Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't know what to make of Dano. I watch him and I can't tell if he's effective or not. He just looks different than anyone else in the way he goes about his business on the ice. It would be nice to see him get a run of games though. I really don't know which way Mo will go for the first block of games when it comes to the 12th forward. Maybe he rotates.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Waiving a guy who's dad died, can't say TNSE looks good on that one.

Absolutely. Given the circumstances I expect him to get some leeway during this time, and I expect the organization will be the better for it. This ain't the Sens (grace a dieu).

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Absolutely. Given the circumstances I expect him to get some leeway during this time, and I expect the organization will be the better for it. This ain't the Sens (grace a dieu).

But if he were traded to the Canucks, Travis Green would play him, and he'd be closer to home. I think that would be the best thing for him and his career. For the Jets, they keep Veselainen and Lemieux, and I think both should stay. Griffith and Suess showed well in camp for newcomers, McKenzie too, and Roslovic doesn't look too out of place as a centre either, he seems to be a quick learner. I'd like to see Perreault-Roslovic-Ehlers at some point and Veselainen-Little-Laine. I think given how well we played when Buff was in the lineup, and having 4 solid lines to start, lots of reason to be optimistic. Moose have some good prospects to watch this year too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Dano adds one thing better. Pure production. Dano isn't fancy, he doesn't make highlights, he doesn't make eye popping plays, but damn if he doesn't have an incredibly high hockey IQ that results in production. Vesa certainly might produce as much if not more and in the future I certainly see him producing at a higher level than Dano is capable of, but right now Dano is the sure thing with regards to production whereas Vesa is an unknown. Much like I said he would likely spell off with Dano to start to see if he can beat Dano's production for at least Vesa's 9 games. It's why I had both on my ideal roster.

Unfortunately for Petan his family emergency came at the worst time and he probable now has to wait a long time in PB for his chance.

So long as we are not killing an average of an extra penalty a game with Lemieux I will be happy. Whether is Vesa or Dano taking that last top 9 spot I am good, with the other spelling them off to see who takes it over the first 15 games or so. I really like Vesa's game and think he has great potential.
I don't disagree. Dano is smart and has added some quickness and stamina, which bodes well. I just think that KV is already showing a lot of good things in the fundamentals, and you can see his high end skills. I think he's going to develop quickly into a valuable winger. Dano is another really good option. The reality is that the Jets' depth up front is insanely good. Having players like Dano and KV battling for a 12/13 role, with Petan and Lemieux in the mix is outstanding.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
But if he were traded to the Canucks, Travis Green would play him, and he'd be closer to home. I think that would be the best thing for him and his career. For the Jets, they keep Veselainen and Lemieux, and I think both should stay. Griffith and Suess showed well in camp for newcomers, McKenzie too, and Roslovic doesn't look too out of place as a centre either, he seems to be a quick learner. I'd like to see Perreault-Roslovic-Ehlers at some point and Veselainen-Little-Laine. I think given how well we played when Buff was in the lineup, and having 4 solid lines to start, lots of reason to be optimistic. Moose have some good prospects to watch this year too.

We don't know that Vancouver even wants him though.

I still think given his chemistry with Roslovic he is a very natural fit on LW with him and Ehlers. I expect the org will want to get a look at that at some point before they make a decision on him

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would agree, probably the best thing the Jets could do for Petan is try to trade him closer to home. Somewhere he can have a fresh start with more opportunity. He was already in tough to be an every day player with the Jets going into camp and an extended period of time away will put him so far back it is unlikely he gets much of an opportunity this season. If KV adapts quickly to the NHL game there is no more spots available. Add the organization seems to be pretty high on Lemieux making even less room.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Had said in the summer only 1 spot was open and Vesalainen would fill it. I don't think that has changed.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I would agree, probably the best thing the Jets could do for Petan is try to trade him closer to home. Somewhere he can have a fresh start with more opportunity. He was already in tough to be an every day player with the Jets going into camp and an extended period of time away will put him so far back it is unlikely he gets much of an opportunity this season. If KV adapts quickly to the NHL game there is no more spots available. Add the organization seems to be pretty high on Lemieux making even less room.
No one is trading for petan when they can wait a week and possibly get him for nothing on waivers. It's hard to tell what the jets want to do. If they want to keep 8 dmen up then they will put him on waivers. And I don't think he gets claimed.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Lemieux and Dano are very similar players who ideally play on the Lowry line when there are injuries.
Lemieux, for my money, is more impressive than Dano, short term and long term.

Either could start on the 3rd line this season.

I think Vesalainen will get a handful of games at the start of the season, play the majority with the Moose, and then come up before playoffs and contribute.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No one is trading for petan when they can wait a week and possibly get him for nothing on waivers. It's hard to tell what the jets want to do. If they want to keep 8 dmen up then they will put him on waivers. And I don't think he gets claimed.
I think there is a market for him. Not sure how much you would get but teams would see some potential and if they had roster holes they may make a move over waiting in line on the waiver wire.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Its pretty sad that most are writing Petan off here. Nobody in camp really stepped up and won that open spot and he hasn't been here to compete for it. Had he been he may of staked his claim due to chemistry with Roslovic. He was very good in the AHL last year and I think some are very quick to write him off due to nothing more then him not being here for a couple of weeks and people liking the shiny new toy syndrome of some players. Petan has had a number of training camps better then what Lemieux and Ves showed this year.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Its pretty sad that most are writing Petan off here. Nobody in camp really stepped up and won that open spot and he hasn't been here to compete for it. Had he been he may of staked his claim due to chemistry with Roslovic. He was very good in the AHL last year and I think some are very quick to write him off due to nothing more then him not being here for a couple of weeks and people liking the shiny new toy syndrome of some players. Petan has had a number of training camps better then what Lemieux and Ves showed this year.

I agree. I don’t get the antagonism for our own prospects, especially when they’re talented and hardworking. It’s not like Petan is standing in the way of some budding superstar stuck on the farm or mailing it in when he does get a shot. I hope he gets a chance to play, either here or elsewhere, and makes an impact. He deserves to do well.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017

I don’t think that’s why they’re writing him off

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
How's about...

Connor Scheif Wheels
Matty Little Laine
Ehlers Roslo Tanev
Copp Lowry Lemieux

I like this lineup. I was also thinking that Tanev with Roslo and Ehlers would be a crazy fast speed line and with Tanev's board work and forechecking skills would add to not only a line that can use speed for zone entry but may be able to cycle in the Ozone also. Also Tanev has shown he can score.

I think Lemieux would fit in well with Lowry and Copp as a shutdown line.

Doubt this happens but I would like to see it tried.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Who is waiver free still?
Dano no
Lemieux no??
Petan no
KV yes....so send him down till you give Petan 10 games to make the Jets or risk him to waivers.
If Lemieux wants big minutes give him the Moose option if he is waiver free.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
I still don’t think he’s a good NHL player... just works in a very specific situation... and I’m not sure that without Tanev the Copp-Lowry line couldn’t be better.

Yeah I have no idea why that line became untouchable in the eyes of so many all the sudden. How many iterations of X-Lowry-X have the Jets gone through in the last few years where people said the same thing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Don't know if it is writing off or moving on? Not every prospect is going to be a difference maker. In Petan's case I think some see that enough players have come up behind him and he has pretty much run through any real opportunity with the Jets. I think 19 y/o KV getting a long look is seen as being pretty close if not yet ready. After that Lemieux brings a different element and then you have a slimmed down Dano all ahead of Petan. Petan is now D+6 and will turn 24 y/o during the season. An age where a player starts hitting their prime. If a "prospect" is still on the outside looking in at this point in their career it might be time to move on. With Petan the tragic circumstances in his life might allow for the Jets to try and find a nice landing spot for him with a rebuilding organization close to home. This would give Petan a better opportunity to move his career forward and the Jets in turn can recoup something back.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Don't know if it is writing off or moving on? Not every prospect is going to be a difference maker. In Petan's case I think some see that enough players have come up behind him and he has pretty much run through any real opportunity with the Jets. I think 19 y/o KV getting a long look is seen as being pretty close if not yet ready. After that Lemieux brings a different element and then you have a slimmed down Dano all ahead of Petan. Petan is now D+6 and will turn 24 y/o during the season. An age where a player starts hitting their prime. If a "prospect" is still on the outside looking in at this point in their career it might be time to move on. With Petan the tragic circumstances in his life might allow for the Jets to try and find a nice landing spot for him with a rebuilding organization close to home. This would give Petan a better opportunity to move his career forward and the Jets in turn can recoup something back.

That is true but we don't know that these players would have been ahead of him on the depth chart or not given that he really wasn't able to attend camp this year. I just think there are far too many good smaller players who took a while to break out and establish themselves in the league to move on from him too quickly. He showed real promise last year and I would think the prudent move would be to see if he can build on what he did in the NHL before turning the page.

Guys like Perrault didn't make it until their draft plus 6 year and we know how good he is. Guys like Marschachult didn't make it until he was 25ish etc.

Reactions: PhilJets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad