(Chiarot-Poolman)

Mason
Hellebuyck

Reactions: voyageur and Cellee

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
To be fair who knows what Mo would have been satisfied with. Another 300k? 400k? a Million. Maybe he would never be satisfied and is just greedy. Who knows. I definitely don't know whats going through any of their heads and it's such a different mentality than anything I could think of.

Right. Who knows? It might have been the difference. Or not. But it was spent on a replacement level player so we will never know.

If not, there would be other uses for that money.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Trouba+anyone makes it a breakdown pairing IMO. I would be looking to reduce his TOI.

Well i guess you don’t pay attention then.

This is exactly what I was talking about in another post. Trouba’s play hasn’t changed but since he’s become public enemy number one and people want to put stock in meaningless preseason games, he apparently isn’t a top pairing defenseman while Morrissey’s perception is he’s in a completely different tier when none of that is the case.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Well i guess you don’t pay attention then.

This is exactly what I was talking about in another post. Trouba’s play hasn’t changed but since he’s become public enemy number one and people want to put stock in meaningless preseason games, he apparently isn’t a top pairing defenseman while Morrissey’s perception is he’s in a completely different tier when none of that is the case.

If anything, Trouba has had my undivided attention for a couple of years now. But gotta say, really enjoying this whole new "if people think such and such, they clearly aren't watching the games" theme that's becoming increasingly popular here. :sarcasm:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Right. Who knows? It might have been the difference. Or not. But it was spent on a replacement level player so we will never know.

If not, there would be other uses for that money.
I'd rather Tanev than Dano or Petan. I really don't get the Tanev hate at all.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd rather Tanev than Dano or Petan. I really don't get the Tanev hate at all.

No Tanev hate. But he is overpaid.

He is not competing for the same spot as Dano or Petan. He already beat them out for the position he has. I prefer him to them on the shut down line. I prefer either of them to him on the 3rd scoring line.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

He is not competing for the same spot as Dano or Petan. He already beat them out for the position he has. I prefer him to them on the shut down line. I prefer either of them to him on the 3rd scoring line.
He is overpaid. I am predicting Tanev will have played a bigger role in this season's success than either Dano or Petan and will most likely imo played more minutes than either of them. He is really not earning that much more than Dano is or was last season to just sit in the PB.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He is overpaid. I am predicting Tanev will have played a bigger role in this season's success than either Dano or Petan and will most likely imo played more minutes than either of them. He is really not earning that much more than Dano is or was last season to just sit in the PB.

Last year Dano took a cut from his ELC to 850k. This year he got another cut to 800k. That reflects the role he has played to date after having been a high pick - which determined the AAV of his ELC.

Last year Tanev got 700k. 900k-950k for this year would have been a nice raise for him. It isn't much in the big picture but I think it was probably unnecessary.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Interesting with the defense pairings. looks to be a little unsettled who is playing with who. You wouldn't expect Chiarot to stay on the 2nd pairing.

I don't mind going with1-6, 2-3, 4-5 as a defensive pairing. Morrow moved up the depth chart in camp. Chiarot surpassing Kulikov surprised me, but Benny has been around awhile, and is probably considered a better penalty killer.

I like keeping the right side strong, Morrow-Myers could be a good 3rd pair. Niku would have a shot at Chiarot's spot if Morrow was a PKing option. Kulikov drawing in gives Maurice 9 defenseman to work with. With Stanley and Nogier as the next wave.

I'm interested to see what happens with Lemieux. Does he stay with the team?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Last year Dano took a cut from his ELC to 850k. This year he got another cut to 800k. That reflects the role he has played to date after having been a high pick - which determined the AAV of his ELC.

Last year Tanev got 700k. 900k-950k for this year would have been a nice raise for him. It isn't much in the big picture but I think it was probably unnecessary.
But Petan just signed for 872k. 872 k only 80k smaller than what you are suggesting for Tanev and is not a regular. I agree 950 k sounds like it would be right.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

They can't score or check they belong where they have been the last 2 years and that's in the press box. Vesalainen has passed them already. Lemieux too. If tanev is overpaid for what he does what is Dano for sitting in pb all year for a couple of 100 less

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not arguing as much as I'm acknowledging your point and also pointing out that Petan is overpaid for a player that is much more of a tweener. I'd rather give Tanev a mil than pay Petan that.

Players who were drafted relatively high start off at a higher level. ELC's follow a pretty fixed scale. Petan is on his first contract after his ELC for nearly the identical amount. If he sits in the PB this year, his next contract will be for less, just like Dano's was. They are affected by the starting point. Petan's is still a 2 way also. So he will make much less if he is in the AHL.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Players who were drafted relatively high start off at a higher level. ELC's follow a pretty fixed scale. Petan is on his first contract after his ELC for nearly the identical amount. If he sits in the PB this year, his next contract will be for less, just like Dano's was. They are affected by the starting point. Petan's is still a 2 way also. So he will make much less if he is in the AHL.
There may be a good reason for it but it is still a huge overpayment and a bigger overpayment than Tanev IMO.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
To my understanding, the reason why you'll see players traded AFTER they've cleared waivers is two-fold.

Not sure if that's what you were wondering (or if you were just being sarcastic), but there you go

Thanks for clarifying my point ello.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
If anything, Trouba has had my undivided attention for a couple of years now. But gotta say, really enjoying this whole new "if people think such and such, they clearly aren't watching the games" theme that's becoming increasingly popular here. :sarcasm:

Yeh if only people actually payed attention to stats and facts :sarcasm:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Petan isn't playing in the AHL this year not counting a conditioning stint.....he won't clear waivers.
It looks like Petan being out will allow them to keep Vaseline up but when he comes back, Vaseline will probably be demoted.
I think Lemieux has probably showed more to make the team to be honest.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Petan isn't playing in the AHL this year not counting a conditioning stint.....he won't clear waivers.
It looks like Petan being out will allow them to keep Vaseline up but when he comes back, Vaseline will probably be demoted.
I think Lemieux has probably showed more to make the team to be honest.
Better players then petan will be put on waivers and clear. He will clear waivers.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
This is a lineup I would have liked to have seen in TC.
Perreault-Scheifele-Laine
Vaseline/Lemieux-Little-Wheeler
KC-Roslo-Ehlers
Copper-Lowry-Tanev/Dano

Morrissey-Trouba
Kuli-Byfuglien
Morrow-Myers
Chiarot

Hellebuyck
Brossoit

Reactions: MoreMorrissey

Ad