Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He has a history of being well worth the price. This year is the outlier.
Gee great history, lots of players were once upon a time good.
Laine was great last year so by that logic we shouldn't worry about his play this year when deciding his value because it's an "outlier".

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If that line can play opponents' top 2 lines to even, then the Jets are in very good shape. I don't think they need to score much. However, to date they have been buried in shot metrics and need to improve or that experiment needs to end. I've been underwhelmed by Tanev's game lately. He's making a lot of poor decisions with the puck, particularly in his own zone. Lowry has been up and down.

Other than the Calgary game, I can't think of a game when they dominated. I know Copp is playing well at centre but at some point I hope Maurice goes back to Tanev-Lowry-Copp as a checking line. Copp's physical play is what helps this line work. Tanev is the most replaceable part on this team. I would argue that Appleton is already a better option but he is being held back until next year.

Perreault-Little-Roslovic have always been good. I prefer Little at centre because of his zone exits. He's a guy that moves the puck quickly. On the boards he is not the strongest, the strength of his game is anticipation, cerebral recognition.

I think demoting Little to Lowry's line had more to do about keeping Little in a top 9 role than anything, although Copp did take off playing centre.

Getting all 4 lines going would be a benefit right now.

Reactions: Jack722

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Laine was great last year so by that logic we shouldn't worry about his play this year when deciding his value because it's an "outlier".
Yeah. We shouldn't worry about it too much going forward, seeing as this is basically unprecedenter for him. Ditto for Perreault.

It is a different case for those who don't have that history of producing anything.

Reactions: DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Perrault has not been any better than Roslovic. Roslovic at least shows the spark of something more while Perrault doesn't.
Yes he has. Perreault has been better in nearly every offensive category and produces points at a much more efficient rate - despite spending extensive time with Lowry who has been a production blackhole this year on Offense.

What spark does Roslovic show? Most nights he's invisible asides from a muffin throws on net, he certainly doesn't forecheck or use his body as hard as Perreault either. Roslovic also spent extensive time in the top 6 (which Perreault hasnt) when Ehlers was hurt and had a whopping 3 assists at 5v5 during those 20 games. How exactly is Perreault not any better?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah. The things Perreault has been better than Roslovic in are...

- point production rate at 5v5
- relative xG differential
- relative Corsi differential
- individual goal- and xG production rate

Soooo... yeah, that spark you're alluding to might be a little less important than you think.
add in the fact Pereault has spent a lot of time with Lowry which probably tanked his offensive statistics too....

Remove Perreault's history then..... his play this year has been better than Roslovics despite being with less favorable linemates.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm tempted to make a full "Andrew Copp Appreciation Thread", but instead I'll just leave nuggets here and there.

Copp is 2nd among Jets Cs in total points/60 (5v5), and matches well in the metric with players like E Staal and B Schenn, among others.

Here is where the Jets Cs fit in the NHL in total points/60 (5v5), considering only players with 400+ minutes this season...

Copp sits at around 72 in the NHL, despite playing mostly with low-scoring line-mates. He's ahead of Little and within shouting distance of Scheifele.

I think the Jets would be very smart to try Copp with a couple of scoring wingers, as they have with Perreault and Roslovic. I think he would also fit very well with Connor or Laine with Ehlers.

View attachment 201939

Button used to call his ceiling top 6 fwd and until this year I always laughed.

The guy does not have great offensive touch, but he is getting it done.

He may not be the perfect guy to fully utilize two offensive wingers' potential. But if he can take care of the two way play for the line, that might outweigh the lost offense...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
add in the fact Pereault has spent a lot of time with Lowry which probably tanked his offensive statistics too....

Remove Perreault's history then..... his play this year has been better than Roslovics despite being with less favorable linemates.
When Perrault got put on line with Little and Laine he looked awful too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yes he has. Perreault has been better in nearly every offensive category and produces points at a much more efficient rate - despite spending extensive time with Lowry who has been a production blackhole this year on Offense.

What spark does Roslovic show? Most nights he's invisible asides from a muffin throws on net, he certainly doesn't forecheck or use his body as hard as Perreault either. Roslovic also spent extensive time in the top 6 (which Perreault hasnt) when Ehlers was hurt and had a whopping 3 assists at 5v5 during those 20 games. How exactly is Perreault not any better?
At the same stage of development Perreault was still primarily in the AHL. He didn't really make his mark in the NHL until his D+5 season. Roslovic is currently in his D+4 season.

Reactions: Mud Turtle

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
At the same stage of development Perreault was still primarily in the AHL. He didn't really make his mark in the NHL until his D+5 season. Roslovic is currently in his D+4 season.
that's great and all, but we're talking about constructing a line for right now for this season. Roslovic has potential to be good, but is he a better option than Perreault right now? results say no

Whileee

May 29, 2010

When it comes to shot metrics this season, using expected goals as the preferred measure Roslovic hasn't been that much behind Perreault this season, and among Jets forwards he's certainly not the player that should be of concern. I'm more concerned that Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor and Little are under water, along with the enigmatic Laine.

2018/19

Expected Goals Plus Minus per 60 minutes (xGPM_60, from Evolving Hockey):

upload_2019-3-23_12-22-5.png

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
When it comes to shot metrics this season, using expected goals as the preferred measure Roslovic hasn't been that much behind Perreault this season, and among Jets forwards he's certainly not the player that should be of concern. I'm more concerned that Scheifele, Wheeler, Connor and Little are under water, along with the enigmatic Laine.

2018/19

View attachment 203661
so Perreault has better xG metrics
better actual point totals/rates - despite playing with Lowry who's finishing/scoring talent has been non-existent
better corsi (for/against) metrics

so what's the case for Roslovic > Perreault for right now?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
so Perreault has better xG metrics
better actual point totals/rates - despite playing with Lowry who's finishing/scoring talent has been non-existent
better corsi (for/against) metrics

so what's the case for Roslovic > Perreault for right now?
A couple of observations...

Perreault doesn't produce much more than Roslovic 5v5, and Roslovic has out-produced Perreault on the PP.

Perreault takes 7 times as many minor penalties per 60 minutes as Roslovic. :eek:

Reactions: probablywrongbut

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
A couple of observations...

Perreault doesn't produce much more than Roslovic 5v5, and Roslovic has out-produced Perreault on the PP.

Perreault takes 7 times as many minor penalties per 60 minutes as Roslovic. :eek:

I am not sure why you're talking about PP in 5v5 line combo. Haven't argued Roslovic/Perreault on the PP. But they each have 7 points on the PP so i am not sure how you're getting Roslovic out-produced Perreault. Also consider 3/7 points that Roslovic scored on the PP came in 1 game (clear outlier). Roslovic has a better scoring rate on the PP - in fact he has the best PP points/60 on the team. But that one game of 2:19 on the PP heavily skews it. But sure, ill give you Roslovic has better scoring efficiency on the PP. Wont argue the penalties Perreault takes more.

So Perreault is better producer 5v5 in actual points+scoring efficiency and better shot share differential (corsi/xG) than Roslovic.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Time to abandon the Tanev-Lowry-Little experiment, that line just doesn't work. Put Perreault or Copp there. I understand the idea of what Maurice is trying to go for with two good faceoff guys taking faceoffs on their strong sides but overall that line just doesn't click, they are not scoring much but unlike CLT iteration of that line they are not spending their shifts in the offensive zone grinding down the other team. Time to reunite CLT and let Little center Perreault and Roslovic/Hendricks/Lindholm

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Time to abandon the Tanev-Lowry-Little experiment, that line just doesn't work. Put Perreault or Copp there. I understand the idea of what Maurice is trying to go for with two good faceoff guys taking faceoffs on their strong sides but overall that line just doesn't click, they are not scoring much but unlike CLT iteration of that line they are not spending their shifts in the offensive zone grinding down the other team. Time to reunite CLT and let Little center Perreault and Roslovic/Hendricks/Lindholm
I really don't get the Hendricks experiment both Perrault and Roslo were producing the few games before Hendricks came in. What did Perrault do tonight?

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

2018/19

View attachment 203661

That's some cavalcade of stars on the starboard side.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
After the trade deadline, a grand total of two Jets have been positives in the Corsi department: Perreault (surprised? me neither.) and Hayes. If you look at the other end of the spectrum, prepare to be disappointed. Below are two of our newfound lines, with each player's CF% from said time frame in brackets.

Tanev (39.50) - Lowry (40.82) - Little (41.23)
Laine (40.43) - Scheifele (39.63) - Wheeler (40.83)

I have a suggestion: maybe break up TLL. As for the top guns, the level of play they are showcasing is unacceptable. The only thing that they have going for them is a sky high PDO, and you know that's going to buy them a lot of free passes... sigh.

At this point, I'm starting to run out of ideas as to how to find the fix this team needs. Keeping Scheifele and Wheeler together does not allow for a lot of other combinations.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
After the trade deadline, a grand total of two Jets have been positives in the Corsi department: Perreault (surprised? me neither.) and Hayes. If you look at the other end of the spectrum, prepare to be disappointed. Below are two of our newfound lines, with each player's CF% from said time frame in brackets.

Tanev (39.50) - Lowry (40.82) - Little (41.23)
Laine (40.43) - Scheifele (39.63) - Wheeler (40.83)

I have a suggestion: maybe break up TLL. As for the top guns, the level of play they are showcasing is unacceptable. The only thing that they have going for them is a sky high PDO, and you know that's going to buy them a lot of free passes... sigh.

At this point, I'm starting to run out of ideas as to how to find the fix this team needs. Keeping Scheifele and Wheeler together does not allow for a lot of other combinations.
Little with Lowry and Tanev never made sense to me. Moving your number 2 center pre-trade deadline to third line winger with 2 guys that have 4th line hands doesn't make much sense to me. A third line of Little Perreault and Copp or anyone else would seem to present some match up problems for other teams bottom 6.

I know the coach and management LOVE Lowry but he doesn't seem more than 10-12 goal guy. I think Copp can handle a 3rd line role next year if Hayes doesn't resign. And if trading Lowry means we can keep Hayes sign me up!

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
I'm wondering if Connor - Copp - Roslovic could do anything together? Copp should see more ice, Rosie and Connor have speed and played well together once upon a time.

See if Perreault can save 55/26. I have been frustrated with 85 lately, in this case it's multiplying negatives to get a positive.

85-55-26
27-12-29
81-9-28
13-17-18

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
In an alternate universe where Scheifele and Wheeler are separabale, I would like to see how this would work:

81-55-27
29-12-26

The first line would be really fast and be good at zone entries, while the second line could turn out fantastic. Laine and Wheeler are good together, and this combination could make Wheeler shoot more as well. I don’t see any glaring weakness in these lines either.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm really pissed that we lost a key player in Tanev in a meaningless game, really, especially as he was the most banged up.

I know it won't happen but I'd like to see Appleton get the call in the lineup for the playoffs:

Laine-Scheif-Wheeler (Copp in the defensive zone)
Connor-Hayes-Ehlers
Perreault-Lowry-Little
Roslovic-Copp-Appleton (that's an energy line)
Lindholm, Hendricks

Pkers all formed from existing lines
Lowry-Little
Copp-Appleton (he was good in his stint, and I am sure he is getting reps on the Moose)
Scheif-Wheeler
Hayes-Connor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad