Line Combos: 2017-18 Lineup

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Cehlarik and Bjork have had tough seasons.... Put them on the shelf or trade them. Either way, it has no effect on this team.

In my eyes it is pretty simple what this lineup should be. First we need to not mess a lot with it, Just tweak it.

Spooner and Miller, as much as i like them are the two that need to go. 1- they are marketable and two they combine for like 5 million dollars which we need. Both are solid players who are well liked. They will be missed. That said, lets package Miller with a pick or player and upgrade RW.

Marchand-Bergy-Pasta......This is fine. But can be flexed. Pasta really is the flex guy.
Henien--Krejci- REPLACEMENT...It was obvious that Krejci instantly better when Backes moved up. He stays with Nash. Upgrade 46.
DeBrusk-Nash-Backes......
Acciari-Kuraly-Schaller

Spooner/Czarnik/

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-REPLACEMENT....I hold hope we can get McD......That said, we need a top 4 tough grizzled playoff warrior here.
Carlo-Gryz...........Vanilla soft but they have talent. Situational guys throughout the playoffs.
McQUAID/HOLDEN...We know what McQuaid can do. Neither guy here should see the playoff ice.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
do I get to be the first to put up the fantasy line combos with the 2 new guys in place? ill do it lw to rw just to make everyone happy with the formatting

marchand/Bergeron/pastrnak
debrusk/krejci/nash
heinen/nash/backes
schaller/kuraly/accari
czarik

chara/mcavoy
krug/carlo
holden/miller
grezelyck/mcquaid

rask
khubodin

are these our 2018 Stanley cup winners?

I vote yes, make it so

Reactions: Trizz617

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
do I get to be the first to put up the fantasy line combos with the 2 new guys in place? ill do it lw to rw just to make everyone happy with the formatting

marchand/Bergeron/pastrnak
debrusk/krejci/nash
heinen/nash/backes
schaller/kuraly/accari
czarik

chara/mcavoy
krug/carlo
holden/miller
grezelyck/mcquaid

rask
khubodin

are these our 2018 Stanley cup winners?

I vote yes, make it so
This is a solid and steady lineup with pieces that can be moved up and down a lineup for flexibility's/depth sake.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think it's obvious to just slot him in Spooner's place. No reason to alter anything else.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Sweeney has done a fantastic job of giving Cassidy the ability to mix and match both up front and on defense.

If for example the Bruins want to play a heavier lineup up front, you can slide Nash over to left wing and elevate Backes on the right side...or go to a heavier line like Backes/Kuraly combination from last year. If one of the rookies on the left side struggles, again Nash can play both sides and Gionta can step in to play RW.

On defense if you need the bigger lineup you put in Holden and they still have McQuaid too.

Now to see how Donato fits in. (feels good to write that!).

This team can play it any way now.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
If the offense continues to struggle it might be worth trying something like.

Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
Heinen-Krejci-Nash
Debrusk-Kuraly-Backes
Schaller-Nash-Acciari

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Nash
Backes - Nash - Heinen
Schaller - Kuraly - Wingles

Not bad...

giphy.gif

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I still don't think that Nash is a third-line center, but there's no real alternative.
I think Kuraly might fit in there depending on how the lines are constructed, who also isn't a 3rd line center but showed he can be in a pinch last years playoffs. I don't think Debrusk is the right wing for Krejci, if him and Heinen swap spots I could see Kuraly perhaps being a better fit for Debrusk as a speedier guy. I don't think JFK is going to be seen this year, I would like for Donato to play some center in Providence to see how he can do as a professional playing center but it sounds like MGMT sees him as a winger.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
I still wish 3rd line center is the spot we focused on upgrading but whatever, hopefully it all works out.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I still wish 3rd line center is the spot we focused on upgrading but whatever, hopefully it all works out.

It's not likely but it's also not out of the realm of possibility that Donato signs and fills that role better than Nash. Again, it's likely that even if he does sign they wouldn't thrust that role on him, but you never know.

And I'll use this opportunity to once again point out that the Backes signing continues to plague this team. I'll give him credit for bouncing back this year and certainly earning a good portion of his salary, but you have to assume Sweeney felt like this guy was either 2RW or 3C. His inability to play 3C is a major bummer.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
It's not likely but it's also not out of the realm of possibility that Donato signs and fills that role better than Nash. Again, it's likely that even if he does sign they wouldn't thrust that role on him, but you never know.

And I'll use this opportunity to once again point out that the Backes signing continues to plague this team. I'll give him credit for bouncing back this year and certainly earning a good portion of his salary, but you have to assume Sweeney felt like this guy was either 2RW or 3C. His inability to play 3C is a major bummer.
Yeah for sure. I'm not going to lament Backes because he has been playing solid hockey and his contract isn't too out there, but it would be nice for sure if he could play center in this system, its not an ideal contract for a 3rd line RW.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Marchand - Bergeron - Pastrnak
DeBrusk - Krejci - Nash
Backes - Nash - Heinen
Schaller - Kuraly - Wingles

Not bad...

giphy.gif

That's the 12 for sure, IMHO obviously, but I really think that 3rd line needs a tweak. There is no speed on that line. First line is perfect as is. 2nd line has Debrusk for speed, and Nash as an above average guy which helps the slow motion that is the Matrix. Heinen doesn't have the same jump, and to be fair Nash and Backes have looked older/slower in the last few weeks. Maybe it's not necessarily Heinen but the slip in play of Nash that is hurting that line. Do you bump up Kuraly because he's fast as f***, tenacious and he will create opportunities that Heinen/Backes can bury? Or do you not because you love what your 4th line brings. Maybe because Wingels can skate/hit/forecheck effectively that makes them more comfortable to lose Kuralys speed from that line. It'll be interesting.

63-37-88
74-46-61
43-52-42
59-20-Wingels

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I could see this happening

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Heinen Krejci Nash (bc Heinen is a better passer than Debrusk)
Debrusk Nash Backes
Schaller Kulary Wingels
Gionta Acciari

Chara McAvoy
Krug Carlo
Grz Miller
Holden Mcquaid

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Come playoffs I think we roll with what was working for the D for most of this year:

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz-Miller
Holden-McQuaid

Until that point, I think we rotate everybody in and out of the line up to keep everyone rested and at game speed.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I could see this happening

Marchand Bergeron Pasta
Heinen Krejci Nash (bc Heinen is a better passer than Debrusk)
Debrusk Nash Backes
Schaller Kulary Wingels
Gionta Acciari

Chara McAvoy
Krug Carlo
Grz Miller
Holden Mcquaid

something still not quite right about Debrusk-Nash-Backes. Can't put my finger on it. Other 3 lines seem pretty darn solid.

Also why do people always call him Kulary?

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
something still not quite right about Debrusk-Nash-Backes. Can't put my finger on it. Other 3 lines seem pretty darn solid.

Also why do people always call him Kulary?
I think the line would need the speed of Kuraly in place of Nash, but I could see that line working. Backes and Kuraly have shown they can be effective together in a line and Debrusk would provide more offense than Schaller could ever dream of. It would be defensively responsible, hard hitting, and productive enough for a 3rd line.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

I don't disagree but what can ya do? I think getting Nash was a bigger need and after giving up all that it took to get him im not sure it was worth it.

Not to mention we have Donato/JFK/Frederic coming along soon so I bet they werent looking for a long term solution.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
ironically with Bergeron out its the best time to have spooner still with the team :)

now what will we do for center? will krejci get a chance with marchand? will backes or heinen get tried at center? will we go with wingles at center? could jfk get called up? does this give donato a good reason to turn pro?

my thoughts

pastrnak/marchand probably have more chemistry when Bergeron isn't there... so leave them together... and I suggest give them nash as their center since they don't need much help except defensively

leave krecji with nash... the 2 of them need time to develop chemistry. I might start trying other guys on the left wing just to see what works. try gionta when hes ready. try heinen for sure.

kuraly can move up to the third line with backes. these 2 have had good chemistry in the past. let debrusk try his luck here and see if he can start scoring again. if not gionta could try out here

4th line... schaller stays here... wingles plays here... and then who? is accari healthy again? does gionta or debrusk end up here? does czarik get the call up?

without Bergeron the options we have start looking a lot less cup worthy... but it will be nice to try some stuff. see what works. mostly need to cross our fingers that Bergeron comes back healthy asap

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00