Status
Not open for further replies.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Laughton > Vorobyev for 3C.

Change my mind.

(And no it's not because I've had the same avatar for like a 4 years. I don't have a personal preference, just objectively, Vorobyev is not currently a better player nor does he project to be significantly better than Laughton already is.)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Charlie also said Weal might get a shot at 3C. Hopefully in a line up that looks something like this:

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Weal-Simmonds
Raffl-Laughton-NAK
Weise, Leier

Lehtera in the AHL.

Reactions: flyersfan187

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Charlie also said Weal might get a shot at 3C. Hopefully in a line up that looks something like this:

Giroux-Couturier-Konecny
JVR-Patrick-Voracek
Lindblom-Weal-Simmonds
Raffl-Laughton-NAK
Weise, Leier

Lehtera in the AHL.
I think his concussion set him back a good bit, but I’d rather not have him there.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Just an fyi for those who follow jersey numbers.

37861566_944179659095671_2516094865377329152_n.jpg

James van Riemsdyk will be wearing number 25 with the Philadelphia Flyers.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Is Weal really a credible alternative for the 3C spot? He seems barely talented enough to play the wing in the NHL.

When they played him at center last year I thought he looks really good. also he has played center his whole career and only wing at the NHL level

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Maybe I’m overreacting, but JVR looks out of shape in that photo.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Don't forget this guy

See, that's the kind of commitment to the team that does honor to Stanley Cup Champion Shjon Podein's hallowed number twenty-five. If you dare to wear that number you better be giving up a testicle, at minimum.

And lest anyone get the wrong idea and think I'm belittling him, Shjon Podein is one of my all time favorite Flyers.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Laughton > Vorobyev for 3C.

Change my mind.

(And no it's not because I've had the same avatar for like a 4 years. I don't have a personal preference, just objectively, Vorobyev is not currently a better player nor does he project to be significantly better than Laughton already is.)

Ummm, no you clearly have a personal preference. No objectivity.

For a guy who has never, or barely ever, seen him play you have a very vocal opinion on Vorobyev.

You show a lot of confidence in a guy who went from full-time NHL player to full-time AHL the next season. Then back to the NHL the following year where he lost his PK spot to Torgo and Filp. By the playoffs he wasn't even playing center.

Laughton is 3 years older than Vorobyev. If Vorobyev is suffering a similar fate in 3 years I'll eat my hat.

Laughton scored .65 pts/game in his most recent AHL season with his most common linemate as Taylor Leier and big minute 1C duties from day 1.

Vorobyev just scored at .5 pts/game while starting low in the lineup, with limited minutes, and little production at the start. All the while having Fazleev as his most common linemate who finished very low in possession rankings this year. Even so, Vorobyev finished very high.

Go re-read his interview from a month or so ago. Misha could not speak english. He did not even have confidence to shoot the puck. This is a player who improved leaps and bounds as he grew even a little comfortable. What improvement has Laughton displayed?

By the end of the year we were seeing the real Vorobyev. Anyone who watched regularly saw he's a smart player, a legit playmaker, and has the chops to handle the defensive rigors of playing center. He is what a bottom/middle 6 center is supposed to look like.

Laughton is a forechecking, straight ahead, tunnel visioned forward. His skillset doesn't even lend itself to that of a center. He has no future at center in this organization. He's 24 years old and the GM is talking up Jordan Weal over him. A player who can barely crack the lineup and is the antithesis of what they look for in a center.

The only other level of play we have to compare the two is World Juniors and that's not even close. Misha showed up and produced. Laughton didn't. Even with the 'C' on his chest. Canada got eliminated in the quarterfinal. Russia was a shootout away from beating a beast USA team in the semifinal. A shootout where Misha buried one. Then went on to win bronze the next day. Obviously, the WJC experience isn't the be all, end all, but I bring it up as a rare data point they both share.

I don't know man. This really doesn't seem like a tough choice. You really just have to watch the games imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad