on Myers. I think his market value would have exceeded his on ice value. I think it is possible that we could have got a better D man back in exchange for Armia instead using him the way we did. Not to mention what we would have gotten for Myers. Now I'm bracing myself for the Myers extension, both too long and too much.

I love Matty but I think we are on the edge of running out of room for him. He is a declining asset and this off-season may have been our last and only opportunity to get value for him.

No objection to dumping Mason but the price to do it was too high. Those assets could have been better applied elsewhere.
As a starting point do you really think Armia was going to get a better defenseman back than Myers? Armia was a 29 point bottom 6 winger. Myers is a 4/5 defenseman and a #4 on our team. No team gives up a top 4 defenseman for a bottom 6 winger. I'll also add that at this point in time MP is a far more important player for the Jets than Armia was. IMO Armia's value was relatively low, especially for a team getting tight to the cap. As it turns out he was likely looking for approx double what the Jets are planing on paying to fill his spot with one of Petan, Dano, Lemieux or KV. IMO Armia was used as an asset, except rather than for a pick or player he was used for cap space. His value to the Jets was Mason's cap hit, plus the cost savings of replacing him with a cheaper option. So in total he was worth approx $5 M in cap space to the Jets. IMO not a bad use of an asset for a team as deep as the Jets.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Has anyone heard when Petan is due back in camp? I believe he left camp a week ago tomorrow because of his dad's passing. I'd assume he should be returning soon. Just curious if there is any word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad