Official 2024 NHL Draft Thread

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I mean so far this regime has drafted well. I'm not sure what all the doom and gloom is about. We didn't move down, there will absolutely be a top notch player available at 12.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with drafting because so far that appears to be the only thing they've done well
"I'm going to say they drafted well because after one season nobody can dispute that, even though I have no idea if they have drafted well or not"

Reactions: BernieParent

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
My thoughts on the Flyers first pick options

I am positive that Celebrini, Demidov, and Leshunov will be gone when the Flyers pick.

Further, it is very likely that Lindstrom and Iginla will be gone too.

All of these players would obviously look good in Orange and Black, but the first three will be gone by pick 4, and Lindstrom, being a big power forward center with good speed and skating ability and a very good shot will be taken by someone like Columbus, Montreal, Utah, Ottawa and Calgary. They are all good possible landing spots for him.

Iginla will most likely take his skating, motor, and great shot to either Montreal or Calgary, although, some of the other teams may have interest as well.

If indeed, those 5 are gone, and they probably will be, that leaves 9 highly regarded players for the Flyers to choose from (and I’ll add three more to this list later).

Silayev will probably go to as 6’7 200+ pound strong skating defensemen are in high demand. If he is one of the final two or three of the big 13, the Flyers may very well grab him.

Zayne Parekh offers the Flyers a defenseman who can run the power play. Something they very much need. Parekh being a right shot defender who brings so much offense would be a no brainer to select.

Zeev Buium is a left-handed version of what Parekh is with a little better skating and defense. He too is a no brainer for a team like the flyers with an inept powerplay.

Sam Dickenson is an all around very good two way defenseman. He brings a lot of offense with a really good shot and very good skating and size and plays a solid defensive game. He can play all game long, 5 on 5, 4 on 4, 3 on 3, PP and PK. He will probably be gone, but if he is there and Berkly Catton is not, I believe the Flyers will grab him. I can see several teams ahead of the Flyers wanting him too.

That brings us to the final 4, Berkly Catton, Carter Yakemchuk, Cole Eiserman, and Konsta Helenius.

Catton is exactly what the Flyers need, skill, skill, skill, speed, motor, and IQ. The only reason he would be available to the Flyers is the only reason he is not a perfect player. He is small and skinny. That said, he is very elusive. He is fast and shifty and thinks the game at a high level. One could give him very high to elite ratings in every category but physicality.

Carter Yakemchik is a big strong physical defenseman with a booming shot. The Flyers would live his size, aggressiveness and ability to run the PP. His only downside is that his IQ is only OK and he is prone to over aggressiveness and some defensive mistakes. He would be a player the Flyers would covet behind Catton.

Cole Eiserman is a pure scorer with decent size who is not afraid of physical play. He has a great shot, a money shot and would instantly up the offensive output of any team and help improve the PP. He is a good skater and can make plays, but he really is a heavy shoot first player. He would be a strong pick for a team like the Flyers who are lacking high end skill. His warts are defensive play and maybe some selfishness.

Konsta Helenius is a very well rounded smallish two way center with a very high IQ and motor. He has good skill and is an average to slightly above average skater. He is probably more of a number two center with a floor at number 3.

RW Beckett Senecke, C Michale Hage, and D Adam Juricek are probably the next three and any of them could crack the top 14 if a team was really high on them. I actually like Hage more than Helenius as I think he has more upside, is a little bigger and is a better skater. Senecke is a hot riser much like Inginla. Teams do go for those guys. Jircek was injured this year but was highly regarded and some team may still see him as they did befo

Wangstar

Apr 2, 2023
Catton or Dickinson could be avail at 12. Parekh will go to Utah. That’s what they need. Calgary will take Iginla jr if avail. Seattle will take Silayev. Yakenchuk could also be a pk. He needs work on defensive coverage.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
you know who is to blame..who ever let there be a triumvirate...that neutered Danny and gave Torts too much say

Reactions: renberg

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I’m easily swayed. If I read positive and glowing analyses of a player, I think “this is the guy we should get”. If I read harsh criticism of a player I think “we should avoid this guy”. I’m swinging back and forth on every player

Reactions: BernieParent

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I’m easily swayed. If I read positive and glowing analyses of a player, I think “this is the guy we should get”. If I read harsh criticism of a player I think “we should avoid this guy”. I’m swinging back and forth on every player

john-travolta-opinion.gif

I won't ever really watch any of these kids until they hit the NHL. Hell, maybe not even then at the rate things are going.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
"I'm going to say they drafted well because after one season nobody can dispute that, even though I have no idea if they have drafted well or not"
I would say leaving the first round last year with Michkov and Bonk is enough to give us as fans excitement. Not sure where you'd find an argument there, nor why. Yeah, we don't know if they panned out yet, but their D+1 years, the only observable information we have, appears to be positive.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I would say leaving the first round last year with Michkov and Bonk is enough to give us as fans excitement. Not sure where you'd find an argument there, nor why. Yeah, we don't know if they panned out yet, but their D+1 years, the only observable information we have, appears to be positive.
Yeah you could say that about the Flyers and every other team with a first rounder. Saying you can be excited is one thing. Saying they have drafted well is entirely different.

That's the whole point of what I said, we will have no idea if they drafted well last year until about 2027.

Reactions: Sombastate

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
The one write up is a little funny as its kind of an eye roll. "... Silayev has the potential to be a special offensive player, and if he can add that dimension to his game." Really?!!?! if he can add being a special offensive player to his game then he will be a special offensive player.

My question is (And this isn't rhetorical, I'd love any actual examples) when do these "If they can just figure the offensive side out" prospects ever actually figure out the offensive side?

Conversely, there is also the question of how much we can truly be ruling out the offensive side of a kid who just played an entire season on defense at 17 in the KHL. Of course the "offensive side" isn't blowing anyone away yet. What he did this year is still borderline unprecedented.

Silayev is probably the one relief I have about not picking top 10. If he is there at 12, I won't be crushed to see us take a major swing on him, but I would be fretting if he was on our radar with a higher pick.

I think this is all moot anyway, though. Briere won't have to make this choice. Some team is rightfully going to swing for the fences with him before he drops to 12.

JustJeff

Mar 4, 2023
I will be shocked if the flyers don't draft Sam O'Reilly, say with pick 51. I'm getting some serious Garnet Hathaway vibes from him.

Reactions: Chuck Downie

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
I haven't seen him at all, I was mostly being hyperbolic given their past tendencies. I did look at some vids on the kid in the past hour and its his first step that's problematic, maybe due to size, but his edgework looks good.
Then he will fit right in with the othr 12-15 Flyers who are always 3 feet behind...

Tarpongg

#fakerebuild
May 26, 2012
My question is (And this isn't rhetorical, I'd love any actual examples) when do these "If they can just figure the offensive side out" prospects ever actually figure out the offensive side?

Conversely, there is also the question of how much we can truly be ruling out the offensive side of a kid who just played an entire season on defense at 17 in the KHL. Of course the "offensive side" isn't blowing anyone away yet. What he did this year is still borderline unprecedented.

Silayev is probably the one relief I have about not picking top 10. If he is there at 12, I won't be crushed to see us take a major swing on him, but I would be fretting if he was on our radar with a higher pick.

I think this is all moot anyway, though. Briere won't have to make this choice. Some team is rightfully going to swing for the fences with him before he drops to 12.

I really don’t think this could happen but…To unlock another fear, Button’s latest mock has Jett Luchanko to the Flyers. I know it’s only Button, but the Flyers do have a bit of history with surprise late riser picks 🤣

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Brandsegg-Nygard or Iginla. Hage is pretty good too.

I guess Catton is in there too since McKenzie had him at 11.

What’s the deal with Connelly? Talent there but some off ice stuff scare teams away?

Would trying to move up with the second pick for a Kiviharju be a decent gamble? I remember hearing that name buts he’s fallen off it seems.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Catton or Dickinson could be avail at 12. Parekh will go to Utah. That’s what they need. Calgary will take Iginla jr if avail. Seattle will take Silayev. Yakenchuk could also be a pk. He needs work on defensive coverage.

I think Seattle takes Dickinson at 8. He seems like the safe pick, and Francis is a pretty conservative GM who is running out of time to produce results.

Reactions: dats81

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
What’s the deal with Connelly? Talent there but some off ice stuff scare teams away?

That's exactly what the deal is. I think he's a top 10 player but if you think he's a bad person then he's off your board.

Would trying to move up with the second pick for a Kiviharju be a decent gamble? I remember hearing that name buts he’s fallen off it seems.

Don't want anything to do with Kiviharju. Maybe he makes me look like an idiot but I think he's a bottom pair/tweener guy.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I have a decent feeling about Helenius based on nothing but the fact that he projects well as a center with solid skill who’s already had success in a men’s league. I feel like he’s got a low maintenance game that would pair well with Michkov.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I really don’t think this could happen but…To unlock another fear, Button’s latest mock has Jett Luchanko to the Flyers. I know it’s only Button, but the Flyers do have a bit of history with surprise late riser picks 🤣
Luchanko's the guy i want with the FLA pick, but @ 12 that would be insane.

i have a feeling Catton's gonna slip out of the top 10. not so much because of anything he did, just that so many others seem to be rising past him.

if Catton is there @ 12 and they do something stupid like draft another RW like Greentree i will lose it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad