Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My main concern is that Maurice continues to cater to the vets as they age and lose effectiveness at the expense of the kids that are more effective. It will be an interesting balancing act over the next few seasons.
Maurice oversaw a large youth overhaul over the past 3 seasons.

Reactions: libertarian

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
I agree. A trade would make much more sense. I still see him as a more valuable asset than Lemieux, etc.
Maybe to Vancouver would even make true north like like over the top compassionate.

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

And he did a great job at most of it. But we also know it was mandated by the man that signs his pay checks...

I know my ranting is coming off negatively and that's not necessarily the intention. The team was fantastic, almost made it to the finals and Paul was a big part of that. I just fear some of his decisions could have some unintended consequences in the future.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
My roster to start the year

Wheeler/Scheif/Connor
Perreault/Little/Laine
Ehlers/Roslo/Vesa
Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Trouba/Morrissey
Morrow/Buff
Kuli/Myers

Dano/Lemieux
Chairot

Helly
Brossoit

Honestly its a stupid strong lineup. That 4th line is a nightmare against any team. Ehlers/Roslo looks really good and Ehlers is really driving that line. If Laine gets any kind of Chemistry with either Little or Perreault then the sky is the limit for us this year.

I think Vesa gets a long hard look to start the year if he falters, I think they can go with either Lemieux or Dano there as both have been good in the preseason. I think Vesa has gotten better and better as the pre season as gone along. I like his direct game and his board play is real solid. Lemieux for all the worry about penalties has taken zero minors this preseason, I think the fact they have him playing both the PK and PP is a sign that they really want to see what he can do. Dano looks much better then last preseason, he is skating hard and seems to be in control of his shift length. He can slot anywhere in the lineup as well if they need him too.

On defense the only thing worrying me is how slow Kuli has looked. His skating seems slower then last year. The only positive is he will be playing on a bottom pairing and his ice time will be limited. If he can get up to speed then I think things will be fine back there.

Goaltending looks solid. I think Brossoit looks like a real solid backup so I dont have worries there

The first call ups

Petan
Suess
Appleton

That is if they want to call up a prospect I think it probably falls in that order this year.

Griffith
Everberg

That is if they need a guy for PB duty. Both have been good in the preaseason.

Niku
Poolman

I think Niku deserves to be the first call up. Yes he needs to work on his defensive play but I am not too worried about that.

Comrie

He has something to prove this year. He better be lights out in the AHL because I think his time as a Jet could be at and end after this season

Like the lineup but we lose Petan in the process.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He has but his vets are still getting the lions share of the ice time and more special teams roles. Can recognize if a younger player is a better option, i still have some concerns.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
My main concern is that Maurice continues to cater to the vets as they age and lose effectiveness at the expense of the kids that are more effective. It will be an interesting balancing act over the next few seasons.
Just curious, what's an exact example of what you mean here? Other than Scheifele and Wheeler I can't think of any vets that are blocking the way for Laine and Ehlers (or Connor). I think their lack of ice time is due to his lack of trust in them in all situations and less him rewarding vets with unearned ice time.

I can definitely see an argument being made for Myers being shown preference on PP2. To be fair to Maurice tho, his instincts on the power play and just offensively overall are actually quite good (he was tied for 4th(!) on our team for goals in the playoffs and 2nd among dmen) and since we were clicking as a team last year I don't see why Maurice should've swapped him out (especially since special teams chemistry can take a while to develop).

Reactions: libertarian

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He has but his vets are still getting the lions share of the ice time and more special teams roles. Can recognize if a younger player is a better option, i still have some concerns.
Other than maybe Trouba or Morrissey for Myers, I'm not sure what special teams opportunities you think have been given to vets.

Reactions: ello

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree with this. It's a stupid strong line-up. Our "bottom 6" will chew up a lot of opposition.

My only question is about Petan. Would he clear waivers? If not, do the Jets trade him now? I think he's behind KV, Dano and probably Lemieux, now.
It is a good question if Petan clears waivers or not. A team would have to put him on their roster over one of their own guys battling for a spot throughout camp. I'm guessing though someone would pick him up. Bargain basement salary and still some potential.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I wonder if everyone will continue to struggle with Little this year. I believe only Perreault performed better last year with Little as opposed to without him.
Feel free to correct me if I heard wrong.

Reactions: Rene Saari

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the Jets are in a place where they can both succeed at the beginning of the season. Niku with Buff and Vesalainen in a very sheltered role with Frenchy and Roslovic.
I thought KV took a step forward tonight, and Niku might have taken a step back. KV looks better every game, and you can see real quality in his game. Niku had some wobbles tonight.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I wonder if everyone will continue to struggle with Little this year. I believe only Perreault performed better last year with Little as opposed to without him.
Feel free to correct me if I heard wrong.
I thought Little was better tonight. What I've noticed is that the details in his game are off. Timing, positioning, putting the puck in the right areas, etc. He was not good in the 1st, but we saw a lot more of good Little in the final two periods.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
My take on what I believe the Jets should do....

LaineScheifeleWheeler
ConnorLittleEhlers
VesalainenRoslovicPerreault
CoppLowryTanev/Lemieux
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Jets get a powerhouse line(like best in the league by a decent margin type line), a wicked fast duo in Connor and Ehlers and the hope that Little can be a little better this season, Roslovic and Vesalainen get sheltered minutes playing with a brilliant all-around(if he wasn’t short I’d say 200ft type player) veteran and ofcoarse that potent powerhouse shutdown 4th line but with a twist in which Tanev gets a slight bit of competition with Lemiuex

MorrisseyTrouba
MorrowByfuglien
NikuMyers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Jets keep that same shutdown two-way force in Morrissey and Trouba, Morrow jumps up beside Byfuglien in what makes for a excellent 2nd 5v5 pairing and finally Niku beside Myers in what would probably make for the best puck moving and overall scoring third pairings in the league.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
My take on what I believe the Jets should do....

LaineScheifeleWheeler
ConnorLittleEhlers
VesalainenRoslovicPerreault
CoppLowryTanev/Lemiuex
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Jets get a powerhouse line(like best in the league by a decent margin type line), a wicked fast duo in Connor and Ehlers and the hope that Little can be a little better this season, Roslovic and Vesalainen get sheltered minutes playing with a brilliant all-around(if he wasn’t short I’d say 200ft player) veteran helping them and ofcoarse that potent powerhouse shutdown 4th line but with a twist in which Tanev gets a slight bit of competition with Lemiuex.

MorrisseyTrouba
MorrowByfuglien
NikuMyers
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Jets keep that same shutdown two-way force in Morrissey and Trouba, Morrow jumps up beside Byfuglien in what makes for a excellent 2nd 5v5 pairing and finally Niku beside Myers in what would probably make for the best puck moving and overall scoring third pairings in the league.

I'd like that lineup.

My only minor additions are that I don't think Lemieux has any chances against Tanev and I am not sure about Vesalainen. Maybe Perreault - Roslovic - Petan could be the 3rd line. Bit small in size, but a lot of skill.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I'd like that lineup.

My only minor additions are that I don't think Lemieux has any chances against Tanev and I am not sure about Vesalainen. Maybe Perreault - Roslovic - Petan could be the 3rd line. Bit small in size, but a lot of skill.

As much as I like Petan(and I really do as at one point I believed he’d be significantly better than Scheifele and be a near all-star caliber player in his prime, now not so much, I’m think Perreault 2.0 at best and that’s very unlikely). Petans skating and size deficiency would only hurt the Jets IMO(if he’s Top 9 or down, as those lines require players who are more do it all guys and Petan isn’t that, but both Vesalainen and Lemieux fit the bill). And like you said it would be to small of a line.

As for the 4th line thing, that’s just a hope of mine. I love the idea of having Vesalainens talent on the 3rd Line, IMO I think Vesalainen has star potential(he reminds me of what Scheifele was before his breakout and as a prospect) and could put up 50~ this season and having that along side Perreault and Roslovic makes us deep, strong, young and fast. That said at the same time I admire Lemiuexs overall game as much as any Jets prospect out there, he is a great skater, he is tough along the boards, he’s very strong and is one of those rare players that will represent his teams pride behind his knuckles. I would be extremely happy to see both make the team but I do acknowledge the fact it’s unrealistic to want them both there as Tanevs speed and forechecking make him extremely valuable to that 4th line, at the same time though I like the idea of work by committee and best.

Reactions: Halberdier

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Now that the preseason games have come to and end and it is cut down time some interesting roster questions will be answered over the next couple days.

Vesalainen: Does he stay or does go to the Moose or does he decide to go back to Europe? My prediction he is kept on the open day roster and given some regular season games before a final decision is made.

Dano: Does he crack the lineup and become an every day player? My prediction is he makes the opening day roster but finds himself in his familiar seat in the PB.

Petan: What happens with Nic? My prediction he is traded for a mid round pick and a meh prospect with some upside already sent down so the Jets can just move the player straight to the Moose.

Lemieux: Is this the year he cracks the roster? My prediction breaks camp with the Jets and battles with KV over the next couple weeks in an extended audition for the last lineup spot.

Poolman: Moose or Jets? I say Moose.

Niku: Does he start the season as a Jet? Toughest decision for the Jets brass but they ultimately land on sending up to the Moose to log big minutes in all situations on the top pairing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Now that the preseason games have come to and end and it is cut down time some interesting roster questions will be answered over the next couple days.

Vesalainen: Does he stay or does go to the Moose or does he decide to go back to Europe? My prediction he is kept on the open day roster and given some regular season games before a final decision is made.

Dano: Does he crack the lineup and become an every day player? My prediction is he makes the opening day roster but finds himself in his familiar seat in the PB.

Petan: What happens with Nic? My prediction he is traded for a mid round pick and a meh prospect with some upside already sent down so the Jets can just move the player straight to the Moose.

Lemieux: Is this the year he cracks the roster? My prediction breaks camp with the Jets and battles with KV over the next couple weeks in an extended audition for the last lineup spot.

Poolman: Moose or Jets? I say Moose.

Niku: Does he start the season as a Jet? Toughest decision for the Jets brass but they ultimately land on sending up to the Moose to log big minutes in all situations on the top pairing.

The decisions will be interesting. It's too bad we weren't able to see what Petan could do with Roslovic and Ehlers as I think there is some potential there for a real nice line given how well Petan has played with Roslovic in the AHL.

I don't think Ves is ready to be an everyday player and really didn't do enough this camo but his contract clause may complicate things.

Lemiuex had a good camp but really isn't a natural fit with Ehlers and Roslovic. He isn't bad but not optimal, he fits better on the Lowry line imo.

Dano started well but faded as camp went on imo, he didn't really take his opportunities when played with some of the better players.

I am really not so sure how this will play out as one player wasn't able to compete for the spot and nobody else really reached out and grabbed it.

On defense I think Poolman played his way out of a spot. He wasn't good enough period.

Niku in any other year likely makes the team out of camp but contracts will keep him down to start. I expect he will be up at some point and will stick ala Roslovic last year.

I have a hard time seeing them move Petan right off the bat given how the other players performed. Imo they will want to get one more look at him in the NHL before they make a decision.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I could see either of Vesalainen or Lemieux making the team. I'd be happy with either, but Vesa has much more upside. Do the jets give him the spot to see if he can run with it? Guess we'll see.

Niku has flashes of absolute brilliance. Some of his puck retrieval and outlet passes/stretch passes are incredible. He still has a few issues in his own end with board battles. So the same thing as Vesa, do the Jets see if he can run with a spot? He's in a battle with Morrow imo. I'd be happy with Morrow with Buff, but like Vesa, Niku has much more upside.

Going to be interesting how it all shakes out. I'm just glad to have these problems, and looking forward to real hockey starting soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad