• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
It's truly amazing how the first number being a 6 instead of a 5 changes the perception.

Iginla is 6'0, he's not overtly physical and he's not linebacker sized like Leonard.

He's one inch taller than Catton and Demidov. One inch. You'd ask your hair dresser for a refund if all they took off was one inch.

+1

For example..

1714776863407.png

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
It's truly amazing how the first number being a 6 instead of a 5 changes the perception.

Iginla is 6'0, he's not overtly physical and he's not linebacker sized like Leonard.

He's one inch taller than Catton and Demidov. One inch. You'd ask your hair dresser for a refund if all they took off was one inch.
One inch and what about the weight?
Iginla 185 lbs
Catton 170 lbs
Demidov 168 lbs

You write Iginla is not overly physical and then what ?? What does it means ?
You rather have a not physical player vs a physical player who is not overly physical?

This board will all agree that Marner is not the type of player a team wants in PO. And Marner is probably an overall better player than what will become Demidov, Catton and a lot of skilled smallish players. So you prefer an half-Marner vs an half Jarome Iginla, lol?

This board is so accustomed with Timmins picks that this board continue to think like he did and suggest to pick Galchenyuk 2.0, Andrigetto 2.0 and Ben Maxwell 2.0.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Iginla 185 lbs
Catton 170 lbs
Demidov 168 lbs

You rather have a not physical player vs a physical player who is not overly physical?

This board will all agree that Marner is not the type of player a team wants in PO. And Marner is probably an overall better player than what will become Demidov, Catton and a lot of skilled smallish players. So you prefer an half-Marner vs an half Jarome Iginla, lol?

This board is so accustomed with Timmins picks that this board continue to think like he did and suggest to pick Galchenyuk 2.0, Andrigetto 2.0 and Ben Maxwell 2.0.

Marner's problem isn't the size of his body.

Marner's problem is the size of his heart.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Iginla 185 lbs
Catton 170 lbs
Demidov 168 lbs

Catton is 175 now. Weight will be put on by these players over time. Iginla is not this big power forward. He's getting a reputation from his dad that he doesn't actually have.

What I'm saying is that Iginla doesn't throw big hits. He isn't mean. He isn't nasty. He's a skilled shooter, he's not soft and he goes to the net, but that's the extent of it.

Demidov does the same thing. If you want big physical players then yeah Lindstrom is that guy, not Iginla.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Marner's problem isn't the size of his body.

Marner's problem is the size of his heart.
I could agree with that but that doesn't mean the small players people wants to draft have the size of the heart of Joe Sakic. For example if Tyj Inginla herited some of his father's heart and leadership, Habs might have an important piece of the puzzle. Tyj Iginlka is knowned to be an hard working player. He have great hands and his skating is ok. He is also very strong on his skates.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Catton is 175 now. Weight will be put on by these players over time. Iginla is not this big power forward. He's getting a reputation from his dad that he doesn't actually have.

What I'm saying is that Iginla doesn't throw big hits. He isn't mean. He isn't nasty. He's a skilled shooter, he's not soft and he goes to the net, but that's the extent of it.

Demidov does the same thing. If you want big physical players then yeah Lindstrom is that guy, not Iginla.
In other words don't count out Catton because he isn't that big yet.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

I agree with Lindstrom but I doubt very much he'll be available. Unless Habs gets the 3rd pick. Iginla is the second Lindstrom in the draft.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Man, May 5th can't come fast enough. It will be nice to know where we're slotted to draft heading into the draft.

Reactions: bsl

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Iginla 185 lbs
Catton 170 lbs
Demidov 168 lbs

Nothing to do with size

Can you talk to me about Auston Matthews and Joe Thornton play in the playoffs....

Actually Marner has even a bit more sucess than Matthews in the playoffs imagine.

It is so easy to bring everything about size but history is clear...some of the best players in NHL history in the playoffs were not physical beast

St Louis
Sakic
Kucherov
Yzerman
Naslund
Fleury

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
He's not though, he's not big and he's not physical and he's not mean.
Iginla isn't physical? He's one of the strongest board players in this class already, he shields the puck extremely well and is one of the heaviest players on the puck. That is what physical means in modern day NHL terms. I'm sorry but saying Iginla isn't physical is just flat out wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: ryan callahan

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Lookong at it from the outside, we tend to think, who do we want, the small slick guy or the big power forward. Because some of us don't really know who is actually the more elite player at what they do, we think on terms of let's draft he player who has more of the skill set we need.

But, the better question is still, who is going to be more elite at what they do? That's not a question I for one can answer between Catron, Demidov, Lindstrom, and Iginla. Sure I would love the next Slaf/Nikushin. But we're not potentially drafting Nikushin or Slaf. We're potentially drafting Lindstrom. So the scouting team has to look into how good he'll actually be, as they did when they compared Slaf, Wright, and Cooley. Our present needs are secondary. If after the deep dive, our scouts find Catton is the next Patrick Kane and Lindstrom is the next PLD, they know who to take, regardless of player style and size.

The thing is they all are talented, but they all bring significantly different games. It's going to come down to interviews, and how HuGo thinks each particular kid can contribute to Montreal's future success, and how they want to build the team.

Imo, Celebrini is #1. Demidov #2, but Lindstrom, Iginla & Catton are sort of tied. Each has potential for growth in their games, but they all play vastly different games, too.

I have a preference for Iginla, because I like his game, but we'll see what Montreal does.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Iginla isn't physical? He's one of the strongest board players in this class already, he shields the puck extremely well and is one of the heaviest players on the puck. That is what physical means in modern day NHL terms. I'm sorry but saying Iginla isn't physical is just flat out wrong.

I'm not going to fight over the interpretation of the word physical and how it relates to hockey now vs 5 years ago.

He's not throwing hits. He's not inflicting pain out there.

The level of contact he initiates out there is not drastically different than a Catton or Demidov. So that one inch difference doesn't mean a thing. He's an average sized skilled forward. He's not pops.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I could agree with that but that doesn't mean the small players people wants to draft have the size of the heart of Joe Sakic. For example if Tyj Inginla herited some of his father's heart and leadership, Habs might have an important piece of the puzzle. Tyj Iginlka is knowned to be an hard working player. He have great hands and his skating is ok. He is also very strong on his skates.

We have to be very careful with Iginla...

He is NOT his father, he is his own person, and must be drafted based on that alone.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Suzuki is similar to what you're describing and I wouldn't call him a physical player. I think iginla can have the qualities you're listing but it doesn't make him physical in the usual sense.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The thing is they all are talented, but they all bring significantly different games. It's going to come down to interviews, and how HuGo thinks each particular kid can contribute to Montreal's future success, and how they want to build the team.

Imo, Celebrini is #1. Demidov #2, but Lindstrom, Iginla & Catton are sort of tied. Each has potential for growth in their games, but they all play vastly different games, too.

I have a preference for Iginla, because I like his game, but we'll see what Montreal does.

So far, with Slaf, it looks like they got the best pkayer between Slaf, Wright, and Cooley. Sure we could have used a potential great C in Wright, or a skilled guy like Coowly, just as we could have used a power forward. But I like the Slaf pick because she's looking like the best pkayer at what he does so far. And most people heading into the draft thought that was Wright. So the fan and media hype isn't enough for me to rank the players.

We could have said that Slaf, Wright, and Cooley are all talented heading into that draft, so just take the biggest center since big centers are the most valuable commodity. But it looks like HuGo found the most impactful player regardless of position.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So far, with Slaf, it looks like they got the best pkayer between Slaf, Wright, and Cooley. Sure we could have used a potential great C in Wright, or a skilled guy like Coowly, just as we could have used a power forward. But I like the Slaf pick because she's looking like the best pkayer at what he does so far. And most people heading into the draft thought that was Wright. So the fan and media hype isn't enough for me to rank the players.

We could have said that Slaf, Wright, and Cooley are all talented heading into that draft, so just take the biggest center since big centers are the most valuable commodity. But it looks like HuGo found the most impactful player regardless of position.

I never liked Wright, but Slafkovsky, Cooley or Nemec were all legit considerations at #1 that year. It's like this year. They are vastly different players, so it really comes down to team building. Any one of those 3 would have been fine at #1, although I had a preference for Slafkovsky. My preference now is Iginla, but I don't feel like there's a wrong pick either.

Reactions: Redux91 and 26Mats

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Might as well vote other, Habs seem to be really interested in Beckett Sennecke (although I really hope it's not with our first pick) .

Reactions: Tyson

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Nothing to do with size

Can you talk to me about Auston Matthews and Joe Thornton play in the playoffs....

Actually Marner has even a bit more sucess than Matthews in the playoffs imagine.

It is so easy to bring everything about size but history is clear...some of the best players in NHL history in the playoffs were not physical beast

St Louis
Sakic
Kucherov
Yzerman
Naslund
Fleury
I'm not saying size is everything. I see SC Teams winners using size at their advantage. They have few small players fitting in as well. Hockey is a team sport. Matthews is an excellent player but the Leafs have a structure problem. Their team is not built for the modern PO style. I beleive in well balanced teams, unless we have a super talent like Mario Lemieux, Syd Crosby or McDavid, a super talent who is also a very good leader. One of my all time favorite player is Mark Messier..

The problem with Toronto is too complex to be resumed in a post like this. It have something to do with their arrogance and the way they think they are better than they actually are.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I'm not going to fight over the interpretation of the word physical and how it relates to hockey now vs 5 years ago.

He's not throwing hits. He's not inflicting pain out there.

The level of contact he initiates out there is not drastically different than a Catton or Demidov. So that one inch difference doesn't mean a thing. He's an average sized skilled forward. He's not pops.
This is just wrong. Iginla initiates contact WITH the puck because he is so adept at shielding the puck and his strength for his size is insane. One of his best assets is shielding the puck along the wall and creating plays towards the inside.

Iginla's game is one of the most projectable games in this draft class because he plays a pro style game. He is physical, saying he isn't is nonsense.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I can’t argue with you. Both would be excellent picks.

I just like the snap of Iginla’s game. You can see that he would be effective playing intense hockey against heavy teams.
I hear ya.

It could depend on fit. Line mates, who else they will add, etc …

Head to head, I’d have a hard time passing on Catton’s talent. I’d build around him. If they have to surround him with Dach and Slaf, fine.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Marner getting flack over playoff success when he's been great in the past 2 games while Matthews is out with an ''illness'' is crazy to me. He's still been one of Toronto's most dangerous forwards in the 1st round. Matthews is getting no talk when he should be getting all of it.

Reactions: admiralcadillac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad