Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Niku getting a spot should be a lock. We have three good defensemen.
The only way it can be a lock is if they waive or trade Petan. Which is a distinct possibility upon reflection.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What exactly are the rules for a person on leave? Do they still count as a roster spot or is it like if they where on the IR and you can replace them in the lineup while on it?

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
The only way it can be a lock is if they waive or trade Petan. Which is a distinct possibility upon reflection.
Or simply cutting Vesalainen.

What exactly are the rules for a person on leave? Do they still count as a roster spot or is it like if they where on the IR and you can replace them in the lineup while on it?

Personal leaves for non-medical reasons that start during regular season (like Enstrom or Erik Karlsson last year) don't exist in the CBA, it's just a mutual handshake agreement between team and player, and the player will occupy a roster spot and be listed like a healthy scratch during that time and earn his normal salary.

However, absence from training camp actually is a thing that's regulated in 15.13, so it's possible that Petan's absence has been formally agreed upon if this procedure has been followed:

15.13 (b) (iv) If a Player reports to Training Camp, and subsequently decides to leave Training Camp, he must provide the Club with a written request for permission for such absence within five (5) days of his departure. (Failure to provide such notice will result in the absence being treated as an absence "without permission.") In the event the Player provides such written request for permission to be absent from Training Camp, the Club will have forty-eight (48) hours to either grant or deny permission to the Player to be absent in writing. (...)

If this has been followed and the Jets have formally granted permission, then, as far as I understand from 15.13:
- Petan will not occupy a spot on the active roster on roster deadline day until he reports back.
- He will also forfeit his salary for each day of regular season that he misses.

So the question is whether they went through the formal procedure (free roster spot but no salary), or whether it's just the normal "come back when you're ready" handshake agreement that's usually done in these kind of situations (no free roster spot, full salary).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Or simply cutting Vesalainen.

Personal leaves for non-medical reasons that start during regular season (like Enstrom or Erik Karlsson last year) don't exist in the CBA, it's just a mutual handshake agreement between team and player, and the player will occupy a roster spot and be listed like a healthy scratch during that time and earn his normal salary.

However, absence from training camp actually is a thing that's regulated in 15.13, so it's possible that Petan's absence has been formally agreed upon if this procedure has been followed:

15.13 (b) (iv) If a Player reports to Training Camp, and subsequently decides to leave Training Camp, he must provide the Club with a written request for permission for such absence within five (5) days of his departure. (Failure to provide such notice will result in the absence being treated as an absence "without permission.") In the event the Player provides such written request for permission to be absent from Training Camp, the Club will have forty-eight (48) hours to either grant or deny permission to the Player to be absent in writing. (...)

If this has been followed and the Jets have formally granted permission, then, as far as I understand from 15.13:
- Petan will not occupy a spot on the active roster on roster deadline day until he reports back.
- He will also forfeit his salary for each day of regular season that he misses.

So the question is whether they went through the formal procedure (free roster spot but no salary), or whether it's just the normal "come back when you're ready" handshake agreement that's usually done in these kind of situations (no free roster spot, full salary).

Thanks for this.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Who else they could waive other than Petan? Chiarot at least? Dano?

It kind of sucks you cannot have the best possible roster due to these limits being quite strict.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

It kind of sucks you cannot have the best possible roster due to these limits being quite strict.
Sure, they could waive either of those guys. I only say Petan due to his current situation in regards to missing most of preseason.

Reactions: Halberdier

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I doubt Maurice or Chevy would do this, but I think they should strongly consider waiving Kulikov to begin the season. He looks like he could use some sharpening up. I can't imagine any other team claiming Kulikov at this stage with his salary. Niku or Chiarot in the opening line-up.

I think KV should start with Roslovic and Ehlers. It might not work, but if it does and KV is able to add scoring to his good board work and puck possession, that becomes a killer line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I doubt Maurice or Chevy would do this, but I think they should strongly consider waiving Kulikov to begin the season. He looks like he could use some sharpening up. I can't imagine any other team claiming Kulikov at this stage with his salary. Niku or Chiarot in the opening line-up.

I think KV should start with Roslovic and Ehlers. It might not work, but if it does and KV is able to add scoring to his good board work and puck possession, that becomes a killer line.

They could also go the conditioning assignment route with him if he was open to it.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Winnipeg Jets 2018-19 Best Starting Roster
Conner - Scheifele - Wheeler
Perreault - Roslovic - Laine
Ehlers - Little - Dano
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Myers

Hellebuyck
Broissoit

Ex: LW/C Petan,LW Vesalainen, LD Morrow

Winnipeg Jets 2018-19 Likely Starting Roster
Ehlers - Little - Laine
Vesalainen - Roslovic - Perreault
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Morrissey - Trouba
Morrow - Byfuglien
Chiarot - Myers

Hellebuyck
Broissoit

EX: LW/C/RW Dano, LW/C Petan, LD Kulikov

I start Vesa in the PB cause he has to be with the Jets. I think the Jets understand that he needs to stay with the team to stay with the organization this year. Even starting in PB Vesa likely plays his 9 games in first 20 subbing in and out with Dano (Ehlers can play either side). If cut out of camp I'd wager Vesa just heads back to Europe for the year.

It seems minor. But Dano adds alot more in both ends that Vesalainen with his hockey IQ, Niku with his smooth skating and passing adds a HELL OF ALOT more than Morrow/Chiarot/Poolman on the blue, Chiarot has no business on an NHL defense corps, the scoring and inexperience needs to be spread out over 4 consistent lines, Morrow needs his minutes limited to be at peak effectiveness. This will make a huge difference. We'll see what happens as camp breaks today or tomorrow.

Reactions: Jack722

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers - Little - Dano
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Myers

Hellebuyck
Broissoit

Ehlers - Little - Laine
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Morrissey - Trouba
Morrow - Byfuglien
Chiarot - Myers

Hellebuyck
Broissoit

I start Vesa in the PB cause he has to be with the Jets. I think the Jets understand that he needs to stay with the team to stay with the organization this year. Even starting in PB Vesa likely plays his 9 games in first 20 subbing in and out with Dano (Ehlers can play either side). If cut out of camp I'd wager Vesa just heads back to Europe for the year.

It seems minor. But Dano adds alot more in both ends that Vesalainen with his hockey IQ, Niku with his smooth skating and passing adds a HELL OF ALOT more than Morrow/Chiarot/Poolman on the blue, Chiarot has no business on an NHL defense corps, the scoring and inexperience needs to be spread out over 4 consistent lines, Morrow needs his minutes limited to be at peak effectiveness. This will make a huge difference. We'll see what happens as camp breaks today or tomorrow.

I would be quite happy if the org got rid of Ben but I doubt they do it.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ehlers - Little - Dano
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Byfuglien
Kulikov - Myers

Hellebuyck
Broissoit

Ehlers - Little - Laine
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Morrissey - Trouba
Morrow - Byfuglien
Chiarot - Myers

Hellebuyck
Broissoit

I'm not convinced that Dano adds that much more than KV, based on pre-season. More importantly, I wonder whether KV might overtake him rather quickly in terms of effectiveness.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I would be quite happy if the org got rid of Ben but I doubt they do it.

It'd be ideal. There's AT LEAST 8 better defensemen in the organization (Byfuglien, Trouba, Morrissey, Myers, Niku, Morrow, Poolman, Kulikov) and perhaps more 2 more (Cameron Schilling and Luke Green). He's at least 700K overpaid and hoping that someone takes him off waivers would be ideal. But I agree it's very unlikely.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm not convinced that Dano adds that much more than KV, based on pre-season. More importantly, I wonder whether KV might overtake him rather quickly in terms of effectiveness.

Dano adds one thing better. Pure production. Dano isn't fancy, he doesn't make highlights, he doesn't make eye popping plays, but damn if he doesn't have an incredibly high hockey IQ that results in production. Vesa certainly might produce as much if not more and in the future I certainly see him producing at a higher level than Dano is capable of, but right now Dano is the sure thing with regards to production whereas Vesa is an unknown. Much like I said he would likely spell off with Dano to start to see if he can beat Dano's production for at least Vesa's 9 games. It's why I had both on my ideal roster.

Unfortunately for Petan his family emergency came at the worst time and he probable now has to wait a long time in PB for his chance.

So long as we are not killing an average of an extra penalty a game with Lemieux I will be happy. Whether is Vesa or Dano taking that last top 9 spot I am good, with the other spelling them off to see who takes it over the first 15 games or so. I really like Vesa's game and think he has great potential.

Reactions: Bigfish

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
While I understand that most people want to separate Laine and Ehlers right now, I sure hope they can iron out their weaknesses together because offensively those two are potential dynamite. Ehlers has the speed to stretch the defense and they work well off each other. Ehlers has the tendency for his powder to run dry a bit but once he gets that consistancy on his shot, they're a nightmare for the opposing defense.

Also, if Copp or Roslovic could fill in for 2C would be interesting to see Little Scheifele Wheeler but maybe that's just me.

Reactions: DashingDane

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

Can Kuli do a conditioning stint with the Moose and then pass through waivers?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Can Kuli do a conditioning stint with the Moose and then pass through waivers?

The player has to agree to go on the conditioning stint and i believe maximum time allowed is two weeks. But yes that would be an option to start the year.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

I doubt the Jets would waive anyone who is waiver eligible.

They would only waive players presently exempt.

Connor, Roslovic, Poolman, Lemieux & Niku are the only players that played NHL games last season for the Jets that are exempt.

Connor & Roslovic have earned their places. Niku has already been sent to the Moose.

I'm fully expecting both Poolman & Lemieux to begin this season on the Moose, barring injuries of course.

Reactions: Halberdier

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Marko Dano just doesn't produce. I would not want him ever taking up a regular roster spot.

Reactions: upperdeckjet

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Oh yeah, well take this...

giphy.gif

Reactions: Jets2point0

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I want to see Dano more than ves for the last spot. Dano is an interesting player, definitely NHL quality imo.

Also, can someone explain those f***ing pufferfish avatars I don't get it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad