OT: 2016 Rio Summer Olympics

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
What a jackass Lochte is.

Let's see, I got drunk and vandalized a gas station. Made to pay for some damages.

How can I spin this little story in my head, twist it into something that makes me look tough, or heroic, or some kind of victim? Create some drama?

I know, I'll say I was robbed at gunpoint. Do a little fun fear-mongering, add to the negative narrative about Rio and these games. Fun! I'll make myself sound fearless in my version. Hey, what could go wrong?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
When you consider language differences and political agendas you all are being harsh on Lochte. You are in a foreign country and someone points a gun at you and indicates that you need to give up money? I might think thats robbery as well. They may not have put together the door breaking, particularly if drunk. Both sides are clearly trying to paint themselves as good as possible so lots of political issues here as well. And Brazil isnt exactly the most trusted worthy state with regards to corruption considering both the president and vice president have been found guilty of it.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I have no problems with the guards drawing their weapons.

If I was a security guard at a gas station at 5am, and 4 drunk males approached my establishment, acted destructively, I would feel justified in drawing my weapon. Guns have been drawn (and used, and they weren't in this case) for less.

Don't think anyone would be defending a bunch of local brown kids if they were the ones in the story instead of a bunch of good ol' American white dudes, 'just having fun'.

Did the guards demand cash with guns drawn? None of the footage or witnesses indicates that. Only Lochte did.

Lochte decided to whip up a fantastical story to play up the whole 'crime in Rio' narrative. Why, I'm not sure. Because he likes attention (dude had his own Reality TV show) and it's fun to cry wolf, IMHO.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I have no problems with the guards drawing their weapons.

If I was a security guard at a gas station at 5am, and 4 drunk males approached my establishment, acted destructively, I would feel justified in drawing my weapon. Guns have been drawn (and used, and they weren't in this case) for less.

Don't think anyone would be defending a bunch of local brown kids if they were the ones in the story instead of a bunch of good ol' American white dudes, 'just having fun'.

Did the guards demand cash with guns drawn? None of the footage or witnesses indicates that. Only Lochte did.

Lochte decided to whip up a fantastical story to play up the whole 'crime in Rio' narrative. Why, I'm not sure. Because he likes attention (dude had his own Reality TV show) and it's fun to cry wolf, IMHO.

I sure as hell would be. People that carry firearms need to be trained to use that as a LAST resort, not a first. Guns should only be drawn as a last resort. It's a lesson that security and police around the world have forgotten.

When you've had guns drawn on you and they are still carrying the guns the threat is implied. I don't care if the demand was made that very second. It's unclear whether there was a language barrier and what other factors may have played a factor. It seems there is a lot of hate for an incident few know the details about. And those that do have either a personal or political stake in it. I have trouble believing testimony of athletes that had passports seized in a foreign country that could have been doing/saying anything to these guys.

I personally find anything a notoriously corrupt country says to be dubious at best. I do believe that the Americans exaggerated their claim. The truth lies somewhere in the middle where everyone is trying to save face.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
When you consider language differences and political agendas you all are being harsh on Lochte. You are in a foreign country and someone points a gun at you and indicates that you need to give up money? I might think thats robbery as well. They may not have put together the door breaking, particularly if drunk. Both sides are clearly trying to paint themselves as good as possible so lots of political issues here as well. And Brazil isnt exactly the most trusted worthy state with regards to corruption considering both the president and vice president have been found guilty of it.

Oh please, no barrier here: lochte said: guy pulled gun cocked it and put it to my forehead. Guy should be ashamed of himself, making up such lies. Somehow forgot to tell today show about vandalism, must've forgot. Tried to look like a hero, no he's a loser, everyone will forget about hope solo.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Oh please, no barrier here: lochte said: guy pulled gun cocked it and put it to my forehead. Guy should be ashamed of himself, making up such lies. Somehow forgot to tell today show about vandalism, must've forgot. Tried to look like a hero, no he's a loser, everyone will forget about hope solo.

Your quibbling about whether the gun was put at his forehead or whether it was just pointed at him. That makes not the slightest difference.

He, in fact, did not lie about having a gun pulled on him and a demand for money. Even the Brazilians acknowledge this. In question is whether he was aware it for repairs for door. Between average Brazilians and the Americans there certainly could be a language barrier communicating that.

Regardless of this, I can't believe that people feel people are justified threatening other people with guns over vandalism. Regardless of anything else that is a MASSIVE overreaction.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know what the truth is, but I am somewhat persuaded by Holden's argument. I don't think Lochte is making this up out of whole cloth. I think he might be exaggerating, mistaken or omitting details.

Ultimately I have no idea though.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Your quibbling about whether the gun was put at his forehead or whether it was just pointed at him. That makes not the slightest difference.

He, in fact, did not lie about having a gun pulled on him and a demand for money. Even the Brazilians acknowledge this. In question is whether he was aware it for repairs for door. Between average Brazilians and the Americans there certainly could be a language barrier communicating that.

Regardless of this, I can't believe that people feel people are justified threatening other people with guns over vandalism. Regardless of anything else that is a MASSIVE overreaction.

Did you watch today show interview? How do you make yourself look like such a hero, and not mention the vandalism and make up cab story. How are you guys defending blatant lies he told the next day on television? !!

More than quibbling here.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
What a gong show Lochte has turned this in to. Legacy tarnished.

What time is the 200 m on tonight?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
What a gong show Lochte has turned this in to. Legacy tarnished.

What time is the 200 m on tonight?

830. Be sure to watch the 10th and last Decathlon event at 745, Warner looking to get silver or bronze but could also be off podium, it's close right now after 9 events.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone

This ain't Canada, or even the States. The rules are different. People are living much closer to the edge of poverty and basic survival.

First off, if you're a visitor to another country, you should try especially hard not to be a dick.

Secondly, if that country is very poor, it is both extremely dangerous, and extremely arrogant to walk around destroying property. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the security guards would have been fired, or meager wages withheld if they had allowed those athletes to trash the place without paying. Many common folks in these countries are barely scraping by to afford the bare necessities of life. When you start trashing their stuff, you're messing with that. Again, that's dumb, dangerous, and arrogant as ****.

Third, I don't buy for one second that the athletes misunderstood the interaction. That they didn't put 1+1 together. That their vandalism (mere moments before) = pay for the crap you broke.

I travel a lot. I see these kinds of guys around who disrespect the people and culture. Who mistreat locals because of their "superior" wealth, or country, or whatever. 99 times out of 100, it ain't a misunderstanding. They're just jerks.

edit: reading this back, I came across a little harsher than intended towards your quote, Holden. I'm not annoyed at you. I'm annoyed at guys like Lochte.

Last edited:

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I think people need to remember, Lochte wasn't the one to leak the story to the press or officials. He "lied" to his mom about what happened and his mom got mad and spouted off and the press got wind of it and then it snowballed from there. He couldn't turn back from the lie so he kept going with it. He is still a dbag, but just stating how it came about.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I haven't followed it too closely, but based on the two minute CNN story I've watched this is my understanding.

Cab pulls into a gas station. Olympians get out go into an alley. Come out of the alley try to get into the wrong cab, then get into the correct one. At which point security comes and has them leave the cab. The footage then shows them with their hands up, and later being asked to sit on the curb (The Brazilian police state security may have been armed). At which point, according to the Brazilians, the swimmers agree to pay for the damage done. I am unaware how the assessment of the damage was conducted.

My question is: Have we see evidence of the damage to the facility. I know that its alleged, but I haven't see any thing to substantiate that. Apparently, the swimmers are sticking to their story. IF they didn't vandalize the property, that seems very much like a robbery to me.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I haven't followed it too closely, but based on the two minute CNN story I've watched this is my understanding.

Cab pulls into a gas station. Olympians get out go into an alley. Come out of the alley try to get into the wrong cab, then get into the correct one. At which point security comes and has them leave the cab. The footage then shows them with their hands up, and later being asked to sit on the curb (The Brazilian police state security may have been armed). At which point, according to the Brazilians, the swimmers agree to pay for the damage done. I am unaware how the assessment of the damage was conducted.

My question is: Have we see evidence of the damage to the facility. I know that its alleged, but I haven't see any thing to substantiate that. Apparently, the swimmers are sticking to their story. IF they didn't vandalize the property, that seems very much like a robbery to me.

They broke the bathroom door trying to get in and ripped a poster or something like that and of course urinated on a wall at the gas station. 2 of the swimmers have said it wasn't a robbery. At least that is what I heard.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
They broke the bathroom door trying to get in and ripped a poster or something like that and of course urinated on a wall at the gas station. 2 of the swimmers have said it wasn't a robbery. At least that is what I heard.

Could be, like I said I haven't followed to closely. CNN said the "swimmers are sticking with their story".
And I'm aware that its alleged that they broke the door etc, but its just that, an allegation.

Lochte is no sympathetic figure, and has lied. I have no problem with the public tarring.

Just seems to me that coming to an arrangement to pay for damage at gun point (at worst) or with people speaking another language (at best) is somewhat shady.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
Could be, like I said I haven't followed to closely. CNN said the "swimmers are sticking with their story".
And I'm aware that its alleged that they broke the door etc, but its just that, an allegation.

Lochte is no sympathetic figure, and has lied. I have no problem with the public tarring.

Just seems to me that coming to an arrangement to pay for damage at gun point (at worst) or with people speaking another language (at best) is somewhat shady.

It's a poor country, that isn't news. When you vandalize something, you jeopardize their livelihood since they can't afford some simple things. They were already in a taxi ready to leave before that guy approached them. I have no problem how that security guy handled it. If you break something you should pay for it.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
It's a poor country, that isn't news. When you vandalize something, you jeopardize their livelihood since they can't afford some simple things. They were already in a taxi ready to leave before that guy approached them. I have no problem how that security guy handled it. If you break something you should pay for it.

I'm not saying they should have impunity.

Like I said, I haven't seen anything to substantiate the claim that they vandalized anything. If they did, they should pay what it would cost to repair/replace it. That amount, despite their allegedly foolish behaviour, should not be all the money they have on them.

Like I said, I'm coming from a place of relative ignorance. Perhaps that information is out there, and I haven't seen it.
But the fact that someone says they broke a door, doesn't necessarily make it true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad