Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
That is true but we don't know that these players would have been ahead of him on the depth chart or not given that he really wasn't able to attend camp this year. I just think there are far too many good smaller players who took a while to break out and establish themselves in the league to move on from him too quickly. He showed real promise last year and I would think the prudent move would be to see if he can build on what he did in the NHL before turning the page.

Guys like Perrault didn't make it until their draft plus 6 year and we know how good he is. Guys like Marschachult didn't make it until he was 25ish etc.
The problem is at that point in your career when you are no longer waiver exempt you need to find a real good fit with opportunity and even then making an impact is a long shot. Petan is not likely to get that opportunity with the Jets especially if KV sticks. The Jets are just too deep with too much talent with an emphasis on playing with speed. More than likely Petan will spend his time in the PB staying with the Jets. He would certainly start the season there.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I still don’t think he’s a good NHL player... just works in a very specific situation... and I’m not sure that without Tanev the Copp-Lowry line couldn’t be better.
What do you mean exactly by a specific situation? His disruptive speed and forechecking prowess aren't reliant on who he plays with. His hockey IQ might not be much better than your average checking line player, but his speed and his ability to hang onto to the puck for ages in the offensive zone make him quite a valuable asset to have in our bottom six.

Also, his four goals in the playoffs were more than every forward not named Scheifele, Stastny or Laine, and dating back to the regular season he's scored 8 goals in his last 22 games (~30 goal pace which is obviously unsustainable, but it does quantify the progress that I personally see in his game).

Maurice ultimately decided to scratch Copp over Tanev when our season was on the line in Game 5, and while some obviously might not have agreed with that decision, I think it says speaks volumes about how effective Tanev was at times last season.

Last edited:
Reactions: kittiecarlyle

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
No one is trading for petan when they can wait a week and possibly get him for nothing on waivers. It's hard to tell what the jets want to do. If they want to keep 8 dmen up then they will put him on waivers. And I don't think he gets claimed.
If he was claimed you have to put him on the roster. Trade him for a 5th so the optics aren't so bad.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Not sure I follow
To my understanding, the reason why you'll see players traded AFTER they've cleared waivers is two-fold.

One, when claimed off of waivers the player has to stay on your roster for a certain amount of time (30 days?). This is problematic for younger players on waivers that have potential but clearly aren't regular NHLers yet (this is probably why Ville Pokka cleared last year when Chicago waived him), or in this case if Petan doesn't find his game with a new team they're gonna be stuck with him blocking a roster spot for a while. Secondly, once a player clears waivers I don't believe he has to clear waivers for a while, so this would give the team acquiring him via trade more flexibility with how they decide to develop him and not risk losing him for nothing. Some teams are willing to give up a late-round pick for that certainty.

Not sure if that's what you were wondering (or if you were just being sarcastic), but there you go

Last edited:

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Yeah I have no idea why that line became untouchable in the eyes of so many all the sudden. How many iterations of X-Lowry-X have the Jets gone through in the last few years where people said the same thing.

Great point. Lowry is that line.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Really intrigued by this third line. It's good to see Roslo and Ehlers together and I think Ves fits in there nicely as well.

Interesting with the defense pairings. looks to be a little unsettled who is playing with who. You wouldn't expect Chiarot to stay on the 2nd pairing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I like it too, but just can't seem to figure out what Dano has to do to get out of Maurice's doghouse? I'm not particularly a Dano fan, but he's definitely out-performed Vesalainen.
Can't get an extended view of KV sitting in the press box. I'm guessing they want to get him into a few games before having to make a firm decision on him. Especially with the real possibility of him returning to Europe if he doesn't stick with the Jets.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Can't get an extended view of KV sitting in the press box. I'm guessing they want to get him into a few games before having to make a firm decision on him. Especially with the real possibility of him returning to Europe if he doesn't stick with the Jets.

Probably. Dano is prob the one that slides in for Vesa. Would be an intriguing line that I think would absolutely eat other matchups alive with Dano. Guys goes to the net and I think that would really pay off with Ehlers speed.

Ares

May 8, 2018
I like it too, but just can't seem to figure out what Dano has to do to get out of Maurice's doghouse? I'm not particularly a Dano fan, but he's definitely out-performed Vesalainen.
He did his press box duties too well last year lol. Honestly though I've always liked the energy Dano brings but at this point I'd rather see a young guy like Vesalainen or Lemieux get the opportunity.

edit: I know Dano is not all that old himself lol but he feels like a vet 'cause he's been around forever

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Dano, Lemieux, Ves and Petan will all see time with the Jets this year. Just a matter of who takes it and runs with it. Gotta make it impossible for coach to take you out of the lineup.

Reactions: Ares

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
well, Matthias-Lowry-Armia was pretty pretty bad.

I don't remember them being that bad, cursory search of their stats together don't correlate that either but the point is, I don't think it makes a big difference who you put on that line as long as Lowry is on it. That goes the other way too, I don't see guys like Dano or Perreault drasticly increase the production of that line either. The way they're used, it's a steady shutdown line with limited offense.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014

Really intrigued by this third line. It's good to see Roslo and Ehlers together and I think Ves fits in there nicely as well.

This is ideal to me.

He needs his own line where he is the shooter.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I still don’t think he’s a good NHL player... just works in a very specific situation... and I’m not sure that without Tanev the Copp-Lowry line couldn’t be better.

It is possible they would be better with another player - but, I think ideally that player would be a better Tanev. His high speed, high energy style contributes a lot to their effectiveness, IMO.

Conversely, I doubt he would be as effective if his linemates were less skilled in their roles. He probably wouldn't be a good fit on a 3rd scoring line.

Edit: I think he is overpaid by a couple of 00k. Money that could have been added to whatever offer Morrissey wasn't satisfied with.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It is possible they would be better with another player - but, I think ideally that player would be a better Tanev. His high speed, high energy style contributes a lot to their effectiveness, IMO.

Conversely, I doubt he would be as effective if his linemates were less skilled in their roles. He probably wouldn't be a good fit on a 3rd scoring line.

Edit: I think he is overpaid by a couple of 00k. Money that could have been added to whatever offer Morrissey wasn't satisfied with.
To be fair who knows what Mo would have been satisfied with. Another 300k? 400k? a Million. Maybe he would never be satisfied and is just greedy. Who knows. I definitely don't know whats going through any of their heads and it's such a different mentality than anything I could think of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad