Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Trouba/Morrissey
Morrow/Buff
Kuli/Myers

Dano/Lemieux
Chairot

Helly
Brossoit

Honestly its a stupid strong lineup. That 4th line is a nightmare against any team. Ehlers/Roslo looks really good and Ehlers is really driving that line. If Laine gets any kind of Chemistry with either Little or Perreault then the sky is the limit for us this year.

I think Vesa gets a long hard look to start the year if he falters, I think they can go with either Lemieux or Dano there as both have been good in the preseason. I think Vesa has gotten better and better as the pre season as gone along. I like his direct game and his board play is real solid. Lemieux for all the worry about penalties has taken zero minors this preseason, I think the fact they have him playing both the PK and PP is a sign that they really want to see what he can do. Dano looks much better then last preseason, he is skating hard and seems to be in control of his shift length. He can slot anywhere in the lineup as well if they need him too.

On defense the only thing worrying me is how slow Kuli has looked. His skating seems slower then last year. The only positive is he will be playing on a bottom pairing and his ice time will be limited. If he can get up to speed then I think things will be fine back there.

Goaltending looks solid. I think Brossoit looks like a real solid backup so I dont have worries there

The first call ups

Petan
Suess
Appleton

That is if they want to call up a prospect I think it probably falls in that order this year.

Griffith
Everberg

That is if they need a guy for PB duty. Both have been good in the preaseason.

Niku
Poolman

I think Niku deserves to be the first call up. Yes he needs to work on his defensive play but I am not too worried about that.

Comrie

He has something to prove this year. He better be lights out in the AHL because I think his time as a Jet could be at and end after this season

Last edited:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Woops wishful thinking

Haha, I do that too, but mine usually centers around the coach. ;)

But as long as we're wishing, let's get McDavid at league minimum and get Laine some underwear that looks like this:

images

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
KC -Scheif -Ehlers
Lemieux/Dano/Vaseline-Little -Wheeler
MP- Roslo- Laine
Copper -Lowry -Tanev

JMo -Trouba
Kuli -Buff
Morrow/Chiarot- Myers

Helle Brossoit

Poolman and Niku in the minors and a hard look at Lemmy and Vaseline as LWers with Little and Wheeler.
Scheif, Wheeler and Laine on different lines makes it hard for other teams to match up against. The CLT is a given.

Scheifele/Wheeler is one of the best tandems in the NHL. It would be just plain wrong to break them up.

I may try Ehlers on the third line for more balances scoring and move Perreault to the second line. Ehlers and Laine on the same line just makes each other second-guess whether they should shoot or pass to the other guy.

Reactions: libertarian

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Ehlers deserves and would be more valuable with more TOI than he's going to get with Roslovic and vesalainen/Dano/lemiuex

Reactions: DashingDane

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Liked the roslovic Ehlers connection. Maybe Connor on that line, unless they try Laine.?

29-55-26
81-28-27
85-18-56
9-17-13

Probably buries Little too much, but he could get pp minutes...

This is the optimal lineup IMO. Laine getting first line minutes and being pushed by 55 and 26. Connor and Roslovic have always been magic together, Ehlers in the short stint in preseason, looks like a natural fit with them.

If you have a bottom six made up of the lines you have here, then we are as deep as any team in the league.

Reactions: Rene Saari

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
My roster to start the year

Wheeler/Scheif/Connor
Perreault/Little/Laine
Ehlers/Roslo/Vesa
Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Trouba/Morrissey
Morrow/Buff
Kuli/Myers

Dano/Lemieux
Chairot

Helly
Brossoit

Honestly its a stupid strong lineup. That 4th line is a nightmare against any team. Ehlers/Roslo looks really good and Ehlers is really driving that line. If Laine gets any kind of Chemistry with either Little or Perreault then the sky is the limit for us this year.

I think Vesa gets a long hard look to start the year if he falters, I think they can go with either Lemieux or Dano there as both have been good in the preseason. I think Vesa has gotten better and better as the pre season as gone along. I like his direct game and his board play is real solid. Lemieux for all the worry about penalties has taken zero minors this preseason, I think the fact they have him playing both the PK and PP is a sign that they really want to see what he can do. Dano looks much better then last preseason, he is skating hard and seems to be in control of his shift length. He can slot anywhere in the lineup as well if they need him too.

On defense the only thing worrying me is how slow Kuli has looked. His skating seems slower then last year. The only positive is he will be playing on a bottom pairing and his ice time will be limited. If he can get up to speed then I think things will be fine back there.

Goaltending looks solid. I think Brossoit looks like a real solid backup so I dont have worries there

The first call ups

Petan
Suess
Appleton

That is if they want to call up a prospect I think it probably falls in that order this year.

Griffith
Everberg

Niku
Poolman

I think Niku deserves to be the first call up. Yes he needs to work on his defensive play but I am not too worried about that.

Comrie

He has something to prove this year. He better be lights out in the AHL because I think his time as a Jet could be at and end after this season

Lemieux had a minor penalty against Oilers, which at that point put the game out of reach with an unsuccessful PK. However, he has been quite good, I agree.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Players play. It is what they do. Teams need their players playing to win games. The margin at the end of the season is often very close, and a game lost on October is the same as losing one in March. Players get the best possible medical attention along the way. Also interesting you singled out "old man" Wheeler one of the most fit and certainly most durable player on the team. He'd be one of the last guys I'd be worried about needing a night off.
Players also need to stay healthy for teams to win. Wasn't there some speculation that sheif was playing through some injuries when he was injured last year?

Best way to utilize the depth is to ensure a healthy team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is how it will start,maybe the D is wrong but I hope Maurice figures out Myers on LD doesn’t work and takes Myers strongest part of his game away tight turns to the right then skates out of trouble.Plus I really don’t like any combination of remaining D to fill out the bottom pair.He might shorten the bench at times and that’s when Myers moves up beside Buff.

Connor/Scheifele/Wheeler
Perreault/Little/Laine
Vesalainen/Roslovic/Ehlers
Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Morrissey/Trouba
Morrow/Byfuglien
Kulikov/Myers

Chariot/Dano/Petan

First call ups Poolman/Lemieux

You could be right. I think keeping KVes right now would be a mistake. He is playing a careful, conservative game so he may not be hurting us, but he isn't exactly helping either. Maybe he has looked better in practice?

I like splitting up Ehlers and Laine but I'm not impressed with doing it that way. Ehlers needs to be on the ice as much as possible, not less than before. That is 3 pretty dangerous lines plus a great shutdown line. Will be fun to watch.

Reactions: Tommigun

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Players play. It is what they do. Teams need their players playing to win games. The margin at the end of the season is often very close, and a game lost on October is the same as losing one in March. Players get the best possible medical attention along the way. Also interesting you singled out "old man" Wheeler one of the most fit and certainly most durable player on the team. He'd be one of the last guys I'd be worried about needing a night off.

I keep thinking back to that last regular season game against the Preds. We had them, 5-3 and let up in the 3rd. That one period was the difference between a Presidents Cup and also ran in a 4 point game. Missed it by that :crossfing much

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
That’s the problem with good teams. Lots of players deserve more ice time..

Also how you eventually get an unhappy locker room. At some point the players being under utilized are going to want a trade and it becomes a toxic situation. Not catering to to good young players (Connor, Rosie, Laine, Ehlers, JoMo) could leave the team in trouble 2-3 years down the road.

And no, I'm not suggesting we hand them 1st line min with zero accountability. But at least three of those names have earned bigger roles than they currently have imo.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Also how you eventually get an unhappy locker room. At some point the players being under utilized are going to want a trade and it becomes a toxic situation. Not catering to to good young players (Connor, Rosie, Laine, Ehlers, JoMo) could leave the team in trouble 2-3 years down the road.

And no, I'm not suggesting we hand them 1st line min with zero accountability. But at least three of those names have earned bigger roles than they currently have imo.

Well said. There were rumblings Ehlers wasn't happy with his reduced ice time last year and i can't say I blame given he's finished top 3 in ES P per 60 the last two seasons. His performance indicates he should be played more.

Morrissey was our most impacful dmen last year but got the 4th most minutes per game. He was also our best dmen on the PK but averaged less ice time then Myers and maybe Trouba.

I really have no idea what Laine thinks but I would wager he will start demanding top line minutes soon.

I think usage and a lack of opportunity played a role in Morrissey wanting a bridge in order to further prove himself. It was one of the issues for Trouba as well.

The org needs to be careful in who they pay and give certain ice time to. I know I would have an issue if a vastly inferior player was blocking my progress.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Wheeler/Scheif/Connor
Perreault/Little/Laine
Ehlers/Roslo/Vesa
Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Trouba/Morrissey
Morrow/Buff
Kuli/Myers

Dano/Lemieux
Chairot

Helly
Brossoit

The first call ups

Petan
Suess
Appleton

Griffith
Everberg

Niku
Poolman

Comrie

I agree with most of your lineup. I'd have Lemieux in for Vesalainen. Just like what he brings. He made Ehlers even more dangerous by being out on the ice. But I don't hesitate to put Vesalainen in his place, especially against softer teams. And some home games, making sure he is on the November roster travelling to Finland. Think Lemieux will play against St. Louis.

I keep Petan because if Scheif or Little go down, Roslovic moves up to 2C, and I think Petan is the favourite to play 3C as a replacement. Copp has been excellent on Lowry's line. Not sure he has a replacement, on that line. maybe Dano. Or Suess. Or less likely Everberg. I like Griffith as a replacement 3C too, but it's a dangerous game bringing veteran players back and forth from the A, he is a good candidate for a waiver pickup. Which gives him the role of spot duty (30 day window?) and playoff call up. So for me that puts Dano out. He never played with with Roslo and Ehlers so I think that says something about the depth chart. Maybe can be redeemed for the pick lost with Armia. I prefer Vesalainen's speed to Dano's, but that's a tough call.

I think Niku could replace Morrow, or Buff in the lineup. Offensive drivers. Poolman or Nogier get the rest. Benny can slide in for Kulikov pretty seemlessly. Morrissey is irreplaceable, other than a group effort.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
This is the optimal lineup IMO. Laine getting first line minutes and being pushed by 55 and 26. Connor and Roslovic have always been magic together, Ehlers in the short stint in preseason, looks like a natural fit with them.

If you have a bottom six made up of the lines you have here, then we are as deep as any team in the league.

The problem with
29 - 55 - 26
81 - 28 - 27
is
R - R - R
L - R - L

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well said. There were rumblings Ehlers wasn't happy with his reduced ice time last year and i can't say I blame given he's finished top 3 in ES P per 60 the last two seasons. His performance indicates he should be played more.

Morrissey was our most impacful dmen last year but got the 4th most minutes per game. He was also our best dmen on the PK but averaged less ice time then Myers and maybe Trouba.

I really have no idea what Laine thinks but I would wager he will start demanding top line minutes soon.

I think usage and a lack of opportunity played a role in Morrissey wanting a bridge in order to further prove himself. It was one of the issues for Trouba as well.

The org needs to be careful in who they pay and give certain ice time to. I know I would have an issue if a vastly inferior player was blocking my progress.

I don't know if ice time is really a concern. Compared to 4 line production.

Say you play a 60 minute game and there is 48 ES minutes, one penalty per period. Probably around 14 minutes to the top line, 12 to Little's (what I am looking for is set offensive zone plays, with the teams's best sniper and F/O man on the same line), 11 for Roslovic/Ehlers, 11 for Lowry's line. Special teams plays out the rest. Until Laine is a steady defensive players, and there is a RH replacement for him somewhere in the lineup I don't think that there is a big issue, with where everyone plays. Ehlers can easily knock Connor down to the 3rd line if he plays up to his potential.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
I don't know if ice time is really a concern. Compared to 4 line production.

Say you play a 60 minute game and there is 48 ES minutes, one penalty per period. Probably around 14 minutes to the top line, 12 to Little's (what I am looking for is set offensive zone plays, with the teams's best sniper and F/O man on the same line), 11 for Roslovic/Ehlers, 11 for Lowry's line. Special teams plays out the rest. Until Laine is a steady defensive players, and there is a RH replacement for him somewhere in the lineup I don't think that there is a big issue, with where everyone plays. Ehlers can easily knock Connor down to the 3rd line if he plays up to his potential.

He put up better metrics pretty much across the board last season and wasn't rewarded. As a matter of fact he has improved every single season while seeing his ATOI go down every single season. How would you feel if you did better at your work every year but got less and less responsibility? JoMo was the best Jets defender after Buff last year imo and played the fourth most... Forget about making the players happy. That doesn't seem like a good decision if you want a cup.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Wheeler/Scheif/Connor
Perreault/Little/Laine
Ehlers/Roslo/Vesa
Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Trouba/Morrissey
Morrow/Buff
Kuli/Myers

Dano/Lemieux
Chairot

Helly
Brossoit

The first call ups

Petan
Suess
Appleton

Griffith
Everberg

Niku
Poolman

Comrie

I agree with this. It's a stupid strong line-up. Our "bottom 6" will chew up a lot of opposition.

My only question is about Petan. Would he clear waivers? If not, do the Jets trade him now? I think he's behind KV, Dano and probably Lemieux, now.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He put up better metrics pretty much across the board last season and wasn't rewarded. As a matter of fact he has improved every single season while seeing his ATOI go down every single season. How would you feel if you did better at your work every year but got less and less responsibility? JoMo was the best Jets defender after Buff last year imo and played the fourth most... Forget about making the players happy. That doesn't seem like a good decision if you want a cup.

Metrics are only one side of the story. A player is never judged solely on statistics except HF boards and video games. Execution is a big factor too. And finding complementary players to make a line work, because statistically you would have thought Crosby-Kessel were great, but the Pens won their first Cup with Kessel, by having him on a 3rd line.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

My main concern is that Maurice continues to cater to the vets as they age and lose effectiveness at the expense of the kids that are more effective. It will be an interesting balancing act over the next few seasons.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Metrics are only one side of the story. A player is never judged solely on statistics except HF boards and video games. Execution is a big factor too. And finding complementary players to make a line work, because statistically you would have thought Crosby-Kessel were great, but the Pens won their first Cup with Kessel, by having him on a 3rd line.

I'm not saying it isn't possible to balance lines, I'm simply saying the TOI hasn't been balanced well so far. Kessel is an older player that probably has a bit more perspective and can accept that role because he has already tried being THE GUY. Historically young people aren't very patient and so I think it is short sighted not to consider it. Unless someone shows me the logic in rewarding progress with less responsibility you will have a hard time convincing me why it's a good move :laugh:. I just really hope they address it internally, because if they do and everybody is excited about heir role, we could be looking at a dynasty with this amount of talent...

Briscodog

May 2, 2016

Wheeler/Scheif/Connor
Perreault/Little/Laine
Ehlers/Roslo/Vesa
Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Trouba/Morrissey
Morrow/Buff
Kuli/Myers

Dano/Lemieux
Chairot

Helly
Brossoit

The first call ups

Petan
Suess
Appleton

Griffith
Everberg

Niku
Poolman

Comrie

Petan never clears waivers.

Reactions: boydkc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad