Line Combos: 2017-18 Lineup

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Q. This roster when fully healthy is 24 players. 20 players that dress, 4 healthy scratches. The scratches right now project to be Gionta, Wingels, Holden and McQuaid. A team is only allowed 23 players on the active roster.

How is Sweeney going to address this? I fear he will put one of the waiver-exempt players in the AHL. This would most likely be Grzelcyk or Kuraly (or Acciari, if he too is exempt).

Someone has to go. Who is it going to be?

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Q. This roster when fully healthy is 24 players. 20 players that dress, 4 healthy scratches. The scratches right now project to be Gionta, Wingels, Holden and McQuaid. A team is only allowed 23 players on the active roster.

How is Sweeney going to address this? I fear he will put one of the waiver-exempt players in the AHL. This would most likely be Grzelcyk or Kuraly (or Acciari, if he too is exempt).

No one has to go as long as they stay under the cap. Rosters become unlimited after the trade deadline.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Answer: nobody.
Trade deadline has passed:

The 23-man roster limit is in place from the conclusion of the preseason until 12:01 am on the day of the NHL’s Trade Deadline. After that teams are allowed to have an unlimited active roster at the NHL level, provided players are signed to one of their 50 contract slots. NHL teams are only allowed to dress a maximum of 20 players – 18 skaters and two goaltenders – for any given game, but those 20 must come from the 23-player active roster.

Reactions: 5Jack0

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I know its arguably the best line in hockey, however this topic has come up before in terms of "spreading the wealth"-

IF Debrusk-Krejci-Nash cant get it going after X amount of games, aside from swapping Heinen in for Debrusk, maybe look at swapping Nash and Pasta?

The only issue with this is, Krejci and Pasta almost seem to pass the puck TOO much when they've been on a line together in recent history.

Additionally I also look at this as separating two slower skaters in Nash and Krejci.

Just spit ballin'

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I know its arguably the best line in hockey, however this topic has come up before in terms of "spreading the wealth"-

IF Debrusk-Krejci-Nash cant get it going after X amount of games, aside from swapping Heinen in for Debrusk, maybe look at swapping Nash and Pasta?

The only issue with this is, Krejci and Pasta almost seem to pass the puck TOO much when they've been on a line together in recent history.

Additionally I also look at this as separating two slower skaters in Nash and Krejci.

Just spit ballin'

Yes

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA

Just spit ballin'
Another idea could be a Nash-Krejci-Backes line... an attempt to recreate the Lucic-Krejci-Horton/Iginla lines of the past. I know it's the three slowest guys together, but I bet they'd be one heck of dominate line in terms of puck possession.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Another idea could be a Nash-Krejci-Backes line... an attempt to recreate the Lucic-Krejci-Horton/Iginla lines of the past. I know it's the three slowest guys together, but I bet they'd be one heck of dominate line in terms of puck possession.
I’d be hesitant to take DeBrusk off the 2nd line, kid is locked in right now

JHockey14

Mar 7, 2008
CT
When healthy how about:

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
DeBrusk Krejci Nash
Heinen Backes Donato
Wings Nash Kuraly

Top 2 lines are set. That's one hell of a fourth line where you could rotate Accari or Schaller in and create all sorts of match up problems in playoffs. The 3rd line is the wild card. Can the kids get Backes going ala last year's playoffs? Will Donato be ready? Can Backes still play center?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
This forward group (all healthy) reminds me a lot of 2011. The healthy lineup has that "don't touch ANYTHING" vibe to it where you know exactly where everyone should slot in and hesitate to change anything unless you absolutely need to. Rick Nash is the wildcard, but there's no reason he shouldn't work with Krejci. Wingels is the one who throws a wrench in it, but he realistically will win the job from Acciari.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Until Donato signs, it's hard to insert him into the lineup. Hell, even if he signs, it's hard to put him in. Everyone healthy, I'd like to see:

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Nash
Heinen -- Nash -- Backes
Schaller -- Kuraly -- Wingels

Extras: Acciari, Gionta

Reactions: Thrive

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Hope McAvoy injury is nothing serious... especially its not a torn mcl or something like that

If Charlie can't play next game... I'm guessing the D lineup looks like

Chara Carlo
Krug Miller
Grz Holden

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Gionta with 3pts in 2 games. Should be interested if he come out when everyone is healthy. I would think he would and Nash would go back to centering the third line. If he stays in, I could see this.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Krejci-Nash
Heinen-Backes-Gionta
Kurlay-Nash-Wingels

Reactions: PlayMakers

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Hope McAvoy injury is nothing serious... especially its not a torn mcl or something like that

If Charlie can't play next game... I'm guessing the D lineup looks like

Chara Carlo
Krug Miller
Grz Holden
I would go...

Chara-Gryz......
Krug-Miller
Carlo-Holden..........

I think Chara having McAvoy and his coverage and breakout pass ability has helped ease his workload and having Gryz do that for Chara keeps him fresh....Plus we now know Gryz can handle it....I am not afraid of him being overmatched because he can retrieve and distribute quickly.....I would try that...

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
so with Backes suspended...

Marchy-Nash-Pasta
DeBruck-Krejci-Nash
Heinen-Wingles-Gionta
Schaller-Kuraly-Acciari

or do we slot someone in from Providence?

Also, who gets the A while Backes and Bergy are both out? My pick would be Krug.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
so with Backes suspended...

Marchy-Nash-Pasta
DeBruck-Krejci-Nash
Heinen-Wingles-Gionta
Schaller-Kuraly-Acciari

or do we slot someone in from Providence?

Also, who gets the A while Backes and Bergy are both out? My pick would be Krug.
I would say Krejci gets the A.

I like moving Wingels up to 3C especially for the first game. It would be good to bring a guy up and try to get him in the lineup against Chicago at home. Possibly on the road on the back end of the home and home depending on how the first game goes.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I would say Krejci gets the A.

I like moving Wingels up to 3C especially for the first game. It would be good to bring a guy up and try to get him in the lineup against Chicago at home. Possibly on the road on the back end of the home and home depending on how the first game goes.
Krecji's already got one of the A's

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Would be interested in seeing Czarnik get recalled. Yes, I know he'll be a UFA if we do but if the team is going for a Cup this year all these points matter more than next year.

Marchand-Nash-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Nash
Heinen-Czarnik-Gionta
Schaller-Kuraly-Wingles

Chara-Carlo
Krug-Holden
Gryz-Miller

Slot Czarnik in on the powerplay and let's get the offense going!

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Would be interested in seeing Czarnik get recalled. Yes, I know he'll be a UFA if we do but if the team is going for a Cup this year all these points matter more than next year.

Marchand-Nash-Pastrnak
DeBrusk-Krejci-Nash
Heinen-Czarnik-Gionta
Schaller-Kuraly-Wingles

Chara-Carlo
Krug-Holden
Gryz-Miller

Slot Czarnik in on the powerplay and let's get the offense going!
At this point Czar is likely going to be an UFA regardless, he needs to play a certain number of games to not reach UFA and I'm not sure its even possible at this point for him to play those games. He will have to pass through waivers if he plays another game though so if he is recalled he would likely have to stay on the team, which I would like but I think it may be an issue cap wise.

Reactions: wintersej

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
When bergeron comes back would it be insane to break him and marchand in order to create 3 lines?

Leave nash with marchand and pastrnak

Leave krecji, nash, debrusk alone

Slip bergeron in with backes and heinen or gionta

Our 4th line is a great 4th line

Bergeron is good enough he elevates a line all by himself... and marchand/pastrnak have better chemistry between the 2 of them without bergeron

We can always put Marchand back with bergeron for pk and if we are protecting leads

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
When bergeron comes back would it be insane to break him and marchand in order to create 3 lines?

Leave nash with marchand and pastrnak

Leave krecji, nash, debrusk alone

Slip bergeron in with backes and heinen or gionta

Our 4th line is a great 4th line

Bergeron is good enough he elevates a line all by himself... and marchand/pastrnak have better chemistry between the 2 of them without bergeron

We can always put Marchand back with bergeron for pk and if we are protecting leads
I kind of like this idea. The Marchand-Nash-Pasta line is firing all cylinders right now, and Heinen-Bergeron-Backes could be a great shutdown line come playoff time. They could match up against other team's top lines, and that would create a matchup nightmare for opponents who now have to shut down our other two scoring lines. I see this as being similar to the way Pittsburg uses Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel on different lines.

Reactions: Thrive

mmk

Sep 5, 2014
Marchand-Nash-Pasta
Heinen-Krejci-Rick
DeBrusk-Wingels-Gionta
Schaller-Kuraly-Acciari

Butch switched JDB and Heinen last night and this move really seemed to reinvigorate Heinen. He had a few sweet setups. I think Heinen and Krejci should be kept together as they both seem to think the game the same way, with Nash being the trigger man.

JDB, while talented, much more fits in the mold of a 3rd line energy guy anyways. The only issue we’ll have when all our forwards are back is to decide what to do with wingels and Gionta. My guess is that they’ll be rotating into acciari’s spot.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Until Donato signs, it's hard to insert him into the lineup. Hell, even if he signs, it's hard to put him in. Everyone healthy, I'd like to see:

Marchand -- Bergeron -- Pastrnak
DeBrusk -- Krejci -- Nash
Heinen -- Nash -- Backes
Schaller -- Kuraly -- Wingels

Extras: Acciari, Gionta

I'd give him a game or two if he signs and see how he does (I'm sure we'll have to promise that to get him to sign this year), but expecting anything from Donato this year is a bad idea.

Fully healthy you don't touch 63/46/88...I think you also don't touch 46/61 but you can subsitute Heinen/Debrusk on that line if it needs a shake up.

I agree with your lines but I'm definitely ok with switching the bottom six around if it needs it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad