2018-19 Roster talk; Part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Well, certain members of this board try to fit every fact into an (ever-changing) narrative.

It's quite clear that Giroux spent multiple seasons suffering from physical ailments.

At his current rate of play, as he now finally has a bonafide elite center on his team, there's no reason to think he can't have another 4-5 years at a near All-Star level and age gracefully in the manner of say, a Steve Yzerman.
I dont know how anyone could argue that Giroux isnt one of the 10 or so most productive players of his era. I do think it was a fair argument to say maybe he won't fully recover or that he won't stay healthy as he was having trouble staying healthy for a while there and just couldnt skate like he used to. Thankfully he just needed an injury free summer of training.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
If Q comes here I believe Panarin would sign here, I believe that was his biggest reason for saying he would sign back in Chicago, I get butterflies thinking about some kind of Panarin-G-TK line, and finally a skilled LW that we all know can score being fed properly

Panarin is the kind of dangerous we need. When he has the puck it generates panic to a degree. We really only see that with G on the team now. That line would be nice. He should also make the PP1 much better and the PP2 better. Imagine if we get Q and Panarin...it actually seems pretty likely.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Panarin would be nice but another defensemen is the bigger need IMO. Trouba should be available in trade and I wonder if they could fit both with the cap. JVR or Voracek might have to be jettisoned to do it though.
I don’t know. I think we need more dmen than we have now. And that’s assuming Provy and Ghost bounce back. But we will have more in Myers and Morin. All that said I’d trade Jake for trouba but I’m not s huge Voracek fan.

Flyers Faithful

Feb 12, 2016
I’d love to get Oliver Bjorkstrand from the Blue Jackets, I think he’d fit in nicely on a line with Lindblom and Patrick. The kid had crazy goal scoring numbers in juniors and judging by the posts on HFCBJ it seems the main problem is Torts usage of him.

Reactions: Rebels57

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
For a $1.15M defenseman, Hagg is one of the least of the Flyers’ problems.

Hmmm..part of one of the work PKs in history, lets his forward shoot constantly, has to hit everything in sight which means he never has the puck.

Yea...seems like a super great deal.

And in full disclosure, I don't mind Hagg if he's your 15 min, 3rd pairing and has a mobile guy who can pass with him.

But staple on this defense? I'm not sure he's here in 3 years.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
That player is gonna have to be good I would assume. Simmonds is walking, he'll be a pure rental.

Sure.

Would have to depend on what the need Jets are looking to fill. They are a very balanced team when it comes to depth.

Then if we are to go Simmonds + when does it get too expensive for Trouba....

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
One would think they would want a dman in return.

First thought is Myers. Simmonds/Myers for Trouba would probably get it done, then you have to pay Trouba like 8MM?

I'm not sure that's a good way to go about it, he's not very offensive.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The Jets are not going to trade Trouba midseason when they are gunning for a Cup. He is an RFA next summer so they can just trade him then.

I actually think a good landing spot for Wayne Simmonds would be Colorado. Their forward depth is the weakest among all Western contenders and they have some good trade assets.

Maybe something Simmonds for Alex Kerfoot and Martin Kaut?

Reactions: dingbathero

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
What do we look for in a Simmonds trade. No contender will trade us a valuable NHL piece, so the Top 4 Dman or Top 9 forward isn't happening.

I would guess just picks/prospects for him, right?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hmmm..part of one of the work PKs in history, lets his forward shoot constantly, has to hit everything in sight which means he never has the puck.

Yea...seems like a super great deal.

And in full disclosure, I don't mind Hagg if he's your 15 min, 3rd pairing and has a mobile guy who can pass with him.

But staple on this defense? I'm not sure he's here in 3 years.

For $1.15M he’s a good deal. I’m not calling him a “staple,”
Just a decent young depth defenseman with a minuscule cap hit.
Brandon Manning is getting paid over $2M per; AMac gets $5M. That should indicate how hard it is for teams to find decent defensemen.
To quote Billy Bob Thornton from Bad Santa, “They can’t all be winners.”
Most teams in the league would take Hagg at a $1.15M cap hit.
And there are a lot of guys not playing to their much bigger cap hits who are more to blame for the team’s underachievement.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
For $1.15M he’s a good deal. I’m not calling him a “staple,”
Just a decent young depth defenseman with a minuscule cap hit.
Brandon Manning is getting paid over $2M per; AMac gets $5M. That should indicate how hard it is for teams to find decent defensemen.
To quote Billy Bob Thornton from Bad Santa, “They can’t all be winners.”
Most teams in the league would take Hagg at a $1.15M cap hit.
And there are a lot of guys not playing to their much bigger cap hits who are more to blame for the team’s underachievement.

You didn't, but that guy on Twitter did and Carchidi helped him along. Hagg is not a very good dman overall. He's like, ok, at times.

If the Flyers can figure out the #4 & #5 guys a little better, I'd still like to have a player better with the puck at that spot.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I like Bjork but he doesn't seem like the type of guy the CBJs would trade in division. As much as Columbus is a one-line team, it sure seems like they have some nice players stashed deeper in their lineup.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
What do we look for in a Simmonds trade. No contender will trade us a valuable NHL piece, so the Top 4 Dman or Top 9 forward isn't happening.

I would guess just picks/prospects for him, right?
That may be the cadd but I think there will be an opportunity for a young top 6/9 player.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hagg is overpaid at his current cap hit.

He's an AHL defensemen who has been severely overused. He should be making league minimum.

Terrible defensively, terrible in transition, terrible offensively.... bUt GuYs He CaN hIt!!! Passive, lackadaisical, brain-dead... the list goes on. He's just lucky he has an even worse AHL defensemen on the team to take the heat off of him. Thanks Mac!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hagg is overpaid at his current cap hit.

He's an AHL defensemen who has been severely overused. He should be making league minimum.

Terrible defensively, terrible in transition, terrible offensively.... bUt GuYs He CaN hIt!!! Passive, lackadaisical, brain-dead... the list goes on. He's just lucky he has an even worse AHL defensemen on the team to take the heat off of him. Thanks Mac!

Hes been fine defensively this season tbh.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I actually think a good landing spot for Wayne Simmonds would be Colorado. Their forward depth is the weakest among all Western contenders and they have some good trade assets.

Maybe something Simmonds for Alex Kerfoot and Martin Kaut?

Good thought. Colorado could definitely make some sense. Beyond the big line, it’s Compher, Calvert, Wilson, Nieto, Andrighetto, etc.

You’re not getting Kerfoot, though. He’s their 2C and generally outproducing Simmonds right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hes been fine defensively this season tbh.
I disagree. I think he’s been awful but Mac being worse and Provorovs shocking struggles have overshadowed it.

Difference is, Mac will be gone soon and i expect Provorov to get back to normal sooner than later, so I think Hagg is the biggest problem on the defense.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think Hagg has probably been fine. It's a little difficult to give him a pass for how bad the PK is given that's such a large part of his job, but if you project him into a universe where the Flyers PK strategy is actually based on trying to stop people, he's probably decent in that role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad