Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

Discussion in 'Winnipeg Jets' started by Maukkis, Sep 26, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. Maukkis

Maukkis PK's Sobbin'

Last one hit a thousand. Continue from here.

2. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd You kids get off my Luddite lawn!

Thought post count didn't matter on the new software. Oh well.

3. Mortimer Snerd

@KingBogo
    Not an established one, no. A good prospect though. If not, then we should have kept him. I only point out the possibility of getting something for him as a consideration.

Myers is not a 4/5 defenseman. He just isn't. He is a 5/6 and that is a significant difference. He is not a top 4 D.

Armia's value was his forechecking and defensive play, not his scoring ... although I still think he has more offense in him. It may never come out.

I understand that he was used to gain cap space. Obviously, since he was payment for another team to assume cap hit. The Jets depth is entirely irrelevant. It is a fallacy around here that because you are rich you can get careless with assets.

Myers is overrated. He is not worth his cap hit. He will not be worth his next contract. I hope it is with someone else. Perreault is very good, but aging. I suspect he is declining. After that gets confirmed we will no longer be able to get anything for him. Either would have brought back valuable assets. You can't leave that out of the equation.

Maukkis and Daximus like this.
  4. KingBogo

KingBogo Admitted Homer

I disagree on the value you put on Myers. I agree he is over paid at $5.5 M, but few teams would have 2 RHD better than him. Having the luxury of playing him on the bottom pairing over Poolman makes us a stronger team than having Armia play bottom 6 wing over one of Dano/Petan/KV. MP may be aging but for now he is an important part of the team and a significant play driver. Sometimes assets decline, sometimes assets are used to gain cap space and sometimes they are used at the TD to fill a hole. I'm just more open to spending them when you a top contender in win now mode. Contention windows are limited and actual players help you win a cup.

Saying that Myers over to LHD needs to end. Just a poor fit.

5. Neuf

Neuf Winterplague

Liked the roslovic Ehlers connection. Maybe Connor on that line, unless they try Laine.?

29-55-26
    81-28-27
    85-18-56
    9-17-13

Probably buries Little too much, but he could get pp minutes...

6. Mortimer Snerd

We will just have to agree to disagree about Myers. He is a very good 3rd pair player, but his D zone play betrays him on the 2nd pair.

If I am correct about MP declining then you are stating what he was, not what he is.

It is not a law of physics that contention windows are limited. They are limited by poor asset management.

Agree about Myers at LHD. Even if he successfully adjusted to the other side, which he hasn't yet, I don't think he is a good fit with Buff. And, as I've said elsewhere, I also don't think he belongs in the top 4.

Just to clarify, I don't hate Myers. I like his offense. I think he defends well against the rush. His D play begins to break down once the opposition gets possession in our zone. But playing 2nd pair, he is facing faster, more skilled opponents. He is less effective against the rush and gets hemmed in more often. At least that is what I see happening.

I think his scoring will get him a bigger contract than he deserves. Bigger than any 3rd pair D should get. Bigger than we can afford. So we are only talking about Myers for 1 year (I hope). I'm hoping that last year was not a fluke and that he can stay reasonably healthy with his hip surgery behind him. But all this talk of his value assumes health. If he reverts to his earlier form and misses large parts of the season, his value is further reduced.

Jack722 likes this.
  7. 10Ducky10

10Ducky10 Registered User

KC -Scheif -Ehlers
    Lemieux/Dano/Vaseline-Little -Wheeler
    MP- Roslo- Laine
    Copper -Lowry -Tanev

JMo -Trouba
    Kuli -Buff
    Morrow/Chiarot- Myers

Helle Brossoit

Poolman and Niku in the minors and a hard look at Lemmy and Vaseline as LWers with Little and Wheeler.
    Scheif, Wheeler and Laine on different lines makes it hard for other teams to match up against. The CLT is a given.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  8. Maukkis

Maukkis PK's Sobbin'

Based on Sean Tierney's viz of blended WAR stats... (EW, Corsica & CMHockey's models all in one)

ANA
    BOS
    CAR
    CBJ
    CHI
    COL
    DAL
    FLA
    MIN
    MTL (Weber doesn't qualify due to low GP, but he absolutely smokes Myers in comparison)
    NSH
    NYI
    OTT (currently, this pretty much means 'SJ')
    PHI
    PIT
    STL
    TB
    VAN
    VGK
    WPG
    WSH

...had two better RHDs than Myers. 21 teams, that is.

Rene Saari and Jack722 like this.
  9. GaryPoppins

GaryPoppins A broken clock is right twice in a day

Interesting that Paul Edmonds this AM has Vesalainen not making the team... Instead, Lemieux.

10Ducky10 likes this.
  10. 10Ducky10

10Ducky10 Registered User

I'd agree. Lemieux has showed enough that he is ready.
    I don't think Poolman makes the team either.
    Does anyone know Petan's expected return. He not being here allows Maurice to carry 2 extra forwards and with Poolman and Niku in the minors, 7 D men.
    Once Petan returns I expect one of Lemmy or Vaseline to go down.

Oseductive likes this.
  11. GaryPoppins

Vesa needs time in the AHL. Hopefully they give him a chance on the PP tonight to get off his one-timer.

Mud Turtle likes this.
  12. Joe Hallenback

Joe Hallenback Registered User

I think Vesa needs time playing big minutes in the AHL. Hes been ok but he needs some confidence in his game. He probably has another game here to show he can stay but he kind of reminds of Poolparty in Edmonton at 19, he has the talent but it wasn't just there yet.

Oseductive and Mud Turtle like this.
  13. Halberdier

Halberdier Registered User

I seriously do hope you are completely wrong on MP declining, but preseason games (I know, I know) have made me worried a bit.

14. Mortimer Snerd

I hope so too. I love his game. But it showed the last half season plus PO's as well as pre-season. My thinking is that his style of play has worn him down. The effects of all those injuries is somewhat cumulative. Just guessing at this point. We'll soon see.

Rene Saari and Halberdier like this.
  15. Lars65

Lars65 Useless Git

I'm hoping with a reduced role, and with it ice time, that MP can get healthy and adjust. Maybe not what he once was, but a reasonably priced vet.

Mortimer Snerd and Halberdier like this.
  16. littlerocketboy

littlerocketboy Formally Ruffus

I kind of hope that the Jets hire Doctor Cautious as team doctor. Be far more liberal with giving players time off for healing and avoiding unnecessary injuries. Maybe average 3 forwards injured a night.

I can think of a few players that would benefit. A serious injury to old man wheeler or buff Could have serious implications for the rest of their contracts. You could see players buying in as they could potentially extend their careers a few years.

Otherwise the depth is completely wasted.

It would be interesting to see how many players have been seriously injured over the years because they were playing games they should have taken off.

17. Zhamnov10

Zhamnov10 Registered User

This is how it will start,maybe the D is wrong but I hope Maurice figures out Myers on LD doesn’t work and takes Myers strongest part of his game away tight turns to the right then skates out of trouble.Plus I really don’t like any combination of remaining D to fill out the bottom pair.He might shorten the bench at times and that’s when Myers moves up beside Buff.

Connor/Scheifele/Wheeler
    Perreault/Little/Laine
    Vesalainen/Roslovic/Ehlers
    Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Morrissey/Trouba
    Morrow/Byfuglien
    Kulikov/Myers

Chariot/Dano/Petan

First call ups Poolman/Lemieux

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  18. KingBogo

KingBogo Admitted Homer

It was mentioned on 1290 that on Monday Myers and Maurice had a long discussion and then the next day at practice Myers was back on the right side. I think the experiment is over though I can see it pulled out late in games we are down.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  19. KingBogo

KingBogo Admitted Homer

Players play. It is what they do. Teams need their players playing to win games. The margin at the end of the season is often very close, and a game lost on October is the same as losing one in March. Players get the best possible medical attention along the way. Also interesting you singled out "old man" Wheeler one of the most fit and certainly most durable player on the team. He'd be one of the last guys I'd be worried about needing a night off.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  20. DudeWhereIsMakar

DudeWhereIsMakar Originator of the username

Vesalainen is a big question mark for me right now. I think he's proven himself to be a final cut, never thought it'd get this interesting.

Petan, Dano and Lemieux already made a case for a roster spot. Vesalainen now too.

DannyGallivan likes this.
  21. puck stoppa

puck stoppa Registered User

Not many thought this in summer, some were saying he needs time in Europe. I said he's ready and he is, but I'd still over ripen him like they did Roslo and are Niku. He may end up being the piece we add at trade deadline instead of a trade if he plays well with the Moose.

22. Whileee

Whileee Registered User

This preseason has illustrated how much depth the Jets have in their organization at forward. Vesalainen, Dano and Lemieux have pushed hard for the 12th forward slot, and Petan probably had the inside track to begin the camp. But they also have had good showings from a few other forwards.

On D, Niku has been quite strong. Stanley and Nogier show that they have work to do, but have improved.

DannyGallivan and Oseductive like this.
  23. Oseductive

Oseductive Registered User

I’d agree for Vesa give him top line minutes in the A and get a season under his belt The cap crunch is happening and having him for 3 more years on a elc will be huge and I really hope they don’t split up 28-27 they look great together speed kills and Roslovic really impressed me how quickly he’s adapting to playing center and is very good off reading ehlers

24. Whileee

Whileee Registered User

One reason why Vesalainen might have an inside track on a roster spot over Dano, Lemieux and Petan is that he's much earlier in his development trajectory and likely has more potential to improve and become a more high impact player as he gets familiar with the NHL style. Dano, Petan and to a lesser degree Lemieux are likely playing closer to their peak potential, while we can perhaps expect much more out of Vesalainen as the season progresses. So, if he's close to the same level now, it's not a bad idea for Maurice to keep him, anticipating a more productive player as the season progresses.

Ippenator likes this.
  25. GaryPoppins

Get ready for Brendan Lemieux to make this team out of camp..