2018-19 Roster talk; Part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There have been for sure a good number of Fwds who have had significant "roles" in Flyers history and been less impactful players.

In terms of Dmen with 200+ games for the Flyers (41 Dmen)...

Brandon Manning
Luke Schenn
Andrew MacDonald

Are likely objectively all bottom 5 in regards to positive impact going back through Flyers entire history of Dmen with 200+ gp.

Not ragging on any of them, all three could/can for sure play in the NHL and contribute in a specific role, but all three were asked to play above that role, and most players of that level on D the Flyers did not hang on to for so long.

What is crazy is all 3 were on the same blue-line from in 2014-15 and the first half of 2015-16.

What is crazy is how intense my PTSD is from watching that :laugh:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Lukas Krajicek & Ryan Parent played 22 & 17 playoff games, respectively, for the team that (somehow) got to the Cup Final in 2010.

Those are 2 defensemen worse than AMac.

flyers0909

Nothing Matters
Jul 10, 2007
Yep, at least a few are still public. Off the top of my head, evolving-hockey.com definitely does.
Sweet thanks. The WAR data there goes back to the 2007-2008 season. When only pulling out their time with the Flyers here is the bottom 5 with number of GP.

RankNameGPWAR
5Vincent Lecavalier133-0.9
4Sean O'Donnell81-1.1
3Brandon Manning207-1.2
2Valtteri Filppula101-1.3
1Zac Rinaldo223-3.1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Lukas Krajicek & Ryan Parent played 22 & 17 playoff games, respectively, for the team that (somehow) got to the Cup Final in 2010.

While I agree that both were inferior players to AMac, saying that they "played" in those playoffs is overly generous. They barely saw the ice. Parent averaged 7:28 a game those playoffs while Krajicek saw 10:01 minutes a game.

AMac has been averaging half a minute more than their combined 2010 playoff minutes this season. That's just too much. He should be getting light 3rd pairing minutes at this point. Hell, he should really be a Phantom and Myers should be up on the big club at this point.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Tbh that teams top 12 and top 4 were amazing, some of the best in Flyers history... shame about not having even one solid bottom pair Dman. It is annoying that the 2 best Flyers teams of this century ('04 and '10) were arguably killed by the bottom end of the D, albeit in 2003-04 it was due to atrocious luck with injuries.

Oh yeh, but they played a combined 129 regular season games for the Flyers, both averaged less than 17 minutes a game over their career too, with Parent sub-15.

There are lots of less impactful Dmen who played ~50-100 games or so as a Flyer, but AMac has played 264 now.

What is funny/crazy is that after that cup final the two combined for FOUR more NHL games between them.

Reactions: Ruck Over

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
At least when Krajicek and Parent were around the Flyers had Pronger to play 25-30 minutes a night and another number 1 D in Timonen. It's down the list after goaltending and coaching but Hextall did a piss poor job of putting together a quality NHL top 6 at D during his tenure as GM.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Jody Shelley should be in strong consideration for one of the worst players we employed. Especially for the newer NHL

I prefer to factor cap hit in as well, and MacDonald's terriblocity and absurd cap hit makes him leapfrog Shelley for me. Especially with how much he gets leaned on.

Not sure anything can top Bryzgalov. Large-ish cap hit sunken into the most one dimensional position on the ice, for a player who singlehandedly lost numerous games while elevating the team to very very very very very very very very few per normal G expectations.

Last edited:

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
It's really hard to come up with older names here. Part of this is the rebuild, part is probably Hextall's personality in specific, but pre-cap teams seemed to be able to get out of contracts a bit easier and never had an incentive to sign anyone to long deals in the first place.

There's also an aggressive cultural component to those earlier teams. Could you imagine MacDonald playing on those 70s or 80s teams? Especially one with Clarke still playing? Wouldn't have lasted a year.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Man, there really aren't a whole lot here. Some of the unmentioned whipping boys (e.g., Carkner, Crossman, Dykhuis) and probably the dedicated face-punchers if we're talking about actual hockey (Dave Brown, Brashear, and Berube). Though they could all take a regular shift, which I wouldn't say about Fridge or Remaldo. Those would be my additions: 1.) Bryz*, 2.) Mac, 3.) Rinaldo, 4.) Fedoruk.

I didn't include him, because I think he did have value as a defender, but Luke Richardson played five full seasons for the Flyers and never cracked the ten-point barrier; it's hard from a modern perspective to see him breaking even, though I never would have said that at the time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Face punchers are easy calls especially the ones who played in that era when there were plenty. I would give more shit to guys like Rinaldo & Shelley who were still playing when that role was coming to an end.

At least back in the day an advantage wasn’t really gained as every team played multiple face punchers in their lineup regularly.

Reactions: Here4ThaList
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad